Was not playing "Losing It" on this tour a misfire?

Alchemical

Yes and no. It's kind of a bummer of a song but I still enjoy it and I think it would have been terribly beautiful and moving had they done it with strings. They did Red Sector A every single night with the strings. To me that song is much more of a downer than Losing It.
  • Like 2

I would have enjoyed it. But the crowd I was around, at least in KC, was already pretty sedate when they weren't playing "the hits".
  • Like 2

No way. Though I love the song, its a buzzkill

Yeah but if you don't like it you can always make it your beer/bathroom break song just like I do when "Far Cry" starts.

I would have enjoyed it. But the crowd I was around, at least in KC, was already pretty sedate when they weren't playing "the hits".

That sucks, where were you sitting? I was standing up the whole time in KC.

Yes, the song is a bit of a downer and the boys want to keep the show lively and not depressing, but I think with the string ensemble it could have been friggin' amazing.

You have to trade something out for it. What do you trade?

If they didn't have The Garden on that album, they might have played it. Playing both would be too much on the slow side.

• Like 1

I'd say it could've gone both ways for me. I would've loved to see it considering they brought the string section, but I also loved the setlist on the tour as it was. Maybe they tried it out in rehearsals but weren't feeling it. That's the same reason why we didn't get Jacob's Ladder on the Time Machine Tour. Edited by PolarizeMe

Naahhh.....too slow. One slow song (The Garden) is enough.

There are about a bazillion other deep cuts I'd rather hear:

Cut to the Chase

The Big Wheel

Chain Lightening

The Color of Right

It's not that I don't like the song, it's just that I don't think it would translate to a live show very well - regardless of whether or not it has strings.

Clem

Way up high (toward the very top of the upper bowl) more on Geddy's side. (Not sure where my ticket is so I'm not sure of the section but from the diagrams I've looked at I'd guess it was in section 122) I saw the show in Mpls and the crowd (around me at least) was much more into it. Overall I thought the KC crowd was pretty good but those around me were not that into it and there was a significant amount of complaining about the set list especially in the first set.

Where were you?

The first set was the deep cuts and contained mostly songs from the 80's. For me, I would have traded out Force Ten with Open Secrets, Manhattan Project, from the second set with Emotion Detector, Red Sector A with Afterimage, as an homage to Jacki and Selena, and trade out Bravado or the Body Electric with Losing It as it would have been a nice homage to Andrew MacNaughtan but maybe those songs are painful reminders to the band, especially Neil.

Way up high (toward the very top of the upper bowl) more on Geddy's side. (Not sure where my ticket is so I'm not sure of the section but from the diagrams I've looked at I'd guess it was in section 122) I saw the show in Mpls and the crowd (around me at least) was much more into it. Overall I thought the KC crowd was pretty good but those around me were not that into it and there was a significant amount of complaining about the set list especially in the first set.

Where were you?

I was in the second elevated section on Geddy's side, first row. Maybe everybody in my section was standing up because my girlfriend and I wouldn't stop singing and dancing to every song. We were two of the girls with the halos on.

• Like 2

All this talk about the band playing Losing It on stage is based on the assumption that the band had any interest in playing it.

They've always said that there are songs on their albums that were never meant to be played live. Losing It is probably one of those songs.

• Like 1

Only if they were between playing Losing it, and either The Body Electric or Bravado. I think it was a missed opportunity, but I think there were other more deserving string section songs that did not make the cut. I think Xanadu and Jacobs Ladder with strings would have been amazing.

Missed opportunity.

For whom?

For both the band and fans of the song. Rush seems to care about dusting off old gems from tour to tour—part of what I love about them. They seem to acknowledge that their most loyal fans get especially excited for first-time or rarely-played tunes.

All this talk about the band playing Losing It on stage is based on the assumption that the band had any interest in playing it.

They've always said that there are songs on their albums that were never meant to be played live. Losing It is probably one of those songs.

I think you might've missed an interview or two. I clearly remember reading AND listening to interviews in the early 90s in which Geddy stated that anything recorded is with the thought that it CAN be duplicated onstage (if they so desire). He went on to say that they are built around their performances

I think you might've missed an interview or two. I clearly remember reading AND listening to interviews in the early 90s in which Geddy stated that anything recorded is with the thought that it CAN be duplicated onstage (if they so desire). He went on to say that they are built around their performances

They CAN play any song on stage - so what? Being able to play every song live is not the same as wanting to play every song live. There has been no indication that they've had any desire to play Losing It live.

I say again - all this talk about Losing It is just a pipedream for certain fans who want to see it in concert. It is not a "missed opportunity" for the band, as the band has never shown any desire to play it.

They CAN play any song on stage - so what? Being able to play every song live is not the same as wanting to play every song live. There has been no indication that they've had any desire to play Losing It live.

I say again - all this talk about Losing It is just a pipedream for certain fans who want to see it in concert. It is not a "missed opportunity" for the band, as the band has never shown any desire to play it.

I was referring to the bit where you stated "They've always said that there are songs on their albums that were never meant to be played live." The way that sounds SOUNDS like they never INTENDED for some songs to EVER be played live. The articles and interviews that I'm talking about refer to the point that every song may or may not be played...but there's NEVER a song made where they DON'T WANT to play it live. At least that's what Geddy said 20 years ago or so anyway.