2014 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

OK, Dodger fans...count me in your camp. I hope the Pygmies go winless for the rest of the year.

The San Francisco Giants have prevailed in their protest of Tuesday night's tarp-snafu game, MLB announced.

The game between the Giants and the Cubs will be resumed at 5 ET Thursday before the teams' regularly scheduled game, according to multiple reports. It will start in the bottom of the fifth with the Cubs leading, 2-0.

Rain had halted play after 4 1/2 innings at Wrigley Field on Tuesday, the minimum length for a regulation major league game. That began a 4-hour, 34-minute delay that extended until the victory was awarded to the Cubs in the wee hours of Wednesday morning.

Cubs officials and the umpiring crew insisted that they were aware of the game's importance to the Giants, who are competing for a postseason berth. But the grounds crew appeared to struggle to cover the field properly with the tarpaulin, which led to excess water being dumped on the infield dirt when the crew attempted to remove the tarp.

The Giants claimed that not enough was done to dry the infield in a timely manner.

The Giants are the first to prevail in an MLB game protest in 28 years. On June 16, 1986, the the Pirates won a protest that a game in Pittsburgh against St. Louis ended prematurely with the Cardinals leading, 4-1. The game was resumed two days later. (The Cardinals held on to win, 4-2.)

http://espn.go.com/c...vs-chicago-cubs

Now watch them go on a 10 game winning streak.

This is BS!! :madra:

Speaking of the Dodgers. They are starting to piss me off. :banghead:

OK, Dodger fans...count me in your camp. I hope the Pygmies go winless for the rest of the year.

The San Francisco Giants have prevailed in their protest of Tuesday night's tarp-snafu game, MLB announced.

The game between the Giants and the Cubs will be resumed at 5 ET Thursday before the teams' regularly scheduled game, according to multiple reports. It will start in the bottom of the fifth with the Cubs leading, 2-0.

Rain had halted play after 4 1/2 innings at Wrigley Field on Tuesday, the minimum length for a regulation major league game. That began a 4-hour, 34-minute delay that extended until the victory was awarded to the Cubs in the wee hours of Wednesday morning.

Cubs officials and the umpiring crew insisted that they were aware of the game's importance to the Giants, who are competing for a postseason berth. But the grounds crew appeared to struggle to cover the field properly with the tarpaulin, which led to excess water being dumped on the infield dirt when the crew attempted to remove the tarp.

The Giants claimed that not enough was done to dry the infield in a timely manner.

The Giants are the first to prevail in an MLB game protest in 28 years. On June 16, 1986, the the Pirates won a protest that a game in Pittsburgh against St. Louis ended prematurely with the Cardinals leading, 4-1. The game was resumed two days later. (The Cardinals held on to win, 4-2.)

http://espn.go.com/c...vs-chicago-cubs

Now watch them go on a 10 game winning streak.

This is BS!! :madra:

Speaking of the Dodgers. They are starting to piss me off. :banghead:

Me too!

• Like 1

Richards is now being taken off the field on a stretcher. His knee buckled covering first and he collapsed. He was down and motionless for about 10 minutes.

Ugly injury. I'd be surprised if he pitches again this year. :(

freaky, unfortunate accident...

Both the Yanks and A-Rod are preparing for his return next season. Despite the fact that I don't want to see A-Rod in a Yankees uniform at all, I don't like the idea of him spelling Chase Headley at third. And the idea of him taking over for the retiring Jeter at short is sacrilegious.

Are they really bringing A-Rod back?

They're stuck with his obscenely huge contract, so what choice do they have?

Pretty much none. He's a 5/10 guy and has a full no trade clause. Plus, even if they find a team A-Rod is willing to sign off on, no team will be willing to take his contract unless the Yankees agree to pay a huge portion of the salary as a condition of the trade. Sure, the Yankees do that a lot (agree to pay a portion of a salary to send a player elsewhere), but the dollars they will likely have to shell out for A-Rod to be in another uniform is likely obscene.

Some sources have said A-Rod would be willing to take a trade.... but I really doubt that is accurate. If there is anything we have learned about A-Rod in the past couple of years, it is A) he is stubborn, and B) he is not very smart.

