If you could make a single critique to Neil, face to face, what would you say?

GeminiRising79

I would probably pee my pants or faint.

He would probably do the same if I were ever to engage him on the choices he's made for the band over the past 10 yrs.

He would probably do the same if I were ever to engage him on the choices he's made for the band over the past 10 yrs.

Once again you won't elaborate? I'm having a hard time understanding how a drummer that doesn't write the music ran the band into the ground.

In a nutshell, Neil was given carte blanche to control Rush and Rush's direction when he returned from his hiatus. He then, eventually, and unilaterally, made Rush his own exclusive/personal pet project. Alex and Geddy surely had the best of intentions in handing over the reigns to him, but find themselves at his mercy, more or less. It is even obvious in interviews with all three present. Neil dominates the interviews. And disrespectfully talks over top of his bandmates. Often. They look meek in his presence. It is offensive to me. Neil took the ball and ran with his own selfish agenda, and has been doing so for the past 10 years. This is why I oftenly say that "Neil is Rush".

...then don't be a fan? :wtf:

Or does that make too much sense?

• Like 1

I'm almost convinced that Gemini is actually Lifeson taking the piss

GR sounds more like a Solaris BlueRaven disciple. The only thing missing from his diatrible is how Neil exhibits illuminati-like mind control over Alex and Geddy. Absolutely delusional.

• Like 1

Once again you won't elaborate? I'm having a hard time understanding how a drummer that doesn't write the music ran the band into the ground.

In a nutshell, Neil was given carte blanche to control Rush and Rush's direction when he returned from his hiatus. He then, eventually, and unilaterally, made Rush his own exclusive/personal pet project. Alex and Geddy surely had the best of intentions in handing over the reigns to him, but find themselves at his mercy, more or less. It is even obvious in interviews with all three present. Neil dominates the interviews. And disrespectfully talks over top of his bandmates. Often. They look meek in his presence. It is offensive to me. Neil took the ball and ran with his own selfish agenda, and has been doing so for the past 10 years. This is why I oftenly say that "Neil is Rush".

I noticed that too. No matter where you look, there he is - and he cuts Geddy off in mid-sentence during interviews. Poor Alex only gets as far as opening his mouth. Neil doesn't even give him a chance to speak!

And he hogs the camera when pictures are taken. Everywhere you look, there he is. If he gives one more interview, I'll scream.

Doesn't he ever shut up???

I should feel pity for you, but I don't.

I wouldn't make a critique. I'd tell him to give the hipster primadonna Geddy a nice squeeze on the bum for me.
  • Like 1

I'm almost convinced that Gemini is actually Lifeson taking the piss

GR sounds more like a Solaris BlueRaven disciple. The only thing missing from his diatrible is how Neil exhibits illuminati-like mind control over Alex and Geddy. Absolutely delusional.

What? You think that's all made up? ;)

Look at all of the aspects of my life that Rush controls...

I should be doing anatomy homework and I'm on this forum. I should have finally taken a trip to Europe and I go see them three times instead this summer. I should buy normal clothes but I only want more Rush shirts, etc... etc...

• Like 1

But Gem, what did Neil do to you personally?

He took an extraordinary band with a wonderful track record and single-handedly drove it into a bog.

Neil has been in the band longer than I've been alive. So you've had some time to GTF over it. Now GTFO of here and go eat some more peanut butter ya hack.

• Like 1

I noticed that too. No matter where you look, there he is - and he cuts Geddy off in mid-sentence during interviews. Poor Alex only gets as far as opening his mouth. Neil doesn't even give him a chance to speak!

And he hogs the camera when pictures are taken. Everywhere you look, there he is. If he gives one more interview, I'll scream.

I read that as sarcasm :)

• Like 2

That's too bad that you took me seriously. Anyone here that knows me would have known that I wasn't.

That's too bad that you took me seriously. Anyone here that knows me would have known that I wasn't.

I apologize to you then. No sarcasm was detected. Maybe it's my mood today. You should be a little more over the top next time. Your post read like a concurring echo. :cheers:

• Like 1

I apologize to you then. No sarcasm was detected. Maybe it's my mood today. You should be a little more over the top next time. Your post read like a concurring echo. :cheers:

I thought he was joking. He's not?

And as for me being more over the top, I thought my post was over the top. I never see Neil at any interviews. As far as I know (and I am no expert on Rush as many here are), he leaves the publicity to Alex and Geddy.

In any event, I'll go back to my Geddy corner where I can stay out of trouble. :ph34r: ;) :macallan:

• Like 1

Neil has always dominated interviews. Didn't you see the extras on R30. Do you have any actual evidence of your obviously false theory, or did you just make up that one piece of false evidence?

I thought he was joking. He's not?

And as for me being more over the top, I thought my post was over the top. I never see Neil at any interviews. As far as I know (and I am no expert on Rush as many here are), he leaves the publicity to Alex and Geddy.

In any event, I'll go back to my Geddy corner where I can stay out of trouble. :ph34r: ;) :macallan:

No, he seems quite serious. Having delusions is serious too. In my amateur opinion, he has a non-bizarre type delusion which is a delusion that is obviously false, but is at least possible.

Of course, it could be an act and therefore the most elaborate ruse in TRF history, but I don't think so.

Neil has always dominated interviews. Didn't you see the extras on R30. Do you have any actual evidence of your obviously false theory, or did you just make up that one piece of false evidence?

It's enough to make me want to wear a monster mask.

• Like 1

As far as talking over the other band members during interviews, I've actually seen him do this once or twice, but I'm sure it has more to do with his social anxiety. He's so nervous that he can't relax enough to communicate properly.

Watch his rrhof speech, when the audience claps or laughs at something he says, he often doesn't pause like anyone else would. He just keeps talking like he can't even hear it. His brain is on autopilot because he's focusing so hard just to get through it. This is also why he's monotone and hard to listen to any time he's giving a speech. Ged and Al are mostly likely aware of this and are just being gracious when they let him interrupt.

• Like 3

Here's what I'd say to him: "I don't want to push you into being friends with me or even into being nice to me - we never even met! But I have been a huge fan of your work for many years, and you're a true inspiration. Thanks so much, and enjoy your drink."

I would shake his hand and tell him how great I think Clockwork Angels is then I'll continue to tell him what a nice guy GeminiRising79 is and how much he love all of RUSH work since 2002. I would tell him that in his honor on the next tour they should play with an entire orchestra and play CA in its entirety even if it meant that they would drop songs like Xanadu and Natural Scice to do so. I would express how GeminiRsisng79 would just love to hear the albums VT and S&A played back to back so he could finally go to his grave a happy and satisfied human being. :nya nya:

Here's what I'd say to him: "I don't want to push you into being friends with me or even into being nice to me - we never even met! But I have been a huge fan of your work for many years, and you're a true inspiration. Thanks so much, and enjoy your drink."

So you're meeting him at breakfast?