Vapour Trails Remixed As A Whole - Your Verdict?

GeddysMullet

But most of all, what struck me about this remix (and it makes perfect sense) is how passionate the playing is. I never "felt" Ghost Rider before. I sympathized with it, but I always felt bad for Neil that he bared his soul and somehow the results were muffed. This album is passionate...

Good call; I hadn’t mentioned that yet, but I agree. There’s some real emotion on this record... as there should be, given what the theme is. I hadn’t heard that emotion until this remix.

(Actually, as big a Rush fan as I’ve been for thirty years, I must admit I always saw them as more of a cerebral band, not an emotional one. They just never hit me as a “feel” band… until I heard “The Garden” when CA was released in 2012. Now I see that they also packed emotion into VT, back in 2002! We just couldn’t hear it.)

I picked up on this, too. It's quite startling, because the original version of VT always struck me as being rather cold, but in listening to the remix I've had several moments of being nearly overcome by the emotion. In these songs, I feel that I can hear the pain of tragedy and separation mixing with the joy of life and music continuing, and it puts me in awe of the dynamic among the three of them.

I love :rush:

:goodone: I have always felt this was their most emotional and personal album. :cheers:

• Like 2

It's fantastic. They've done exactly what they needed to do, which was get some clarity and separation. I'm amazed at all the things I can hear now that I didn't before.

There's so many interesting little guitar parts and countermelodies that were just completely buried before that are now very apparent and add to the whole experience.

• Like 3

My initial impression is that the first half of the album is improved. Unfortunately the cee-oh-jones have been ripped out of Secret Touch and Nocturne. I'm going to give a good listen to the vinyl versions of both before I make any harsh judgements, but Secret Touch is ruined on the remix. I remember the Rush fandom going nuts with praise with Vapor Trails first came out and then a slow slide to the criticism that we have all discussed endlessly, and so I will proceed cautiously, but dammit, Secret Touch pales in comparison to the original.

As someone whose online message-boarding began as an avid defender of Vapor Trails back in the day (lol - an effort in utter futility, but hey, I was a foolhearted, youngish fanboi) I have to admit this remix is rather stunning.

As previously mentioned – Vapor Trails now sounds like a proper Rush album. The separation and clarity of all the tracks are proof positive that the original was not only flawed, but really just destroyed. I cannot imagine how hard it must have been for the band to realize just how bad it was, but as Geddy stated recently – it was full steam ahead at that point. In retrospect I don’t blame them for not addressing it.

I also really like the comment that this isn’t as “self assured” as their other work. I agree and think that’s one of the many charms of this album. Vapor Trails remains a richly layered work of almost reckless abandon by a band with nothing left to lose and everything to gain. Talk about putting it all out there.

For me, it’s classic and important. I’m grateful that the band cared enough to go ahead with this project – and especially grateful that David Botrill was at the helm. He’s one of the best in the business, and obviously took on this task with a great deal of care and appreciation.

My verdict – BRAVO!

• Like 3

Just a bit hitty missy for me, very high points in OLV especially + sweet miracle and stars look down, but interspersed with half a dozen other changes that maybe arent working for me right now. At first i thought why give geds vocals so much echo but now thinkin what the heck its different anyway. Had to replace peaceable kingdom with original in playlist coz of background distortion noises i mentioned in another thread its just too bad. Overall though im intetested in the remix is refreshing and got me acquainted with a very good old friend again.

The Stars Look Down (always loved this song big time), Freeze, CU, How It Is and Sweet Miracle are the real revelations on the re-mix.

Ghost Rider sounds better in many ways.

OLV.....I prefer the Retro III remix far more.

Earthshine...I can listen to all three mixes

Nocturne - can easily enjoy either mix.

Vaportrail - can easily enjoy either mix

Secret Touch - despite the clipping has far more fire and passion on the original mix.

Peacable Kingdom - This song is hit or miss for me regardless of the mix. I think the new mix shows glaring holes and revels it's demo like lack of quality in comparison to the other tracks.

But overall.....this is so much better and finally we can hear the separation and clarity we always wanted.

• Like 1

The Stars Look Down (always loved this song big time), Freeze, CU, How It Is and Sweet Miracle are the real revelations on the re-mix.

Ghost Rider sounds better in many ways.

OLV.....I prefer the Retro III remix far more.

Earthshine...I can listen to all three mixes

Nocturne - can easily enjoy either mix.

Vaportrail - can easily enjoy either mix

Secret Touch - despite the clipping has far more fire and passion on the original mix.

Peacable Kingdom - This song is hit or miss for me regardless of the mix. I think the new mix shows glaring holes and revels it's demo like lack of quality in comparison to the other tracks.

But overall.....this is so much better and finally we can hear the separation and clarity we always wanted.

