If you could make a single critique to Neil, face to face, what would you say?

GeminiRising79

But Gem, what did Neil do to you personally?

He took an extraordinary band with a wonderful track record and single-handedly drove it into a bog.

If Clockwork Angels is a "bog", then job well done! :ebert:
  • Like 4

to answer the OP, I think I'd try to avoid talking about him and Rush as much as possible .. until I get him drunk!! :madra:

OH yeah!!! I've read in very recent interviews he enjoys a good drink or two.

"Hey, dude!! Let ME buy YOU a drink."

But Gem, what did Neil do to you personally?

He took an extraordinary band with a wonderful track record and single-handedly drove it into a bog.

:laughing guy:

I'd be all like, "Hey dude! Your kit you're using these days is lame, bro. You gotta get that setup from Exit...Stage Left back. Ya know, with the tubular bells and temple blocks and cowbells and the Tamas and stuff. This rotating riser with all the electronic drum stuff is wack, yo. And those DWs sound like shit. Hey where are you going? Don't walk away from me! I'm a member of The Rush Forum, dammit! Clockwork Angels is overrated and your fills are sloppy! You big fat, Fatty McFatterson. With your dumb hats and your stupid motorcycles and dumb stupid Macallan with ice in it. You're not supposed to put ice in single malts you idiot! Go back to California with all the dumb California people. Hey, come on. Come back... I didn't mean it. I'm sorry! Please play A Farewell to Kings next tour.... and Xanadu. Please? And Cygnus book I and II. And Necromancer!" Yeah, something like that.
  • Like 7

I'd be all like, "Hey dude! Your kit you're using these days is lame, bro. You gotta get that setup from Exit...Stage Left back. Ya know, with the tubular bells and temple blocks and cowbells and the Tamas and stuff. This rotating riser with all the electronic drum stuff is wack, yo. And those DWs sound like shit. Hey where are you going? Don't walk away from me! I'm a member of The Rush Forum, dammit! Clockwork Angels is overrated and your fills are sloppy! You big fat, Fatty McFatterson. With your dumb hats and your stupid motorcycles and dumb stupid Macallan with ice in it. You're not supposed to put ice in single malts you idiot! Go back to California with all the dumb California people. Hey, come on. Come back... I didn't mean it. I'm sorry! Please play A Farewell to Kings next tour.... and Xanadu. Please? And Cygnus book I and II. And Necromancer!" Yeah, something like that.

That's great!

I would probably pee my pants or faint.

He would probably do the same if I were ever to engage him on the choices he's made for the band over the past 10 yrs.

He would probably do the same if I were ever to engage him on the choices he's made for the band over the past 10 yrs.

Once again you won't elaborate? I'm having a hard time understanding how a drummer that doesn't write the music ran the band into the ground.

Once again you won't elaborate? I'm having a hard time understanding how a drummer that doesn't write the music ran the band into the ground.

he's trolling

Well i thought i might ask him to get more abstract lyrically as he was for me in permanent waves for example, and i thought i might ask him to grow his little ponytail again as a romantic flashback to the past... then i thought about asking him to tour a lot less now conserving his and the band's energy in their later years to make more new music instead..

Then i thought bugger it he's the man he dont need me to tell him anything... so decided not to bother and just fall at his feet in respect appreciation love and worship instead.

"Mr. Peart, you'd be amazed at how many of your apologists quote one particular line from Limelight to excuse your dickish behavior. The whole song in general, and that line in particular, was a brilliant move on your part."
  • Like 2

In a nutshell, Neil was given carte blanche to control Rush and Rush's direction when he returned from his hiatus. He then, eventually, and unilaterally, made Rush his own exclusive/personal pet project. Alex and Geddy surely had the best of intentions in handing over the reigns to him, but find themselves at his mercy, more or less. It is even obvious in interviews with all three present. Neil dominates the interviews. And disrespectfully talks over top of his bandmates. Often. They look meek in his presence. It is offensive to me. Neil took the ball and ran with his own selfish agenda, and has been doing so for the past 10 years. This is why I oftenly say that "Neil is Rush".

Edited by GeminiRising79

In a nutshell, Neil was given carte blanche to control Rush and Rush's direction when he returned from his hiatus. He then, eventually, and unilaterally, made Rush his own exclusive/personal pet project. Alex and Geddy surely had the best of intentions in handing over the reigns to him, but find themselves at his mercy, more or less. It is even obvious in interviews with all three present. Neil dominates the interviews. And disrespectfully talks over top of his bandmates. Often. They look meek in his presence. It is offensive to me. Neil took the ball and ran with his own selfish agenda, and has been doing so for the past 10 years. This is why I oftenly say that "Neil is Rush".

I noticed that too. No matter where you look, there he is - and he cuts Geddy off in mid-sentence during interviews. Poor Alex only gets as far as opening his mouth. Neil doesn't even give him a chance to speak!

And he hogs the camera when pictures are taken. Everywhere you look, there he is. If he gives one more interview, I'll scream.

Doesn't he ever shut up???

• Like 1