Losing It & Countdown

Cygnus 2112

Signals is a kick ass album but I find that both of these songs would be perfect for ending the album. Would it of been better for RUSH to hold off on releasing either Countdown or Losing It and releasing them with Grace Under Pressure?

Countdown kicks butt, but it is lacking something. The song builds up to what would be one hell of a crescendo, but it never happens. That song could have been their greatest, IMHO, if they would have let Alex "cut loose." Bravado is another song that I love, but I wish was longer. I guess I want every Rush song to be 10 minutes, minimum!!!!

Chemistry is a kick ass song on that album, too. I think it is VERY underestimated.

Why wasn't Losing It played on this tour. They had the strings with them. Some of those string players were HOT, too. They should have let one of them take to the spotlight and play that violin along with Alex's guitar, on that song. It would have been awesome!

• Like 1

Countdown kicks butt, but it is lacking something. The song builds up to what would be one hell of a crescendo, but it never happens. That song could have been their greatest, IMHO, if they would have let Alex "cut loose." Bravado is another song that I love, but I wish was longer. I guess I want every Rush song to be 10 minutes, minimum!!!!

Chemistry is a kick ass song on that album, too. I think it is VERY underestimated.

Why wasn't Losing It played on this tour. They had the strings with them. Some of those string players were HOT, too. They should have let one of them take to the spotlight and play that violin along with Alex's guitar, on that song. It would have been awesome!

:goodone: :goodone: :goodone:

Spot on, man. Countdown builds up to what should be a kickass solo from Alex, but then they decided to go with the keyboards and the fade-out ending. I would add a guitar solo after the keyboard and expand the great riff they play at the end for a few more bars. And I love Chemistry too, and sound-wise it´s a natural sequence to what they tried to do with Vital Signs. I´m not sure if this has ever been played live, but it should!

Losing It is one that I think they will eventually play live, as well as Jacob´s Ladder, if us fans keep talking about it. They held back on The Camera Eye for years, knowing we asked for it, so I´m sure they´ll find a way of adding them to one of the "concepts" of upcoming tours.

• Like 1

According to RIAB, interviewer Steve Adams of the Birmingham Post told RIAB that Geddy spoke with him about how the band did consider playing Losing It from Signals on the current tour and that Jonathan Dinklage, one of the members of the string section, is a longtime fan of the band and had developed an interesting take on the song.

No mention of why Losing It didn't make the cut. This tidbit didn't make it into the interview.

http://www.birminghampost.net/life-leisure-birmingham-guide/birmingham-culture/music-in-birmingham/2013/05/24/rush-have-no-intention-of-slowing-down-65233-33366679/

• Like 1

Would have been easier to do it this tour with the string section, Audrey would have looked good under the lights with an electric violin waylin away.

It is a bit down beat for a high powered stage show, still one of my favs though.

Countdown was a good closer, but it was held back, much like the rupert hine production on presto, lots of potential, not alot of final output.

And I love Chemistry too, and sound-wise it´s a natural sequence to what they tried to do with Vital Signs. I´m not sure if this has ever been played live, but it should!

Yup, it's been played live. Alex did the ascending keyboard line with his feet during the chorus.

And I love Chemistry too, and sound-wise it´s a natural sequence to what they tried to do with Vital Signs. I´m not sure if this has ever been played live, but it should!

Yup, it's been played live. Alex did the ascending keyboard line with his feet during the chorus.

:rush:

Edited by Show Don't Tell

I bloody hope they never play Losing It, that depressing dirge that couldn't be further from the current reality of Rush! :LOL:

That will be the last song in the set list of their last tour. This will be good, because it will give me a good 5 minute head start getting out of Jiffy Lube Live.

:laughing guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GbS5TfL0w8

:rush:

That's the ticket!

Not a fan of either of these songs really - I think they spoil an otherwise great album (ironically seems to be what most most people say about the last 2 tracks on HYF but I think they're great!). I totally agree with GeddysMullet that Losing It is a dirge of a song with pointlessly depressing lyrics. And do you really think the band would want to play a song dealing with that kind of subject matter live at this stage of their career? Hardly think so! Countdown is kind of meh for me - could take it or leave it. Kind of a shame as I think the rest of the album is superb! Each to their own I guess :)

"Losing It" is a very good song. I think the music and lyrics complement each other perfectly.

"Countdown" always reminds me of a demo. The song I imagine is better than the song they recorded. It's a good song, but it sounds like a mistep to me.

Losing it is a nice song, but I wouldn't want to hear it live. Too much of a downer.

Loved Countdown in my youth. There is just too much keyboard, and not enough Alex to catapult that song into the epic category.

Signals is perfect the way that it is. Every song is perfectly placed on that album. I would not mind hearing it in its entirety.
  • Like 3

Countdown is awesome and everyone knows How I feel about Losing It but they were both released at the right time and under the right album!

We are on the same page with Losing It. It never grows old...

• Like 1

Countdown is awesome and everyone knows How I feel about Losing It but they were both released at the right time and under the right album!

We are on the same page with Losing It. It never grows old...

Not in my book!

• Like 1

You need both songs to perpeuate and conclude the album's twin themes of constraint and release. "Losing It" is the counterpart to "Analog Kid" while "Countdown" takes the constraint of "Subdivisions" and both breaks and transcends it.

Signals is a hell of an underrated concept album.