Hawkins and Grohl to induct Rush into Hall of Fame

Powderfinger

I don't want to call the Foo Fighters hacks, but to me they're considered great only because there are so few popular rock bands around these days. Compare them to the great classic rock bands of the 60's and 70's and they pale miserably by comparison. I used to say that U2 and REM were really popular in the 80's only because they didn't have a lot to compete with, and they also couldn't hold a candle to the great classic rock bands. The Foo Fighters are a step down from there. There's nothing necessarily really wrong with them, but they get a big MEH from me.

Similarly, them inducting Rush is a really big MEH at best - a completely uninspiring choice. Should have been Jack Black all the way.

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 3

They are a good choice, and not just because the Foos are a great band who like Rush. They were also inspired by Rush.

Said Dave: I remember being inspired by Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. Up until that point I would just listen to whatever my parents or my sister were listening to, the West Side Story soundtrack, Carly Simon and The Beatles. But when I heard Frankenstein, I thought, "Wow, everything about this song stands out, the riffs, the keyboards, and particularly the drums." That summer, one of my cousins gave me Rush's 2112, and Idon't know how, but Icould tell what each individual piece of the drum kit was doing; Iknew which sound was the hi-hat, which sound was the ride cymbal, and so on. I learned about drums by setting my pillows up on my bed and on the floor, and beating along on them with these big f***ing marching sticks I stole from a friend. The house I grew up in is really small, and I couldn't afford a drum set until I was 17 - I'd wait until the drummer in my band went home after practice and play on his kit.

• Like 1

I don't want to call the Foo Fighters hacks, but to me they're considered great only because there are so few popular rock bands around these days. Compare them to the great classic rock bands of the 60's and 70's and they pale miserably by comparison. I used to say that U2 and REM were really popular in the 80's only because they didn't have a lot to compete with, and they also couldn't hold a candle to the great classic rock bands. The Foo Fighters are a step down from there. There's nothing necessarily really wrong with them, but they get a big MEH from me.

Similarly, them inducting Rush is a really big MEH at best - a completely uninspiring choice. Should have been Jack Black all the way.

So disappointing. Aside from a couple of hits, fuckk they're so overrated. As much as I like Corgan that would've been overkill, yeah Jack would've been a good choice. Has he actually inducted anyone before?

Anyone but that assclown Jack Black..... :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

Whoever gives the induction speech should be classy about it. Nothing negative. No nasty comments about any alleged shunning or blackballing in the past. Focus on all the positive things about Rush and why they are being inducted. The band isn't negative, so no one else should be negative either.....

Anyone but that assclown Jack Black..... :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

Whoever gives the induction speech should be classy about it. Nothing negative. No nasty comments about any alleged shunning or blackballing in the past. Focus on all the positive things about Rush and why they are being inducted. The band isn't negative, so no one else should be negative either.....

What makes you think Jack Black would be negative? He LOVES the band. He'd be perfect, and he'd do it with a great sense of humor, which is something the band is known for.

They have relevance in the current rock scene. It actually makes Rush look good.

Some were suggesting Donna Halper, but who the hell knows who she is besides the Rush fan base?

I have no problems with Grohl or Hawkins.

• Like 2

I'd rather see Jack Black. Not a fan of the Foo Fighters. Every song sounds the same. Start with some music, along with some whispering lyrics, which builds into a crescendo of shitty guitar and unitelligible words. No thanks.
  • Like 1

I don't see why Jack Black HAS to induct. It's not like he's got a visible history with the band before OTLS. Hawkins and Grohl are huge fans and one of the biggest bands in the world. Metallica is heavily influenced by Rush. Makes sense that they play a role in it somehow. Before this article came out the Yukon Blade Grinder did report that Taylor Hawkins was in the "tribute" band...they were on it way before hand Edited by Tombstone Mountain

I cannot agree more. On paper, I think Jack Black would be most fun.

You guys are missing the point. It's not what WE think of the foo fighters... The industry respects them and Grohl has some serious credibility with a lot of current bands... He was a member of arguably the most influential band of the last 20 years.. It speaks volumes for the greatness of Rush that he is willing to induct them .

