2014 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

I actually cannot wait for this season to be mercifully over. The Rangers have had a nightmare year, record-wise, and now we have lost Wash. It was incredibly painful to see Ryan leave last year, and now this. My heart is breaking into a thousand little pieces!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Yeah,

I was really surprised things were not better.

I actually cannot wait for this season to be mercifully over. The Rangers have had a nightmare year, record-wise, and now we have lost Wash. It was incredibly painful to see Ryan leave last year, and now this. My heart is breaking into a thousand little pieces!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Washington is an easy guy to like. Hope he gets his stuff squared away and gets back into the game.

• Like 3

How about the Brewers monumental collapse?

Pirates currently in 2nd wildcard spot if things ended today. We have a pretty favorable schedule from here on out

http://www.baseballflagsandpennants.com/images_products/pittsburgh_pirates_nation_flag_61934sma.jpg

I am a native St. Louisan and a Cardinal guy, but I must admit my favorite player of all time is Clemente. For that, I have much respect for Pittsburgh. I hope they hold on to that Wild Card and take out San Fran to play in the NLDS. Good baseball in Pitt, Milwaukee, KC, etc. is good for baseball. So, hold on Bucs!

• Like 1

The Rangers are as snake bit a franchise as I have ever seen. The back-to-back WS losses (with the second being monumental). The infighting in the front office. And, now, an injury list that is just.... absurd... that is the only word I can think of.

I completely get why a Ranger fan would be ready for the season to be over with. I am an NL guy, but I live in Texas. I would like to see the Rangers return to form. Hell, I would like to see the Astros get back to form, too!

• Like 3

Washington is an easy guy to like. Hope he gets his stuff squared away and gets back into the game.

Me too! Still no explaination of what's going on with him. It has to be pretty serious for him to quit instead of taking a leave of absense.

The Rangers are as snake bit a franchise as I have ever seen. The back-to-back WS losses (with the second being monumental). The infighting in the front office. And, now, an injury list that is just.... absurd... that is the only word I can think of.

I completely get why a Ranger fan would be ready for the season to be over with. I am an NL guy, but I live in Texas. I would like to see the Rangers return to form. Hell, I would like to see the Astros get back to form, too!

The Astros have had a good season, in relative terms. They are doing major rebuilding and succeeding. The Rangers replaced them this season as the worst team in MLB. I'm sure they are having a field day with that. And, they have Nolan Ryan. You just know they're loving the hell out of it. :facepalm:

Remember this roster? :codger: :D

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1976&t=HOU

Me too! Still no explaination of what's going on with him. It has to be pretty serious for him to quit instead of taking a leave of absense.

Wash loves the game. He is good for the game. Whatever this thing is, it can't be good. Sadly, I have heard a few baseball "fans" talking a lot of trash about this. Even more sadly, I think their trash talk has more to do with melanin that their understanding of baseball, or humanity. Wash has done something no other Ranger manager has been able to do... get the team to meaningful fall baseball on a consistent basis. I think the real baseball minds in the game understand that. If he wants to come back, he will have the shot. It might not be in Texas, but that might actually be better for him.

The Astros have had a good season, in relative terms. They are doing major rebuilding and succeeding. The Rangers replaced them this season as the worst team in MLB. I'm sure they are having a field day with that. And, they have Nolan Ryan. You just know they're loving the hell out of it. :facepalm:

Agreed. They are looking at a +15 to +20 over last year. That is huge.

The future is bright for the Astros. They no longer have an owner who, frankly, didn't even understand the basics of the game. Drayton McClane was not a baseball guy at any level. They now have an owner who, while apparently a bit of a d*** (do a Google search on Crane and his EEOC fine and you will catch my drift), actually knows baseball. More importantly, they have Jeff Luhnow as their GM. All that talk about the "Cardinal Way" and the Cardinals having the most organized organization in baseball? That was Jeff Luhnow's doing. The man knows how to build a deep, deep, DEEP farm system.

Here's the thing.... I am a Cardinal fan who loves baseball and particularly loves good baseball. I grew up with the Cardinals in the NL East and lived through the rivalries in that division... mostly the 1980s Mets with a little Philly, Montreal, and Chicago thrown in here and there. Yeah, the Cubs are always the rival, but that's about history and geography as well as baseball. But the transition to the NL Central in the 1990s changed the landscape. The teams changed and the rivalry became Houston. Those were good years.... Bagwell, Biggio, and a few other Bs. I "hated" Houston during those years, but had mad respect for those guys, particularly Biggio... I even wear a rainbow Biggio jersey from time-to-time. The truth is I actually hate the Astros in the AL, but I want them to return to form because of the 1990s. Those were good years for the game.

