How is Peart pronounced?

Cygnus 2112

Most people pronounce it incorrectly... they say it like the shampoo - "Pert"... correctly, it's sounds like Peert." Google "Neil Peart on Letterman" and you'll hear Dave's intro... he says it correctly.

I'm not ashamed to admit it. I learned how to pronounce his name correctly only recently.....about a year or so ago. :oops:

I did manage to avoid self-flagellation as penance....but the thought did occur once or twice..... :unsure:

Edited by Principled Man

It's pronounced PERT! Like the pert buttocks of one of Neil's groupie girls! And don't give me any of that stuff about pee-art, I doubt Neil would want to basically dub himself "Neil Piss Artist"!!!

:nya nya: :madra: :hi: :joker:

Most people pronounce it incorrectly... they say it like the shampoo - "Pert"... correctly, it's sounds like Peert." Google "Neil Peart on Letterman" and you'll hear Dave's intro... he says it correctly.

I thought I saw an interview once where he said "pronounce the word 'pear', then add a 't' on the end". which would be different than "Peert"..

On the topic of mis-pronouncing names, when I first was getting into rush, I pronounced Geddy as Gee-Dee . I was very quickly corrected.

It's spelled "Peart" but it's pronounced "throatwarblermangrove"

You're a very silly man and I'm not going to interview you.

(It's not even a proper nose. It's polystyrene.)

Edited by Your_Lion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBMnH6FWXUs

Starts at 1:38 . Straight from Pratt's mouth.

What the hell does that guy know?

Yeah, I wouldn't trust him for a second. In fact, he'd be the LAST person I'd ask. Think about it - he's Neil Peart - he's obviously biased and completely unable to answer the question with anything approaching objectivity.

Just got done educating some guy on YouTube.  He was swearing up and down that Neil's name is pronounced "Pert"..... :laugh:

• Haha 2

"It's not Pert, Pert, or Pert. It's Peart. "

I think that's from Off The Record or one of the other syndicated radio shows from the mid 80's.  I remember him saying that. 

• Like 1

I can recall Neil cringe when people would pronounce it Pert. When most know it to be Pear-t.

Similar I'll make corrections to people spelling my name Earl when it's spelt EARLE.✌️

Neil may have been related to Washington Post humorist Alexandra Petri, whose name is pronounced "PEE-try"....not "pee-tree" as in petri dish.    :wink: