2014 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

At least true Halo fans (since 89 in my case) know what it's like to be an underdog especially with those terrible years in the early 90s.

My extended family are long-time Angels fans. My grandma used to take me to games in Anaheim (she lived not too far away). I got to see Rod Carew bat, Nolan Ryan pitch, and Reggie Jackson miss lots of fly balls ( :LOL: ). I was never a huge fan, but they lost me when they dumped the traditional logo.

Those late 90s Anaheim jerseys are F-U-G-L-Y. :boo hiss:

At least true Halo fans (since 89 in my case) know what it's like to be an underdog especially with those terrible years in the early 90s.

My extended family are long-time Angels fans. My grandma used to take me to games in Anaheim (she lived not too far away). I got to see Rod Carew bat, Nolan Ryan pitch, and Reggie Jackson miss lots of fly balls ( :LOL: ). I was never a huge fan, but they lost me when they dumped the traditional logo.

After being swept,

They might reconsider. :P

Okay... I am going to say it... I am a native St. Louisan and a life long, die hard Cardinal fan, but I am also a baseball fan and fully capable of being able to assess a situation without bias.

Given that.... my pick to win it all is Pittsburgh. They are peaking at the right time and might finally be able to shake the ghost of Sid Bream.

They will eventually choke, IMO. I actually think the Cardinals or the Dodgers will go. In the AL... Im too way up in the air on too many teams.

I like Kershaw to carry his team in the NL. In the AL, the Tigers' and the A's pitching staffs are going to be tough to beat in a series.

In the NL, I think it will probably be the Evil Empire (NL Edition) pulling it off. Kershaw is this generation's Greg Maddux, I'm afraid, and the history of the Natties gives me pause before I'd pick them.

In the AL, it will of course, come down to the two teams it always does, the Yankees and the Red Sox. :) Meanwhile, the A's may never even get to a series.

I keep hearing from quite a few Dodger fans that, "Of course the Dodgers will get past the Cardinals. The Dodgers have Kershaw." It's as if they do not realize the Cardinals have this guy named Wainwright to go up against Kershaw and he's pretty good, too. It's as if they do not realize the Cardinals have a ridiculous record in one run games this year. It's as if they forget they said the same thing last year. Don't get me wrong, Kershaw is the real deal and the Dodgers are legit.... but maybe, just maybe, they should actually play the series before sending any team on to the NLCS? My only regret is the Dodgers have not brought back that pathetic "Mickey Mouse" taunt. It seems to be very motivating...

Except the Cards are holding back Wainwright's start until Game 2.

I realize I am a bit late on this (I have been traveling and not on the board), but, no, Wainwright did indeed pitch Game 1. That came in to play the moment the Reds beat the Pirates in game 162 and locked the Cardinals for the division. Waino sat against Arizona and *that* game became little more than a Spring Training exhibition (nearly literally). I mean, come on my man, you have no reason to doubt me regarding information on the Cardinals. :eh:

Now, as for other things.... I was quite bummed by the Pirates bowing out in the Wild Card. :facepalm: One of the realities of the one game play-in is the better team may not win. I am not saying the Giants aren't good (they are), but I feel like Pitt makes a better showing in a series. Alas, that's the beauty of the new structure. You have to win the division...

I am, though, very pleased that Royals not only got past, but swept, the Angels. Small market baseball beating big money baseball is very good for the game and Kansas City has waited a very long time for this kind of fall. Here's to hoping for a chance at redemption for 1985. I would say a "replay" of 1985, but the fact that we now *have* replay is relevant, yes? :huh:

Either way, we are looking at a League Championship Series match up of KC/Baltimore... so it really does feel like the 1980s.

Okay... I am going to say it... I am a native St. Louisan and a life long, die hard Cardinal fan, but I am also a baseball fan and fully capable of being able to assess a situation without bias.

Given that.... my pick to win it all is Pittsburgh. They are peaking at the right time and might finally be able to shake the ghost of Sid Bream.

They will eventually choke, IMO. I actually think the Cardinals or the Dodgers will go. In the AL... Im too way up in the air on too many teams.

I like Kershaw to carry his team in the NL. In the AL, the Tigers' and the A's pitching staffs are going to be tough to beat in a series.

In the NL, I think it will probably be the Evil Empire (NL Edition) pulling it off. Kershaw is this generation's Greg Maddux, I'm afraid, and the history of the Natties gives me pause before I'd pick them.

In the AL, it will of course, come down to the two teams it always does, the Yankees and the Red Sox. :) Meanwhile, the A's may never even get to a series.

I keep hearing from quite a few Dodger fans that, "Of course the Dodgers will get past the Cardinals. The Dodgers have Kershaw." It's as if they do not realize the Cardinals have this guy named Wainwright to go up against Kershaw and he's pretty good, too. It's as if they do not realize the Cardinals have a ridiculous record in one run games this year. It's as if they forget they said the same thing last year. Don't get me wrong, Kershaw is the real deal and the Dodgers are legit.... but maybe, just maybe, they should actually play the series before sending any team on to the NLCS? My only regret is the Dodgers have not brought back that pathetic "Mickey Mouse" taunt. It seems to be very motivating...

