Grace Under Pressure - Then and Now

clem

I say the album was great, although I only know one song from the album (red sector a), and this was way before I was born (the first album realesed after I was born was vapor trails (I was born in 1999)). Edited by chasekratzer
  • Like 1

The only thing wrong with TBE is Neil's drumming in the intro/ Verses. That snare, tom pattern really weakens the song. If Neil would had played anything else, I think it would have come across much better :finbar:.

Funny, that's one of the things I think is good about the song. As soon as the drums start you know what song it is. Instant recognition :D

Same here. Besides, that intro pattern fits the lyrical mood of the song. Think about it 2k.

I know its instantly recognizable but lets face it so are all the other RUSH songs. I just think the song would have been better served with Neil working the hit hat and Snare instead of the snare / tom. Yes, I understand the intros can't all be the Anarchist, Animate or One Little Victory for that matter but I just felt its one of RUSH's worst intros. The song doesn't pick up until the break/ Alex's lead. But then again its just personal taste. What do I know and it did sound better live than the original recording. I think he altered the Snare part just slightly live.

I was obviously around when it was released. I love the album. A very strange thing as I was considering this however.... Truth be told at the time I never really considered the style change, the synth era at all. I just loved Rush music. My problem is, life really started happening after Power Windows. I look at it this way........

74' - 80' Rush- My best friend in the world. A person I would do anything for. Someone I love for lack of a better term.

81' - 85' Rush- A really good friend. I know you well, but on a more casual basis.

86' - 10' Rush- The friend I may have had had things and times been different. We pass by each other and wave and say hello but we never really get to know each other. We might have ended up being friends but I never really gave it the opportunity. I do enjoy Clockwork Angels and it would fall in line with category two. No music or band will ever replace my first love....... :)

This mirrors my experience exactly; I could have wrote this except I wouldn't have wrote it so well.

I grew up with '70s Rush and it would be a huge understatement to say that were my favorite band. They WERE like best friends. When Signals came out I was pretty disappointed; it was like being slightly let down by a friend but I wasn't worried about the relationship. Then GUP came out. I liked it better than Signals but my friend had become more remote -- this was not the Rush that I loved so dearly. On its own merits I thought GUP was excellent (and still do; if Signals is Rush doing Police, than GUP is Rush doing The Fixx, but with more menace), but it wasn't "my" Rush. When PoWi came out I realized that Rush had moved on to a different crowd and we were no longer a couple. We've reconciled over the last couple years and I've come to like their newer stuff (esp S&A) but it will never be like it was ATWAS through ESL, and GUP was the beginning of the split (Signals was a disappointment, but it was still my Rush). Nevertheless I've always thought it is an excellent album. It kind of stands on its own in that there's no other Rush album quite like it.

• Like 1

I was obviously around when it was released. I love the album. A very strange thing as I was considering this however.... Truth be told at the time I never really considered the style change, the synth era at all. I just loved Rush music. My problem is, life really started happening after Power Windows. I look at it this way........

74' - 80' Rush- My best friend in the world. A person I would do anything for. Someone I love for lack of a better term.

81' - 85' Rush- A really good friend. I know you well, but on a more casual basis.

86' - 10' Rush- The friend I may have had had things and times been different. We pass by each other and wave and say hello but we never really get to know each other. We might have ended up being friends but I never really gave it the opportunity. I do enjoy Clockwork Angels and it would fall in line with category two. No music or band will ever replace my first love....... :)

This mirrors my experience exactly; I could have wrote this except I wouldn't have wrote it so well.