The best thing A-Rod could do for himself and his image is agree to a restructuring of his contract and/or a trade. The trade would be the better move because it would give him a pseudo fresh start and likely put him in a position of less pressure. But, again, I would be shocked if he ever realized that.

So, yep, the Yankees have painted themselves in a corner. Their options are A) play him or B) pay him and not play him. Either way, he collects a check.

• Like 1

I am new to this portion of the board. Here's my baseball story. Born and raised in St. Louis. Diehard Cardinal fan, but also a diehard baseball fan. No, I do not like the Cubs, but I do wish they would get competitive soon because I miss the rivalry. Even though they are in my team's division, I have a fondness for the Brewers and Pirates... Milwaukee because I think small market clubs doing well are good for the game... Pittsburgh because I admire the team's history and think the world of Clemente. The Reds? Notsomuch. I think their clubhouse is a bunch of punks. :)

Also, because I live in Texas, I now follow the Houston Astros. I didn't when they were in the NL Central, but now that they are AL, I can root for them. The second team fandom is also a nod to Craig Biggio, who I always admired as a player.

*But*.... I hate the DH. Hate, hate, hate it. I think pitchers need to get in the box as it keeps them honest and they are less likely to head hunt.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

No, I do not like the Cubs, but I do wish they would get competitive soon because I miss the rivalry.

Starting about 2016 or 2017, you're probably going to regret that.

• Like 1

No, I do not like the Cubs, but I do wish they would get competitive soon because I miss the rivalry.

I actually look forward to it. Beating the Cubs these days is about as enjoyable as kicking puppies. I wouldn't mind Chicago not just competing, but making it interesting for the Cardinals (as St. Louis is probably going to be the only other team to consistently compete in the division in the next five to seven years).

Besides... which of these is true of the last time the Cubs won a World Series?

A) World War I had not started

B) The Titanic had not sunk

C) Penicillin had not been invented

D) All of the above

The answer, of course, is "D". In the meantime, the Cardinals have rattled off 27 playoff appearances, 19 pennants, and 11 World Series. There is really nothing to fear from a revitalized Cub organization since they would have to have an incredible run for the next, oh, three decades, to catch the Cardinals on lore and mystique.

And after 106 years and counting, I will be honest, as much as I don't like the Cubs, if they make the post-season, I will pull for them so long as they aren't playing my guys... they are due.

Like I said, it's just not fun anymore!

Taking "Wait until next year" to a whole 'nother level, I see. Just you wait two or three years from now!

:madra:

Taking "Wait until next year" to a whole 'nother level, I see. Just you wait two or three years from now!

:madra:

Hey, you got to be realistic, you know what they say about people who overhype things. And there's some chance that the kids won't pan out. You know, Javier Baez only has the same number of HRs as phenom Bryce Harper. Sure, he's only been up for three weeks...

I actually look forward to it. Beating the Cubs these days is about as enjoyable as kicking puppies. I wouldn't mind Chicago not just competing, but making it interesting for the Cardinals (as St. Louis is probably going to be the only other team to consistently compete in the division in the next five to seven years).

D) All of the above

The answer, of course, is "D". In the meantime, the Cardinals have rattled off 27 playoff appearances, 19 pennants, and 11 World Series. There is really nothing to fear from a revitalized Cub organization since they would have to have an incredible run for the next, oh, three decades, to catch the Cardinals on lore and mystique.

And after 106 years and counting, I will be honest, as much as I don't like the Cubs, if they make the post-season, I will pull for them so long as they aren't playing my guys... they are due.

Who's won more games head to head? Any idea...

Even this year, the Cards are only 7-5 against the Cubs. And the Cubs have outscored them overall. So much for the kicking puppies analogies.

You're not going to hit .330 w RISP every year, you know...

Thanks for making me root for a Boston team :puke: last year.

Edited because I missed a series.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

D) All of the above

Even this year, the Cards are only 7-5 against the Cubs. And the Cubs have outscored them overall. So much for the kicking puppies analogies.

You didn't root for the Sox last October because you just wanted me to be happy?

D) All of the above

You didn't root for the Sox last October because you just wanted me to be happy?

That was third...

From third to first...

