2112 - Does it tell a good story or is it just 20 minutes of rockin' riffs

USB Connector

2112 is one of my favourite songs. One of my friends asked me to justify why I value it more highly than any one individual track from Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves.

The first thought that jumped into my mind was the story. I LOVE going through the whole thing and hearing it told, but when you get down to it the story itself is very short and simple. Even if you cut Clockwork Angels in half it still tells a more detailed story -- mind you, the liner notes are essential for everything to fit together while 2112 doesn't NEED the liner notes but that's a discussion for another time. My point is that the story is quite simple and rather ordinary.

On the other hand if I just look at the instrumentation is just amazing. The riffs are catchy and fun to listen, the pacing of the song is varied and fluent in transition. The instruments well reflect the characters and their thoughts, or the action being displayed -- like the guitar solo at the end of Presentation which to me always drew an image of a guitar being destroyed or a fight going on even before I read the liner notes. Maybe it wasn't intended but I like to picture two massive armadas of ships fighting during the Grand Finale with the elder flagship emerging victorious to declare that they've assumed control.

So this whole train of thought leads me to think that even if 2112 doesn't have a stellar story, it's HOW it's told that makes it so great. Everything comes together so well to tell it.

Thoughts?

I think that it's a nice story, even though it's short. I just love listening to the lyrics and imagining the story in my head like a movie.

And yes... the riffs are AMAZING!!!!

• Like 1

The best part is the story in my opinion. The part about not getting freedom for free is the best.... :)

O my...a world where music is banned...a young man, the saviour figure, rediscovers lost art and seeks to make its beauty known...

Now before I get all Segue Myles-ey on yo' b'hind let me just say: this story rules and the ending left me crying once. Its beautiful! Fables are simple stories, the message that runs through is often deep. Clockwork Angels...sorry I can't follow that story, its nothing special. The beauty of 2112 is you can see the story in your mind, and it has a point.

I absolutely love it! Everything about it. I hate to sound negative but its the best Rush epic, and in my haughty, stuck up and biased opinion, it is the best Rush song, period. 10/10 disrespect it at all I will hunt you down and kiss yo' ass!

Hang on...I meant...

• Like 1

How can you answer "BOTH" when there is a secret third option?

I never gave a rip about the story.

I'm a bass player. Geddy's tone and play are just so good underneath those monster riffs. What a unique, visionary, and ambitious accomplishment for them all.

A memory I cherish is playing it live at a field party with about 500 people attending. Someone actually got stabbed at this concert. We had a huge tractor Trailer bed as our stage, with a great light show. People went nuts. Pulling it off was always satisfying challenge.

Without 2112 we probably wouldn't have had any other Rush albums. I love the theme, the story and the music. It just fits flawlessly together. I just wish they could write stuff as interesting as this now. The lyrics are so visual, Geddy's voice so full of emotion and Alex's guitar so grungy and yet so filled with wonder at times. It's pretty much perfect.
  • Like 4

Are you high?

As usual, your opinions are clearly stated and points are well justified. Such an insightful addition to the discussion.

• Like 1

I find a lot of their modern material more interesting.

Musically, there are parts of the song that are simply phenomenal—especially, of course, the opening few minutes. Other parts pretty much lose me, but that's okay—not every epic can be Close to the Edge.

Lyrically, well, their intentions were nice. Can't help but chuckle or shake my head during some sections. Fine for where they were at the time, but thank goodness they grew up.

• Like 2

I find a lot of their modern material more interesting.

Musically, there are parts of the song that are simply phenomenal—especially, of course, the opening few minutes. Other parts pretty much lose me, but that's okay—not every epic can be Close to the Edge.

Lyrically, well, their intentions were nice. Can't help but chuckle or shake my head during some sections. Fine for where they were at the time, but thank goodness they grew up.

By later albums, you mean AFTK and Hemispheres, right?

Lol I will admit that I prefer the lyrics of albums such as p/g or Signals to this one...but the title track, with a bit of extra padding, would make a great sci-fi!

I agree with this assessment of the song. The first 6:45 is among the best the band has ever done, while the rest of the song is pretty uneven. "Discovery" is pretty cringeworthy, IMO, and there's a reason they didn't bother playing "The Oracle" live until 1997—it is another stop and start momentum killer, something the song suffers from as a long piece. Don't get me wrong, I love "2112" and I appreciate its importance in making the band what they are today, but I don't think all parts of it have aged equally as well.

• Like 2

Yes, 2112 tells a good story. In the mid-70's, that kind of story was very appropriate. Rock & Roll was branching out in many directions, so the freedom to be creative was extremely important. People were mentioning how 1984 was only a few years away, so they knew of the danger of our creating that dystopian world for real.

The story, combined with the futuristic sounds and intense guitar-driven music, made 2112 a fantastic experience. I'll never forget listening to it over and over again and imagining myself in that world....

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

but the title track, with a bit of extra padding, would make a great sci-fi!

The title track with a bit of extra padding is a book called Anthem.

Who wrote it?

Here's my thing......i've never been keen on the concept album or song in this case. I buy albums for music . If i buy a concept record.....i'm not following the story at all, lol. Having said that as a track 2112 is amazing. What a rush......pun intended. Not one second is wasted.

Mick

• Like 1