• Like 1

The future is bright for the Astros. They no longer have an owner who, frankly, didn't even understand the basics of the game. Drayton McClane was not a baseball guy at any level. They now have an owner who, while apparently a bit of a d*** (do a Google search on Crane and his EEOC fine and you will catch my drift), actually knows baseball. More importantly, they have Jeff Luhnow as their GM. All that talk about the "Cardinal Way" and the Cardinals having the most organized organization in baseball? That was Jeff Luhnow's doing. The man knows how to build a deep, deep, DEEP farm system.

Here's the thing.... I am a Cardinal fan who loves baseball and particularly loves good baseball. I grew up with the Cardinals in the NL East and lived through the rivalries in that division... mostly the 1980s Mets with a little Philly, Montreal, and Chicago thrown in here and there. Yeah, the Cubs are always the rival, but that's about history and geography as well as baseball. But the transition to the NL Central in the 1990s changed the landscape. The teams changed and the rivalry became Houston. Those were good years.... Bagwell, Biggio, and a few other Bs. I "hated" Houston during those years, but had mad respect for those guys, particularly Biggio... I even wear a rainbow Biggio jersey from time-to-time. The truth is I actually hate the Astros in the AL, but I want them to return to form because of the 1990s. Those were good years for the game.

I've heard that even though Luhnow obviously knows what he's doing, that he's made a few mistakes along the way that might be the harbinger of bad things to come, most recently losing the #1 pick in the entire draft. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

A's now 7 back of the Angels...only 2 up on the Mariners. Losing to the likes of the hapless Astros.

How's that Cespedes trade looking now? :facepalm:

It would be easy to blame the A's collapse on the YoCes trade, but there are many other factors that have contributed to it.

*Coco's nagging injuries that keep him out of the lineup. Hell, he was in a hitting slump for weeks before the injuries started to hit.

*Moss forgetting how to hit.

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

*Abad's sudden and inexplicable inability to find the strike zone.

*If Lester wasn't in the rotation, Chavez likely still would be, and we would have lost a few more games during his shaky starts.

There are lots of reasons the A's are losing, and I think the tailspin would still be happening if La Potencia was still patrolling left field.

I saw the highlights of yesterday's game. Those ninth inning walks are always killer.

They were winning on chemistry...

A's now 7 back of the Angels...only 2 up on the Mariners. Losing to the likes of the hapless Astros.

It would be easy to blame the A's collapse on the YoCes trade, but there are many other factors that have contributed to it.

*Coco's nagging injuries that keep him out of the lineup. Hell, he was in a hitting slump for weeks before the injuries started to hit.

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

*If Lester wasn't in the rotation, Chavez likely still would be, and we would have lost a few more games during his shaky starts.

There are lots of reasons the A's are losing, and I think the tailspin would still be happening if La Potencia was still patrolling left field.

I saw the highlights of yesterday's game. Those ninth inning walks are always killer.

For me, the bottom line is that if they're truly worthy of the playoffs, they'll withstand the loss of one player. That's what championship teams do.

I've heard that even though Luhnow obviously knows what he's doing, that he's made a few mistakes along the way that might be the harbinger of bad things to come, most recently losing the #1 pick in the entire draft. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

The Aiken thing just feels a bit shady, doesn't it? Once they realized they didn't like the outcome of the MRI, they seemed to have leveraged negotiations in a way to make sure they retained their #2 pick next year. I am not sure if that was poor decision making, savvy adjust,ent to bad news, or just plain old mean spiritedness.

It will be interesting to see what happens... especially if Aiken gets drafted later, makes an AL team, and comes back to haunt Houston every time he faces them. The thing about the MLB draft, though, is it is so much more unpredictable than the other sports. Sure, each sport has their busts, but baseball seems to have more first rounders who do nothing and flame out gloriously, and more afterthought types who make it to Cooperstown.

I have read that finances are pinching Houston pretty badly (the poorly orchestrated TV deal with Comcast being a big problem). Odd for that to be a problem given the market size, but they do struggle to put bums in seats when they don't play well. At least they brought back some retro uni designs to generate some cash.... (oh, wait... that's a sure sign of a team that doesn't have a quality on-field product).

