Hand Over Fist

Geddy's Soul Patch

I like plenty of old death metal and I like plenty of tracks off presto

hmm maybe superconductor was their attempt at thrash? I doubt it, but I read an interview from the hold your fire era and geddy said he loved metallica

I like plenty of old death metal and I like plenty of tracks off presto

hmm maybe superconductor was their attempt at thrash? I doubt it, but I read an interview from the hold your fire era and geddy said he loved metallica

lol, Rush and Thrash? Hmmmm...but I know the feeling is mutual with the Met guys.

That song is pure heavy metal noise! Geddy sounds like all three witches, the weird sisters from Macbeth! Cackling like a maniac! :haz: :haz: :haz:

Hand over fist

Paper around the stone

Scissors cut the paper

Cut the paper to the bone

Hand over fist

Paper around the stone

Double, double trouble and we'll toil and trouble

Stand alone Fire burn, and cauldron bubble

I could disappear into the crowd

Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd

But not if I keep my head in the clouds

I could walk away so proud

It's easy enough if you don't laugh too loud

I thought I was okay alone,

Wait for the postman killing swine and the telephone

Lost in a world of my own

I thought I could run alone

Thought I could run through the night alone

Hand over hand

Doesn't seem so much

Hand over hand

All hail, Macbeth, thou shalt be king hereafter!

You talk as we walk along

You never imagined I could be so wrong

Humming your favorite song

You know I've hated that song for so long

How can we ever agree?

When shall we three meet again

In thunder, lightning, or in rain?

When the hurly-burly's done,

When the battle's lost and won.

Thou shalt get kings, though thou be none!

Like the rest of the world

We grow farther apart

I swear you don't listen to me

Holding my hand to my heart

Holding my fist to my racing heart

Take a walk outside myself

In some exotic land

Greet a passing stranger

Feel the strength in his hand

Feel the world expand

Sleep shall neither night nor day

Hang upon his pent-house lid.

I feel my spirit resist

But I open up my fist

Lay hand over hand over

Hand over fist

• Like 1

I've always liked Hand Over Fist and many of the songs on Presto. I thought Neil wrote some of his most creative and ingenious lyrics then. Not necessarily his best work but certainly unique. Anagram for example is really skillfully written.

The music though is so thin and airy it's really Rush light. I've heard Geddy refer to this period as almost, or more like jazz.

Presto has a few hidden gems on it as mentioned in other post, Available Light, Hand Over Fist, Anagram, Red Tide ,and Chain Lightning (except for that God awful guitar solo) for instance...But it also has Superconductor..an all time dud.

• Like 1

I don't really understand why so many hate Superconductor; I think it's super catchy! And it rocks hard! Although it does does a little bit like a battery commercial...
  • Like 2

I'm one of the resident Presto lovers here.. Show Don't Tell made me a Rush fan and there isn't a weak song on it. The only downside is when I hear the DS version of SDT I :banghead: at how amazing this album could have been

When Hand Over Fist pops into my head it's usually this line

"..humming your favorite song

You know I've hated that song for so long"

• Like 1

Presto is one of the last albums I 'discovered', and it's become one of my favourites... I like the dry sound of Geddy's voice - even though the overall abum sound is rather thin and a bit lacking - and there are some great songs, like 'The Pass' and 'Available Light' and 'Show Don't Tell' and 'Scars'... I'm surprised 'Scars' a bit maligned here - I love the groove, and wish I could find a full version of what was on the Rush in Rio documentary, a music-only track of it!

That said, 'Hand Over Fist' isn't one of my favourites... I'm not sure why... it has some good parts, but as a whole, there are other Presto songs that outshine it, for me. Same thing with 'Anagram' - I really like what Neil did with the lyrics, and appreciate his efforts, but the song as a whole just doesn't excite me the way 'Chain Lightning' or 'Red Tide' does.