3) The happiness of you and your fellow Masshole teatards.

2) Hatred of the Cardinals

1) Hoping to hear Elizabeth Warren, in full headdress at the parade commemorating the victory, telling Ben Cherington "You didn't build this!"

D) All of the above

That was third...

From third to first...

1) Hoping to hear Elizabeth Warren, in full headdress at the parade commemorating the victory, telling Ben Cherington "You didn't build this!"

Have you ever considered giving up following sports? Just asking, because you do virtually nothing but root against teams (and their fans). That's kind of screwed up......

D) All of the above

That was third...

From third to first...

Have you ever considered giving up following sports? Just asking, because you do virtually nothing but root against teams (and their fans). That's kind of screwed up......

Nope.

• Like 1

The future may be here before anyone thought.

Baez with number 7 in only his 78th AB...

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

D) All of the above

That was third...

From third to first...

Nope.

Besides that it's almost time for you to start hatin' the Irish again. :atickhum:

• Like 1

Well that was a nice little stomping of the Giants the Nats had today. Pretty much made up for Friday night's loss, and then some. Plus, beating them 6-2 yesterday was quite a treat as well. And thanks to Cincinnati's beating of the Braves yesterday and today, the Nats have an 8 game lead over Atlanta, the largest lead of any first place team over a second place team.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Washington-Nationals-_zpsc19cba67.jpg

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 1

the Nats have an 8 game lead over Atlanta, the largest lead of any first place team over a second place team.

Thanks in part to the Cubbies, who swept the O's and cut their lead from 9 to 6.

• Like 1

the Nats have an 8 game lead over Atlanta, the largest lead of any first place team over a second place team.

Thanks in part to the Cubbies, who swept the O's and cut their lead from 9 to 6.

Thanks, Cubbies!

And it's quite impressive that they swept the O's.

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Thanks, Cubbies!

Shut em down. 4 runs in three games for the Birds. 1 hitter today.

Thanks, Cubbies!

Didn't you guys use some Japanese pitcher? I heard Phil Wood on the radio talk about how the O's had signed that guy to a big contract, only to have him get injured and never once pitch for them. Now he pitches for the Cubs, and is quite good.

Thanks, Cubbies!

Didn't you guys use some Japanese pitcher? I heard Phil Wood on the radio talk about how the O's had signed that guy to a big contract, only to have him get injured and never once pitch for them. Now he pitches for the Cubs, and is quite good.

Yep, his name is Wada, and he's been really good so far. Kind of a junkballer but definitely effective, at least the first time around.

D) All of the above

Yes, I am very aware of the fact that over the course of history, the Cubs have the head-to-head series over St. Louis. Coming in to the season it was +30 games for Chicago since the supposed "Modern Era". That is primarily due to the fact that, for their first 30 years, the Cardinals were awful and didn't start their tradition until 1926. By the way, run that number in the last 50 years and it's the Cardinals up +30 - a +60 game swing. But Cub fans can hold on to the lifetime head-to-head record, I will gladly take Lou Brock and 11 World Series! :)

As for the Cardinals only being +2 over Chicago so far this year, I am actually good with that. That last five years have been 2009 + 4 STL, 2010 +3 CHC, 2011 +5 STL, 2012 +3 STL, and 2013 +5 STL. There are 7 games left (4 at Busch, 3 at Wrigley) between the teams this year. It is very likely the Cardinals can end up in the +3 or +4 range again this year and, truly, I think all baseball fans would recognize the Cardinals, who are in a tight race for the division (the play-in Wild Card really does mean you want that division now), playing Chicago 7 times in the last 5 weeks is good for St. Louis, especially since Chicago will likely use September call ups to evaluate for the future.

That said, I do not expect the Cubs to roll over in those 7 games. The reason the seasons are still relatively close with Chicago in a down cycle is the nature of the rivalry. Again, I look forward to the rivalry looking more like it did in the 1980s and 1990s. It is good for the Cardinals. It is good for the Cubs. It is good for baseball.

Plus, a return to the good ol' days of Cards/Cubs, or Cubs/Cards depending upon your perspective, might get ESPN to broadcast some games other than NYY/BOS!

• Like 1