Is there "anything" you don't like about Rush music?

Virtualbob64

I guess speaking for myself,as far as VT,S&A,and CA anyway I think Geddy is going a little overboard on the layering of his vocals.Do you know what I mean?

I only really thought he was out of control with the layering on VT. Without the solos and keys he felt a need to fill in the sound.

If I had to pick anything I guess my biggest issue with them is the safe song writing. They are so far away from what I loved about 2112-MP. They were a lot more creative and adventurous back then. Even with CA, they made it sound like this was going to be a prog album, but its not really any different than any other albums from the 90s or 00's. I was expecting a lot of parts, time changes, complex sections, a couple really long songs, some crazy instrumental work here and there, but there's really none of that.

Nick seemed like he really wanted to push them with this album and go back to their roots a bit which I think would have been so refreshing but Geddy wasnt having it. Even with Neil writing a long story, Geddy cant get out of safe song writing mode and said he wanted each song to be able to stand on its own. WHY????? Just go nuts, this could be your last album you ever write, so why have rules that theyve been chained to since maybe Signals.

• Like 2

:unsure:

Yeah, I don't like or hate 4 of their albums (although 2 of those had a great song or two). I don't like how Geddy's voice has deteriorated so drastically live in recent years. I really wish they'd have spent a lot more time making new albums in recent years instead of endless touring.

Other than that, LOVE 'EM! :yes: :wub:

• Like 1

I find some of Rush's lyrics to be a bit simplistic and cringeworthy. I think all the post-Power Windows albums would benefit from some editing. I think some of the post-Test for Echo material lacks strong melodies. I think Alex Lifeson should shred guitar solos more often, for instance, I think "Far Cry" is a classic Alex Lifeson solo away from being among Rush's very best songs.

All in all, everything I posted above is pretty much nitpicking.

• Like 2

Not really being a proper rush head but every now and then i like to try something maybe a little less intense, like for instance right now ive rediscovered the truly great rock album black rose by thin lizzy.

What a great album phil is still sorely missed.

:(

I wish they were more spontaneous live.. I appreciate the precise approach they have, but it would be cool to hear them mix it up a bit and just go for it
  • Like 4

I think like someone else mentioned - the 1000 Geddy's. I would rather have that empty space filled in with awesome fills or even synths. Edited by theanalogmiddleagedman

I wish they were more spontaneous live.. I appreciate the precise approach they have, but it would be cool to hear them mix it up a bit and just go for it

yeah, I can deal with the same set every night, but the same "we're all about a thousand years old, so it's time for a break" joke every night at the exact same time too? come on, rock 'n roll doesn't need scripted comedy.

I guess speaking for myself,as far as VT,S&A,and CA anyway I think Geddy is going a little overboard on the layering of his vocals.Do you know what I mean?

I only really thought he was out of control with the layering on VT. Without the solos and keys he felt a need to fill in the sound.

If I had to pick anything I guess my biggest issue with them is the safe song writing. They are so far away from what I loved about 2112-MP. They were a lot more creative and adventurous back then. Even with CA, they made it sound like this was going to be a prog album, but its not really any different than any other albums from the 90s or 00's. I was expecting a lot of parts, time changes, complex sections, a couple really long songs, some crazy instrumental work here and there, but there's really none of that.

Nick seemed like he really wanted to push them with this album and go back to their roots a bit which I think would have been so refreshing but Geddy wasnt having it. Even with Neil writing a long story, Geddy cant get out of safe song writing mode and said he wanted each song to be able to stand on its own. WHY????? Just go nuts, this could be your last album you ever write, so why have rules that theyve been chained to since maybe Signals.

You keep proving to be the idiot i knew you were!!!!

Did we listen to the same Clockwork Angels album?

• Like 5

yeah, I can deal with the same set every night, but the same "we're all about a thousand years old, so it's time for a break" joke every night at the exact same time too? come on, rock 'n roll doesn't need scripted comedy.

Yeah, thats been one of the knocks on them by more spontaneous type musicians...punk guys especially.