• Like 1

I always thought Hand Over Fist was an underrated song of theirs in general. Its buried deep in the back of one of their more obscure albums, and is overshadowed by the heavy hitters like SDT, The Pass, and title track. I definitely think it's one of the best on the album and a pretty unique song where the chorus is clean/low-key instead of the verse.
  • Like 1

I don't really care for the song. It sounds very 80s "soft pop- ish". Not that that's necessarily a bad thing but I don't think it's really a good thing for Rush.
  • Like 1

Echoing what a couple people said, Hand Over Fist is a song that could've been good, but just isn't. Probably would've worked better with some Counterparts-like treatment and heavyness.

Rush might as well release a "Redo" album. Tracks from previous years altered for the better.

I will say that I drove through Utah's national forests in my '87 truck listening to Presto in its entirety. That was a nice experience.

Edited by That One Guy

and echoing others its a really good song
  • Like 1

What a beautiful song off a beautiful album. Geddy's Taurus pedals at the "I feel my spirit resist" mini-bridge are earth shaking, especially through good speakers and a sub. Yes, much of the production is somewhat thin, but the album stands as a subtle concept album.

In an album all about finding oneself and one's place in the world in all different aspecs, "HOF" resonates with Neil's then-recent experiences cycling through Africa and meeting tons of different people ('Scars', about the solitude of traveling through Africa, is the other half of that experience).

And 'Superconductor' is as cheesy and grandiose - complete with huge chorus, sudden modulation, etc., as the over-exposed pop culture of the late-80's.

• Like 2

What a beautiful song off a beautiful album.

In an album all about finding oneself and one's place in the world in all different aspecs, "HOF" resonates with Neil's then-recent experiences cycling through Africa and meeting tons of different people

Feel the strength in his hand...feel the world expand.

Presto, like Vapor Trails, is an album where Neil's writing is at its most human and personal. Probably why I love both albums so much.

• Like 4

One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite Rush records.

I love the overall bracing feel of it - the angry lyrics, the razor sharp guitar, Geds vocal delivery is spot on.

It's weird to me that of all albums, Presto takes a lot of flack for being too "thin" or corny or whatever. Even the band themselves don't care for it.

Presto actually restored my faith in the band after HYF, an album I have grown to appreciate, but was a listless, meandering dissapointment back in the day.

When I heard Show Don't Tell on the radio, I was blown away. It was like " holy shit, Rush are writing rock songs again". I certainly wasn't thinking about the "thin" production. As far as I was concerned, Presto was a balls out rocker compared to its predecessor - with cohesive lyrics and melodies that totally resonated with me as an 18 year old kid.

As a big fan of Geddys singing, I also consider Presto to be a vocal tour de force.

Edited by eshine
  • Like 2

Incidentally, Hand Over Fist was originally slated to be an instrumental. Just as with Peaceable Kingdom, Neil presented Geddy with lyrics that he felt were a perfect fit to the music.

Darn you, I clicked on this thread for the sole purpose of pointing that out! :cool:

I hope they wouldve juiced it up a little because it sounded like it would've been a pretty boring instrumental otherwise. If I had to guess, Show Don't Tell wouldve sounded like the one would-be instrumental later put to words. Especially the intro/main riff.

One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite Rush records.

I love the overall bracing feel of it - the angry lyrics, the razor sharp guitar, Geds vocal delivery is spot on.

It's weird to me that of all albums, Presto takes a lot of flack for being too "thin" or corny or whatever. Even the band themselves don't care for it.

Presto actually restored my faith in the band after HYF, an album I have grown to appreciate, but was a listless, meandering dissapointment back in the day.

When I heard Show Don't Tell on the radio, I was blown away. It was like " holy shit, Rush are writing rock songs again". I certainly wasn't thinking about the "thin" production. As far as I was concerned, Presto was a balls out rocker compared to its predecessor - with cohesive lyrics and melodies that totally resonated with me as an 18 year old kid.

As a big fan of Geddys singing, I also consider Presto to be a vocal tour de force.

I've always considered Presto as one of Geddy's best vocal albums overall. Not as screechy as the '70s/early '80s and not as toned down and (as on the last couple albums) strained sounding. Say what you will about his production but Rupert Hine was able to make Geddy's singing shine on Presto.

Edited by jnoble
  • Like 2