I realize I am a bit late on this (I have been traveling and not on the board), but, no, Wainwright did indeed pitch Game 1. That came in to play the moment the Reds beat the Pirates in game 162 and locked the Cardinals for the division. Waino sat against Arizona and *that* game became little more than a Spring Training exhibition (nearly literally). I mean, come on my man, you have no reason to doubt me regarding information on the Cardinals. :eh:

Now, as for other things.... I was quite bummed by the Pirates bowing out in the Wild Card. :facepalm: One of the realities of the one game play-in is the better team may not win. I am not saying the Giants aren't good (they are), but I feel like Pitt makes a better showing in a series. Alas, that's the beauty of the new structure. You have to win the division...

I am, though, very pleased that Royals not only got past, but swept, the Angels. Small market baseball beating big money baseball is very good for the game and Kansas City has waited a very long time for this kind of fall. Here's to hoping for a chance at redemption for 1985. I would say a "replay" of 1985, but the fact that we now *have* replay is relevant, yes? :huh:

Either way, we are looking at a League Championship Series match up of KC/Baltimore... so it really does feel like the 1980s.

• Like 1

Small market baseball beating big money baseball is very good for the game ......

I cannot think of anything that is better for the game of baseball than this. :haz:

• Like 1

Sorry, I got bad information on the Wainwright start. Mea culpa.

• Like 1

Small market baseball beating big money baseball is very good for the game ......

I cannot think of anything that is better for the game of baseball than this. :haz:

Even I agree. My team USED to be small market so I know how it feels. It's so nice to see a Yanks/Red Sox free playoffs. Who cares if they're not "marquee names" like Miggy, Jeter or even my Trout? Good teams are good teams. The reason why the Yanks, and even sometimes my Angels, have floundered at times like last season is because their farm system isn't good and they just focus on aging veterans. *cough*Beltran*cough* Without a farm system, there's no Jeter, Mariano and Bernie Williams or Glaus, Salmon and Garret Anderson in my team's case.

After being swept,

Hell, now that I think of it, many teams went through that phase of ugly jerseys. Remember that star Houston Astros logo from back then?

• Like 1

After being swept,

Hell, now that I think of it, many teams went through that phase of ugly jerseys. Remember that star Houston Astros logo from back then?

Yep,

But I thought it was ok. My problem with them was it seems they were always changing some thing on there uniform.

• Like 1

The Red Sox winning it all?

If I didn't despise that boob Showalter, I'd be pulling for Baltimore. So right now it's the Senators.

• Like 1

Looks looks my Pick 4 prescience extends to baseball.

The Red Sox winning it all?

Let me think about that for a second......umm, NO. ;)

• Like 2

After being swept,

Yep,

But I thought it was ok. My problem with them was it seems they were always changing some thing on there uniform.

How about the Padres and their turnstile approach to uniform design?

http://files.leagueathletics.com/Images/Club/6914/Padres%20Uniform%20for%20LJYB.JPG

• Like 1

After being swept,

Yep,

How about the Padres and their turnstile approach to uniform design?

http://files.leagueathletics.com/Images/Club/6914/Padres%20Uniform%20for%20LJYB.JPG

:LOL:

Perfect example,

Same with the Oregon Ducks.

The Milwaukee Brewers have announced that manager Ron Roenicke will return in 2015. :ebert: :boo hiss: :huh:

Not returning are hitting coach Johnny Narron and infield/1st base coach Garth Iorg. All other coaches were offered new deals.

Roenicke's retention suggests that the PLAYERS are taking the most heat from owner Mark Attanasio and General Manager Doug Melvin. A main concern is the Brewer hitters chasing bad pitches, a.k.a. bad discipline at the plate. Hiring a new hitting coach will, in the team's eyes, help remedy that dysfunction.

Brewer fans are heavily mixed, as expected. Many fans want to use the tar and feathers on Roenicke, while others lean more towards the Team's position. In any case, something has to CHANGE. The Brewers have too much talent on the roster to be falling apart late in the year.

GO BREWERS! STOP CHOKING AND WIN!!

http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/milwaukee-brewers-logo.gif

Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina has been fined $5,000.00 by MLB for shoving an umpire during the NLDS.

Molina makes $15,000,000.00 a year. The fine is 1/3000 of his salary.

A fine of this "magnitude" for the average worker ($30,000.00) would be $10.00. :o :D

• Like 1

Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina has been fined $5,000.00 by MLB for shoving an umpire during the NLDS.

A fine of this "magnitude" for the average worker ($30,000.00) would be $10.00. :o :D

This is why athletes don't give a crap about fines. It's nothing to them.

BTW, what was the situation? I don't recall seeing it.

This is why athletes don't give a crap about fines. It's nothing to them.

BTW, what was the situation? I don't recall seeing it.

Game 1 of the NLDS. Wainright hit Yasiel Puig, and Adrian Gonzales, who was next up, had "words" with Molina. The two got face to face, and the ump was "accidentally" pushed out of the way so the pleasant conversation could continue.... :D