2014 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

Pirates have won 12 of 14.......might just take the division, if the damn reds could scratch a couple runs accross against John Lackey...............

Relying on the Reds is not a position you want to be in. Maybe their impressive amount of hatred toward StL is one thing in your favor but they seem to have packed it in.

http://www.mercuryne...spedes-departed

Autopsies will abound once it's over. But from this view, the demise of the A's has everything to do with the evaporation of esprit de corps that made the team special and dangerous for 2½ years. There was something substantive to Oakland being greater than the sum of its parts, that everybody got along so well, and the Bob Melvin mantra of "play for today" was a genuine rallying cry to their success.

It didn't turn for the worse with the Yoenis Cespedes trade. In truth, it started to change the day Oakland sent Tommy Milone to the minor leagues July 5. Milone wasn't so much a casualty of the Samardzija acquisition but the accompanying Jason Hammel move that left no place for him. Manager Melvin confidently predicted Milone was too essential to the mix to be gone for long, but of course, once the pitcher asked to be traded, he was gone forever.

I know that injuries have also been a part of the A's collapse, But losing the collective and individual will to over-achieve has to be part of the equation.

Edited by goose

http://www.duetsblog.com/uploads/image/los-doyers_1.jpg

Going...going...Gone-zales!!!!

Ooops. They ended up losing the game. :facepalm:

:LOL:

Pissed me off,

I had to work soon after the Cubs rallied. All good though. Today Dodgers win Giants lose :7up: Up by 4.5 games. Magic number is three :D

• Like 1

Donaldson made a great play at 3rd last night against the Angels. I'm going out on a limb and saying that it will mark the moment that the A's got back on track to rescue the season and propelled them to the title.

You read it here first!

WS 2014: A's over Dodgers in six.

Donaldson made a great play at 3rd last night against the Angels. I'm going out on a limb and saying that it will mark the moment that the A's got back on track to rescue the season and propelled them to the title.

You read it here first!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U157X0jy5iw

:D

• Like 1

You read it here first!

I think the 2005 White Sox limped to the finish and turned it around in the playoffs. They didn't have to face a play in game though, so there's not much room for error starting next week.

• Like 2

Congrats, tx_rush...the Buccos have clinched at least a wild card. Hopefully they can catch the Cards.

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/brian-wilson-champagne-world-series-celebration.gif

Yes, playoffs!!!

But seriously, your cubs just choked away a 3 run lead, we need some help to catch the dead birds

• Like 1

You read it here first!

I think the 2005 White Sox limped to the finish and turned it around in the playoffs. They didn't have to face a play in game though, so there's not much room for error starting next week.

Completely agree. You mentioned the 2005 ChiSox. Another example (both directions) exists with my beloved 'birds. The 2004 Cardinals crushed the league in the regular season, only to implode in the World Series. The 2006 Cardinals had a very mediocre regular season record, but won the World Series over Detroit, a team that mostly cruised that year.

The Pirates might be peaking at the right moment. The Cardinals are playing very good baseball right now, but the Pirates are just playing a bit better. For a while, I thought 89 wins would take the division, but it is looking more like 91 and even though the Cardinals could reach that point fairly easily, Pittsburgh could just as reach 92 wins.

There's a lot at stake between the two clubs. The play-in game is one of the few things I think Selig got right. There is now legitimate value to winning your division and the Wild Card team in the Division Series is almost automatically at a disadvantage because of the play-in.

An example: St. Louis is certainly trying to win the division, but if Pitt wins out (which it seems they might be able to do given they are playing a hapless Atlanta team and then a Cincy team with little to play for), it is very possible the Pirates will take the division.

Matheny, of course, will work to align his pitching rotation so that his ace, Wainwright, starts the first game of the post-season. If that game is the Wild Card play-in, St. Louis is at a disadvantage even if they win that play-in against (likely) San Fran. Sure, Waino gets you to the next level, but you only have him for one game in the DS... two if you happen to go to a 5th game and pitch him on short rest somewhere in that series.

The same thing goes for Pitt. Hurdle has a bit of an option for the first game of the post-season in that he could go with Volquez or Liriano. Realistically, though, Liriano is probably the better move because he is pitching better at the moment. But even then, in a play-in situation, you burn the hottest pitcher you have prior to the DS. Still, Pitt seems to have the upper hand in that situation and, even though they are 1.5 back, might have the upper hand to get the division.

So, yeah, anything can generally happen in the post-season, but the play-in game makes it that much more likely.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

The Jays were mathematically eliminated from post season participation last night. :sigh: This is the first year in a long time I followed baseball this closely... sometimes the Jays could do no wrong, other games they almost looked like a Triple A team (IMO of course). Oh well, maybe next year.

To all the TRF baseball fans who support teams that qualify for the playoffs, I say best wishes and good luck...

It's always a great day for baseball when either (a) the Red Sox qualify for the post season or (b) the Yankees are eliminated from playoff contention.

It's a great October for the rest of the country when they can enjoy the playoffs instead of having the Yankees and Red Sox jammed down their throats.

On the other hand, it's standing room only on the ledges at the "Worldwide Loser".

• Like 1

Kirk Gibson has been fired.

Good riddance. He can take his scrawny, limping carcass and his bean balls and stay AWAY from MLB.....

Kirk Gibson has been fired.

Good riddance. He can take his scrawny, limping carcass and his bean balls and stay AWAY from MLB.....

He was great with the Dodgers,

But when your a manager of a team that is in the same division I have no sympathy. :P

It's always a great day for baseball when either (a) the Red Sox qualify for the post season or (b) the Yankees are eliminated from playoff contention.

It's a great October for the rest of the country when they can enjoy the playoffs instead of having the Yankees and Red Sox jammed down their throats.

On the other hand, it's standing room only on the ledges at the "Worldwide Loser".

1,000 times agree. It's as if the four letter network is unaware of the 28 other teams in MLB.

Yes, it's a great rivalry. Yes. there's a lot of history. Yes, those teams have a lot of fans. But those three statements are also true of the Cards-Cubs and Dodgers-Giants.

There are also some compelling "lesser" rivalries and, oh, 10 other teams not named "Red Sox" or "Yankees" that *have* made the post season, but ESPN does not seem to be aware of this alternate universe the rest of us call reality.

• Like 1

Okay... I am going to say it... I am a native St. Louisan and a life long, die hard Cardinal fan, but I am also a baseball fan and fully capable of being able to assess a situation without bias.

Given that.... my pick to win it all is Pittsburgh. They are peaking at the right time and might finally be able to shake the ghost of Sid Bream.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1803797/wYZLxRg.jpg

Got a win today. One in a row. These days we call that a streak.

The A's drew 2,003,628 fans at home this season, their first year with 2 million since 2005.

Moneyball.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Okay... I am going to say it... I am a native St. Louisan and a life long, die hard Cardinal fan, but I am also a baseball fan and fully capable of being able to assess a situation without bias.

Given that.... my pick to win it all is Pittsburgh. They are peaking at the right time and might finally be able to shake the ghost of Sid Bream.

They will eventually choke, IMO. I actually think the Cardinals or the Dodgers will go. In the AL... Im too way up in the air on too many teams.

• Like 1

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1803797/wYZLxRg.jpg

Got a win today. One in a row. These days we call that a streak.

The A's drew 2,003,628 fans at home this season, their first year with 2 million since 2005.

Moneyball.

Your living on the edge heading in to the final games. :LOL:

• Like 1