I grew up with '70s Rush and it would be a huge understatement to say that were my favorite band. They WERE like best friends. When Signals came out I was pretty disappointed; it was like being slightly let down by a friend but I wasn't worried about the relationship. Then GUP came out. I liked it better than Signals but my friend had become more remote -- this was not the Rush that I loved so dearly. On its own merits I thought GUP was excellent (and still do; if Signals is Rush doing Police, than GUP is Rush doing The Fixx, but with more menace), but it wasn't "my" Rush. When PoWi came out I realized that Rush had moved on to a different crowd and we were no longer a couple. We've reconciled over the last couple years and I've come to like their newer stuff (esp S&A) but it will never be like it was ATWAS through ESL, and GUP was the beginning of the split (Signals was a disappointment, but it was still my Rush). Nevertheless I've always thought it is an excellent album. It kind of stands on its own in that there's no other Rush album quite like it.

We Marylander's must stick together..... :codger:

We Marylander's must stick together..... :codger:

You've still got time to develop. Your still young yet

I love GuP, it's one of my favorites, actually. I could see the distaste for it when it came out because it was way different than their heavier stuff.

Yay! You said "GUP"! Woop woop!

I love the album now. But I am only 17, so there wasn't really a "Then" for me.

Also, it's not GUP or P/G. It's Grace Under Pressure. I hate all of the acronyms people come up with for the albums and songs. I don't see how it's hard to type three extra words.

I loved it back then as now...and I honestly thought that most Rush fans loved It!?

Grace Under Pressure is pure gold...

If most fans loved it, it would have sold better.

• Like 1

I loved it back then as now...and I honestly thought that most Rush fans loved It!?

Did it sell any less than Signals??

Though they are both listed as platinum sellers, I understand that it has sold less. And, obviously, it sold a ton less than MP did.

I love the album now. But I am only 17, so there wasn't really a "Then" for me.

Also, it's not GUP or P/G. It's Grace Under Pressure. I hate all of the acronyms people come up with for the albums and songs. I don't see how it's hard to type three extra words.

Actually it is P/G. If you look at the official album artwork this is readily seen.

IMHO. FWIW.

• Like 1

Though they are both listed as platinum sellers, I understand that it has sold less. And, obviously, it sold a ton less than MP did.

Well...you can't really compare it to MP, can you :no:

Anyway, to me GUP is one of the best albums they ever made... :yes:

in retrospect it seems most folks do enjoy it. more folks than enjoy your precious roll the bones

This cat says P/G outsold Signals by 60,000.

Signals 1982 1,100,000 Studio Grace Under Pressure 1984 1,160,000 Studio

http://bensommer.com/blog/rush-album-sales/

Just shows you how popular new wave was. :dweez:

I heard Between the Wheels before the album was released, on the local rock radio station. I didn't like that song much, because of the discordant opening, but I loved most of the album (The Enemy Within, Distant Early Warning, and Red Sector A) and grew to love most of the rest of it over time (Afterimage first, then the Body Electric, Kid Gloves, and even Between the Wheels). It wasn't up to their peak in the 2112-MP era but an outstanding album nonetheless.

Several years into my Rushiness, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are just about my favorite Rush albums. Certainly didn't start that way. But the 80's stuff definitely holds up to repeated listening better than, say, the 90's era stuff. Or even the 70's stuff (crazy I know).
  • Like 1

Several years into my Rushiness, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are just about my favorite Rush albums. Certainly didn't start that way. But the 80's stuff definitely holds up to repeated listening better than, say, the 90's era stuff. Or even the 70's stuff (crazy I know).

70's stuff ? Ouch :o

uuuuum...I think all the albums from AFTK through to PoW are in the same league...GUP[PY] is climbing its way through my top five as I type...honestly its a masterpiece and its due to this thread that I rediscovered my love for this!

I think I prefer it now to MP...not sure...possibly...very likely...

uuuuum...I think all the albums from AFTK through to PoW are in the same league...GUP[PY] is climbing its way through my top five as I type...honestly its a masterpiece and its due to this thread that I rediscovered my love for this!

I think I prefer it now to MP...not sure...possibly...very likely...

He is right about the 90's stuff however..... :finbar:

70's stuff ? Ouch :o

I'm not the biggest 70's rush fan either. It's good but to me they were just born in the 80's. I believe Neil held the same opinion, lol

Mick