• Like 2

They have relevance in the current rock scene. It actually makes Rush look good.

Some were suggesting Donna Halper, but who the hell knows who she is besides the Rush fan base?

I have no problems with Grohl or Hawkins.

Agree,and it pushes them more into the public domain, who knows Australia may just acknowledge them as they are next to invisible here.

Edited by tas7

You guys are missing the point. It's not what WE think of the foo fighters... The industry respects them and Grohl has some serious credibility with a lot of current bands... He was a member of arguably the most influential band of the last 20 years.. It speaks volumes for the greatness of Rush that he is willing to induct them .

I understand, and in that way of thinking it is a logical choice, but I still wish it was someone I cared about or respected in some way. I don't disrespect Dave Grohl, I just think the Foo Fighters are overrated, and Nirvana is arguably the most overrated band of all time.

That said, I really don't know who else I think would be worthy. Sebastian Bach would be fun, but he came from a band I think even less of than The Foo Fighters. Billy Corgan I respect just because of his kind words about Rush in the past, even though again I don't care about The Smashing Pumpkins. I guess Dave Grohl is as good as anyone, as long as it's a major fan of the band. I was just hoping it was someone who I cared about in some regard. Jack Black is a musician, but really he's more of a superfan, and a great entertainer. Some old time rock musician would have been cool, like maybe Gene Simmons. Anyway, it's a moot point, the deal is done. Really, in the end, I'm just f*cking glad they're getting in at all! :ebert:

Fool Fighter's frontman Dave Grovel and Justin "my first name is my dick size" Hawkins from the Darkness?? :eh:

Nope, Taylor, that blond, sufer dude looking drummer from the Foos. Love or hate the Foos, they're both about drumming and the professor is regarded by most as one of the best drummers ever so it makes sense.

I'm surprised none of you have suggested Paul Rudd or Jason Segel yet.

Edited by invisible airwave

They are a good choice, and not just because the Foos are a great band who like Rush. They were also inspired by Rush.

Said Dave: I remember being inspired by Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. Up until that point I would just listen to whatever my parents or my sister were listening to, the West Side Story soundtrack, Carly Simon and The Beatles. But when I heard Frankenstein, I thought, "Wow, everything about this song stands out, the riffs, the keyboards, and particularly the drums." That summer, one of my cousins gave me Rush's 2112, and Idon't know how, but Icould tell what each individual piece of the drum kit was doing; Iknew which sound was the hi-hat, which sound was the ride cymbal, and so on. I learned about drums by setting my pillows up on my bed and on the floor, and beating along on them with these big f***ing marching sticks I stole from a friend. The house I grew up in is really small, and I couldn't afford a drum set until I was 17 - I'd wait until the drummer in my band went home after practice and play on his kit.

I had never heard that quote, that's very cool.

Now I guess I'm okay with Taylor and Dave doing the intro.

So, I guess it's time to start speculating about how the "All-Star" Jam is going to work.

I don't see how any other group could even come close to the Foo Fighters for being the ideal choice. FF are cool, Grohl and Hawkins are sexy, the music appeals to a broad audience, the Nirvana connection, they a fantastic arena band. Much better then some old group.

If Rush is going into a mainstream organization like the RRHOF, then having a group with such incredible street creds is perfect. And is a real stick in the eye to all the haters who ridiculed and downplayed Rush's importance.

I love the Foo Fighters, and their song Floaty, from the first album always seemed to have an Alex Lifeson vibe to it for some reason.

Grohl is a great songwriter. I can understand people getting sick of seeing his face with every rock musician on the planet, but foo fighters have been solidly consistent.

I think it is a good choice. Dave and Taylor both love Rush. I think Rush is quite classy when it comes to award recognition and don't think they would really want any of the Jack Black rocket sauce nonsense. The Foo Fighters are well regarded in the industry (despite what we may or may not think of them - I like some of their material, Everlong being my favourite) and Nirvana's influence can not be denied.

Having Dave and Taylor induct them demonstrates the reach of Rush's influence, imo. If Rush influenced Dave Grohl who played for one of the most influential bands in rock history, what does that say about Rush?

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 2