:goodone:

One thing I noticed listening on the hi-fi is that in addition to the separation, there is depth. It's almost like simulated 3D at times, which adds to the experience. And I listened just to listen, and not to listen for what's missing or what's different.. just to listen. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and thought the couple grips I had with material changes from the original seemed to unimportant. I was just basking in this remixed reborn masterpiece. :)
  • Like 2

As someone whose online message-boarding began as an avid defender of Vapor Trails back in the day (lol - an effort in utter futility, but hey, I was a foolhearted, youngish fanboi) I have to admit this remix is rather stunning.

I was just as naive, back in the day. I loved VT from the first listen, and I foolishly thought, "Wow, here's a record that will unite Rush fans! EVERYONE is going to love it!" Then I hit the message boards and saw all the thumbs-down votes, mostly because of the production.

I'm no audiophile, but I eventually came to understand that the gripes were justified. This wasn't a matter of the album sounding INTENTIONALLY "raw" or "grungy," this was a butchering job in the mixing and mastering. Still, I loved the songs and was a fierce defender of the album.

I also really like the comment that this isn’t as “self assured” as their other work. I agree and think that’s one of the many charms of this album. Vapor Trails remains a richly layered work of almost reckless abandon by a band with nothing left to lose and everything to gain. Talk about putting it all out there. For me, it’s classic and important.

I can only agree and amplify this. From the start, I viewed VT as a unique and daring artistic statement. The guys really took a lot of chances on this album - all the guitar layering, the vocal layering, the absence of keyboards, the dearth of guitar solos - and the result is an album which sounds very different from anything else they've done, before or since. It manages to be as hard-rocking as their other albums, but is also very "artsy." It's really got a character all its own. And we hear now that it's also an "emotional" album.

Vapor Trails is to Rush what The Unforgettable Fire is to U2. They could've played it safe and released something which sounded like its successful predecessors, but they were bold and gave us atmospheric ART instead. Love it or hate it or just "like" it, you have to give props to Rush for being artists, and not salesmen.

Edited by GeddyRulz
  • Like 2

I am very happy with the vocal remix. I think that Geddy's voice and Bass were the biggest benefactors of this remix. The vocal decisions on this really take some questionable layering out and bring forward some lower octave beauty.

Neils drums are finally heard, breath and can be appreciated. The original mix was just wrecthed for his kit. You can hear the enormous amount of effects and cleaning this new mix has done to his drum kit.....and I think that is a result of his drums being recorded like crap and the original room etc....just was not set up properly and like it always has been in the past. And even though his drums are vastly improved.....you can hear how artificial it sounds in various moments as it had to be to salvage what was a dreadful original tracking session. Just keeping it real from a musicians ear.

The seperation of Alex's guitar layers really brings out the brilliance of his playing on this record. Without question this along with Signals through Hold Fire is the most technically ambitous guitar phrasing he has ever recorded. His guitar work on The Stars Look Down is nothing short of brilliance. His playing on Vapor Trails and Celing Unlimited are just sizzling as well.

It truly is like listening to a new album. I look forward to my vinyl copy to arrive as well.

Kudos to Rush for giving the fans a really kick ass gift. VT is climbing back up my Rush album rankings. It is still not nearly one of my favorite bodies of work from them.....but it surely has a special place in my heart.

Let's put it this way......I was never more happy than when I purchased VT as it signaled the return of my favorite band.....and it was without a doubt the most personal insight into the human soul Neil has ever produced lyrically. And reading Ghost Rider brings this albums emotions front and center. So from an emotional level.....this is their finest work. The exposed themselves....they were completely naked on this album and just threw everything on the wall.

Most of it has sticked.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 4

I was just as naive, back in the day. I loved VT from the first listen, and I foolishly thought, "Wow, here's a record that will unite Rush fans! EVERYONE is going to love it!" Then I hit the message boards and saw all the thumbs-down votes, mostly because of the production.

I'm no audiophile, but I eventually came to understand that the gripes were justified. This wasn't a matter of the album sounding INTENTIONALLY "raw" or "grungy," this was a butchering job in the mixing and mastering. Still, I loved the songs and was a fierce defender of the album.

I also really like the comment that this isn’t as “self assured” as their other work. I agree and think that’s one of the many charms of this album. Vapor Trails remains a richly layered work of almost reckless abandon by a band with nothing left to lose and everything to gain. Talk about putting it all out there. For me, it’s classic and important.

I can only agree and amplify this. From the start, I viewed VT as a unique and daring artistic statement. The guys really took a lot of chances on this album - all the guitar layering, the vocal layering, the absence of keyboards, the dearth of guitar solos - and the result is an album which sounds very different from anything else they've done, before or since. It manages to be as hard-rocking as their other albums, but is also very "artsy." It's really got a character all its own. And we hear now that it's also an "emotional" album.

Vapor Trails is to Rush what The Unforgettable Fire is to U2. They could've played it safe and released something which sounded like its successful predecessors, but they were bold and gave us atmospheric ART instead. Love it or hate it or just "like" it, you have to give props to Rush for being artists, and not salesmen.

