What's your fav version of what song?

chasekratzer

I like "tom sawyer" from ESL, but if you ask me what the best version is, it would be the studio version.

I also like the studio version of "overture" and "the temples of syrinx" from 2112, but if you ask me, i like the whole song 2112, plus "a passage to bangkok" and "the twilight zone".

Theres so much good rush stuff, i could go on and on. Theres a little bit to give you an example.

Limelight-R30

Subdivisions-Clockwork Angels Tour

Tom Sawyer-Rio

2112-All The World's A Stage

Closer To The Heart-Rio

La Villa Strangiato-Exit Stage Left

Big Money-Rio

Just my list of songs that have so many incarnations nowadays.

Another song that I like is the studio version of animate. I origanally thought it was from roll the bones, but its actualy from counterparts.

A classic rush track that i LOVE is limelight from moving pictures.

Like i said before, theres so much good rush stuff, i could on and on. The big money, tom sawyer, YYZ, closer to the heart, presto, bravado, xanadu, and on and on.

Another thing that isnt so related to this specific thread, but I like Alex Lifesons speech from rush's rock and roll hall of fame induction earlier this year.

So many songs I learned to like after I heard the live versions, Digital Man & Mission from S &A Live, then Stick it out and Marathon from Time Machine...Marathon gives me the chills, the fade on the synth part just sounds so vibrant, i can close my eyes and feel as though I am there :yes: :guitar:

The ESL version of A Passage to Bangkok...the studio version just seems to lack energy by comparison.

I like mostly everything from 2112 (temples of syrinx, presentation, overture, a passage to bankok, the twilight zone), and I also like the classics from moving pictures (tom sawyer, YYZ, limelight, red barchetta)

So many songs I learned to like after I heard the live versions...

Totally this. Most recently for me it's been Clockwork Angels Tour versions of Power Windows songs. As much as I tried to, I never really got into Power Windows beyond 'The Big Money' and 'Marathon,' but after hearing the versions of 'Grand Designs,' 'Territories,' 'The Manhattan Project' on CAT I have developed a lot of love for the album.

As far as the OP question, at this moment it is the live version of 'The Garden.' Despite having loved the band for over 30 years now I didn't ever see them writing a song like 'The Garden,' which still brings me to tears half the time I listen to it (in a good way!). It is so beautiful, and the fact they've written possibly my favourite song this late in their career is probably part of why I love them so.

• Like 1

I like the studio versions better then the live versions, especially the more recent ones. I dont like the more recent live versions, mainly because geddy lee cant reach some of the notes like he used to. Its been like this pretty much beginning during vapor trails. However, in defense of this argument, this is a video of geddy lee reaching the high notes during "closer to the heart" filmed at the toranto rocks concert, 2003, vapor trails.

Now back to the other side of the arguement. If you look at geddy lee nowadays (time machine, clockwork angels, snakes and arrows), its all he can do to get the higher notes. Whereas if you look at the live version from a show of hands, he can get most of the high notes perfectly.

• Like 1

So back to my previous post. The only 2 singers that i think havent changed (meaning their hair hasent gone primarly gray, and their voice didnt becaume like geddy lee) is mick jagger and barry manilow. Paul Mccartneys voice went down a little bit, but hes been pretty good too.

I like the studio versions better then the live versions, especially the more recent ones. I dont like the more recent live versions, mainly because geddy lee cant reach some of the notes like he used to. Its been like this pretty much beginning during vapor trails. However, in defense of this argument, this is a video of geddy lee reaching the high notes during "closer to the heart" filmed at the toranto rocks concert, 2003, vapor trails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYvpJ2Ij60o

Now back to the other side of the arguement. If you look at geddy lee nowadays (time machine, clockwork angels, snakes and arrows), its all he can do to get the higher notes. Whereas if you look at the live version from a show of hands, he can get most of the high notes perfectly.

Ten years makes a difference. This is early in the Time Machine Tour. His voice still sounds better than the CD

"Entre Nous/Mission" - S&A

Absolutely. These 2 are gems from the S&A tour. The live recording from the show I went to is priceless to me.

Edited by A rocket that ignites itself

Lakeside Park, By-Tor, and In the End from ATWAS are on another level compared to the studio versions. ATWAS was the first Rush I heard, and they sounded so amazing I would have never guessed they were "this close" to being released by the studio before the previous album. ATWAS made them sound like they were the biggest, heaviest, most interesting band on the planet (which, I guess they were, or became, for some of us).

I love all the ESL versions of the post-ATWAS songs, but the studio work of that period was so perfect that I can't name a winner (I love the ESL versions of Trees, Xanadu, and La Villa, but I could never say they're better than those of the studio albums which I adored like no other songs before or since). I do though love the Different Stages version of Natural Science more than the studio version. When I listen to the studio version now, I want another "Wheels within wheels verse."

• Like 1

Lakeside Park, By-Tor, and In the End from ATWAS are on another level compared to the studio versions. ATWAS was the first Rush I heard, and they sounded so amazing I would have never guessed they were "this close" to being released by the studio before the previous album. ATWAS made them sound like they were the biggest, heaviest, most interesting band on the planet (which, I guess they were, or became, for some of us).

I love all the ESL versions of the post-ATWAS songs, but the studio work of that period was so perfect that I can't name a winner (I love the ESL versions of Trees, Xanadu, and La Villa, but I could never say they're better than those of the studio albums which I adored like no other songs before or since). I do though love the Different Stages version of Natural Science more than the studio version. When I listen to the studio version now, I want another "Wheels within wheels verse."

Your story sounds so much like mine. When I backtracked and bought the first 4 studio albums I was almost half disappointed. The live versions of all those songs on ATWAS just kicked major arse. It has never been duplicated in my humble opinion....... :)