Alas, I think Lunhow has a few good years left in him. He has a good baseball background and he also has a pretty astute core of advisors, led by two guys named Ryan and Biggio.

The Aiken thing just feels a bit shady, doesn't it? Once they realized they didn't like the outcome of the MRI, they seemed to have leveraged negotiations in a way to make sure they retained their #2 pick next year. I am not sure if that was poor decision making, savvy adjust,ent to bad news, or just plain old mean spiritedness.

It will be interesting to see what happens... especially if Aiken gets drafted later, makes an AL team, and comes back to haunt Houston every time he faces them. The thing about the MLB draft, though, is it is so much more unpredictable than the other sports. Sure, each sport has their busts, but baseball seems to have more first rounders who do nothing and flame out gloriously, and more afterthought types who make it to Cooperstown.

I have read that finances are pinching Houston pretty badly (the poorly orchestrated TV deal with Comcast being a big problem). Odd for that to be a problem given the market size, but they do struggle to put bums in seats when they don't play well. At least they brought back some retro uni designs to generate some cash.... (oh, wait... that's a sure sign of a team that doesn't have a quality on-field product).

Alas, I think Lunhow has a few good years left in him. He has a good baseball background and he also has a pretty astute core of advisors, led by two guys named Ryan and Biggio.

I agree he knows what he's doing, but it will be interesting to see if his lack of people skills overshadows his obvious knowledge related to talent procurement.

Thanks for filling me in on the rest of the Aiken story, I hadn't realized that was the case.

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

For me, the bottom line is that if they're truly worthy of the playoffs, they'll withstand the loss of one player. That's what championship teams do.

Nah. One guy, a guy like Cespedes, can make everyone play better. Oakland was playing better than they should have been because they believed in the team. A cynical move like trading Cespedes shook everything up, and now they're a team they can blow a one-run lead in the bottom of the eighth via back-to-back throwing errors, like they did tonight.

T-cursed.

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

Nah. One guy, a guy like Cespedes, can make everyone play better. Oakland was playing better than they should have been because they believed in the team. A cynical move like trading Cespedes shook everything up, and now they're a team they can blow a one-run lead in the bottom of the eighth via back-to-back throwing errors, like they did tonight.

T-cursed.

Maybe you're right. A's lose again, one to nothing. I'm starting to believe that this is more than just a run-of-the-mill slump. Some of this can be chalked up as regression to the mean, but come on!!!

• Like 1

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

T-cursed.

Maybe you're right. A's lose again, one to nothing. I'm starting to believe that this is more than just a run-of-the-mill slump. Some of this can be chalked up as regression to the mean, but come on!!!

A slump now is a nightmare for any team.

Brewer pitcher Mike Fiers accidentally nails Giancarlo Stanton in the face.......but Stanton was ruled to have swung at the pitch for strike TWO.

Stanton is taken off on a stretcher with face lacerations and dental fractures. :o

His replacement, Reed Johnson, is then hit on the hand, but he is also ruled to have swung at the pitch. Strike THREE. End of the Marlins' rally. No runs scored.

The Marlins go crazy mad. Both benches clear, but no punches are thrown. The Marlins' manager and 3rd baseman Casey McGehee (who was on deck) are ejected.

Brewers win 4-2. A crazy, crazy game....... the Marlins were definitely more angry at the umps than at the Brewers.

http://m.mlb.com/vid...e-benches-clear

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Brewer pitcher Mike Fiers accidentally nails Giancarlo Stanton in the face.......but Stanton was ruled to have swung at the pitch for strike TWO.

Stanton is taken off on a stretcher with face lacerations and dental fractures. :o

His replacement, Reed Johnson, is then hit on the hand, but he is also ruled to have swung at the pitch. Strike THREE. End of the Marlins' rally. No runs scored.

The Marlins go crazy mad. Both benches clear, but no punches are thrown. The Marlins' manager and 3rd baseman Casey McGehee (who was on deck) are ejected.

Brewers win 4-2. A crazy, crazy game....... the Marlins were definitely more angry at the umps than at the Brewers.

http://m.mlb.com/vid...e-benches-clear

Wow,

That was really bad. He did swing but what an aweful thing to see. I thought the pitcher should have left the game on his own after that. The second batter was hit on the hand and should haave been awarded first base. That whole situation was pretty fu****up.

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1