Ohhhhhhh salesmen :rush:

When the Sector sets came out the most noticeable changes were on Hold Your Fire. It was a bit jarring at first, but months later with comparisons to the the original have left me feeling like I have two versions to choose from. I listen to Rush on vinyl more than anything, but every time I listen to the LP now I have to hear the remastered CD again or these days the HD Tracks version. It will probably happen with Vapor Trails versus Vapor Trails Remixed now. It's all a conspiracy to get us to listen to more Rush.

I'm so impressed by how friendly this is to listen to. This album can be cranked to eardrum breaking levels and it still sound amazing. You can turn UP the bass instead of having to turn it down (if you think VT Remixed has less "balls", then you haven't fiddled with your knob). This is like an audiophiles dream, while being iTunes earbud friendly (I am supposing). Everyone wins. Absolutely everyone!

:hail: :rush:

• Like 1

Well, I've been listening to it all week, I'm making up for lost time... I first heard it ten years ago and I was like ... bleck! I can't stand this!!

So although my favorite band (eer, well 3 way tied with Pink Floyd and Yes) has an album with "possibilities" I would not again subject my ears and brain to this set of songs until Tuesday morning October first 2013. I reall, really like this album NOW!!

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Like 1

Big U2 fan here. I look it as more like Pop. Pop was U2's last (only) ROCK record after the "electro" icing was stripped away, the last time the lyrics were decent and deeply personal, with the band in a dark space. Polarized many fans and to this day the band doesn't play much if any material from it. It also needs a remix badly, but ultimately it's strength, the deeply personal emotional SONGS are it's strength. Unlike U2 however, Rush has come back and not only made a great late career album (CA), they've also fixed the flaws in another late career great record.

I finally got around to giving the new improved VT a good listening. I played it through my Denon receiver and Definitive speakers... And I came away thoroughly impressed. I heard instruments I've never heard before. It was amazing. I'll have to go next door and see what my neighbors thought of the remix. ;)
  • Like 3

Ive been listening to it for 3 days. Musically its clearly far better than the muddy mess than it was, but vocally, not working for me at all. It sounds like the engineer took a little too much liberty with that. Rush approved it, but the last time they had total control over an albums recording, which was this album, we say how that turned out. They are not recording engineers. Geddys vocals are so in front of the mix, and not IN it, it just sound so separate and strange.

He also changed a lot of things like at around 3:28 in Ceiling Unlimited. That vocal on the original track was much more in the background which felt right. He pulled it out front and it sounds ridiculous now. The same recording repeated twice way in front of the mix. Derp nice job. Theres so much of this now, it sounds like something a recording school engineer would do.

Ive been listening to it for 3 days. Musically its clearly far better than the muddy mess than it was, but vocally, not working for me at all. It sounds like the engineer took a little too much liberty with that. Rush approved it, but the last time they had total control over an albums recording, which was this album, we say how that turned out. They are not recording engineers. Geddys vocals are so in front of the mix, and not IN it, it just sound so separate and strange.

He also changed a lot of things like at around 3:28 in Ceiling Unlimited. That vocal on the original track was much more in the background which felt right. He pulled it out front and it sounds ridiculous now. The same recording repeated twice way in front of the mix. Derp nice job. Theres so much of this now, it sounds like something a recording school engineer would do.

:LOL:

when I saw Trenken posted in this thread I thought "could he possibly have something positive to say?"

nah.

• Like 1

Compared the the bloated and flatulent original, this remix is muscular, lean, and cogent. It's a bit too lean in places and Ged's voice dominates some tunes, but it's much easier to listent to.

I forgot my copy in my friends car last night :(

I forgot my original copy in a car 5 years ago...when I sold the car. Thrilled to have another copy after so long!

• Like 1

Ive always been a big fan of this record since it came out. For me the remix does miss some of the brashness I liked from the orig. but I feel like its almost like a live in studio recording with a few overdubs, kinda like the BBC recording. Which I like that aspect too. I need a few days with it i figure, just brought it home today
  • Like 1

I don't like it.

The sound is better as far as the loudness goes, but the drums sound awful now. They almost sound fake more often than not, as they have this really weird tin can-sound to them at times. And at times, they have this weird kind of echoing thing going on, like the beginning of Nocturne, which just sounds goofy.

Plus, a lot of the vocal lines have been manipulated, and some of them sound completely unnatural, a) because they are now mixed in a way that no one would ever sing them, and b) they don't sound anything like the way Geddy would ever sing them.

I've had this on for the last two days and I am not liking it all. The iTunes remaster from earlier this year was an improvement, and that will likely remain the VT I listen to.

Edited by The K Man

Too me this remixed version just keeps climbing up the latter. It goes up the latter, goes higher and higher and higher, until its musical consciousness grows deeper and deeper and deeper.

Vapor Trails was the first Rush album I got into at a time when I knew nothing about sound quality. As my ears became musically trained the album fell by the wayside, and with this remix I can finally listen to it again. To me it stands as one of their strongest efforts. Many don't agree with me and I'm okay with that. I personally appreciate a band that has given it a hell of a squirt of rock sauce! ;)