Steve Howe on Yours Is No Disgrace from Yessongs

Alex Lifeson on By-Tor & The Snow Dog from All The World's A Stage

Brian May on Dead On a Time from Jazz

Robert Fripp on a number of songs

Ry Cooder

Dave Gilmour

Notice how nobody can pick just one?

• Like 1

Can't believe I haven't posted any Jani yet. He's very blues influenced... Since leaving Sonata Arctica he just does acoustic playing, but he really can shred and he knows how to make it sound good. This solo's great (duet, keyboard solo, then his solo at 0:32)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhVVh4BdMVg

And there's no performance of him playing this one, he left before he could live, but this is definitely a favorite of mine by him too. The solo's the very first one, "In Black and White", through 0:23.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

But my all-time favorite guitar soloist is Marc Ford, when he was with the Black Crowes. And this is his best: "Sometimes Salvation":

Hear, hear! Marc Ford is tremendous. Or at least I hope he still is, whatever he's up to these days. I hope he is taking care of himself.

What has always struck me about that solo in Sometimes Salvation, the studio version- it's all about the compression! I don't know exactly how he achieved that sound, but wowsa...incredible.

That being said, I think I might actually like Cursed Diamond a little better, though- credit to Marc Ford and Rich Robinson equally for that.

I've heard far too many solos and I'm entirely too indecisive to come up with a favorite solo of all time, out of all of the guitarists I've ever heard...I don't even think I could narrow down a top twenty.

I saw Marc on the High as the Moon tour. Loved the Crowes back then, front row as well...killer show! :)

• Like 1

I saw Marc on the High as the Moon tour. Loved the Crowes back then, front row as well...killer show! :)

Where was the show that you saw, Steevo? I have several recordings from that tour. Unfortunately, quite a few of them aren't that great. But anyway, the High as the Moon tour was also the first time I saw them, here in Dayton, August of '92. That was the first of forty-nine times that I saw them over the years. (Aside from Rush, they are my number one band).

Where was the show that you saw, Steevo? I have several recordings from that tour. Unfortunately, quite a few of them aren't that great. But anyway, the High as the Moon tour was also the first time I saw them, here in Dayton, August of '92. That was the first of forty-nine times that I saw them over the years. (Aside from Rush, they are my number one band).

I got to see them in Auckland, New Zealand...'92 as well. I think they were going to put them in a hall but they switched it to a larger venue outside (from what I remember)...I was going to show you some prime Marc and I just saw the video in this thread, lol...anyways, here's a diff version which I'm sure you've seen by now:

http://youtu.be/MPzJWd-PJ48

I got to see them in Auckland, New Zealand...'92 as well. I think they were going to put them in a hall but they switched it to a larger venue outside (from what I remember)...I was going to show you some prime Marc and I just saw the video in this thread, lol...anyways, here's a diff version which I'm sure you've seen by now:

http://youtu.be/MPzJWd-PJ48

That is from the Ahoy in Rotterdam, 1 December 1992. I have the whole broadcast on DVD. :)

I don't think I have any from the Australian tour in '92, but I do have a few from when they returned there, in 2008 (and that was with Luther Dickinson, rather than Marc Ford). I don't think they played New Zealand then, though.

• Like 1

Nice topic but solos are like Lay's potato chips; can't pick just one.

Alex has his own category. My favorite though has got to be Camera Eye followed closely by all solos in Hemispheres. Still too many are so good especially between AFTK and PoW.

By others I gotta add Hotel California and other Don Felder Eagle solos. One of These Nights is also especially good. I'm a huge Ace Frehley fan too and love the solo on 100,000 Years, Love Her All I Can and of course Detroit Rock City. Cowboy Song by Thin Lizzy has two great solos in it as does Romeo and the Lonely Girl also on Jailbreak. For Gilmour I love the harmony bits in Dogs with Snowy White.

My head will explode just thinking about this topic...

Two solos that have always grabbed me and are still great to this day:

EVH's solo in Beat It

Prince's ending solo in Let's Go Crazy