Would You Rush Fanatics Ever Let The Boys Bring In A Younger Vocalist To Sing All Of The Old Stuff?

RUSHHEAD666

No, no other vocalist, for all of the reasons already mentioned! If Geddy can't sing anymore, and someone else has to come in to do it, Rush becomes a parody of themselves.

What I would love, though, is to have all those riff-heavy 70s songs in instrumental form! There's so much good guitar (and bass and drum) work that's a shame to sit around unplayed. I would be very happy with some vocals-less 'The Necromancer' (which doesn't have that much singing in it, anyway!) and a medley of songs like 'Anthem', 'Fly By Night', 'Bastille Day', 'Finding My Way', 'In The End', 'Hemispheres'... well, you get the point! I would be totally happy with instrumental versions of these songs!! Give us riffage!!!

Edited by Mika
  • Like 1

No, no other vocalist, for all of the reasons already mentioned! If Geddy can't sing anymore, and someone else has to come in to do it, Rush becomes a parody of themselves.

What I would love, though, is to have all those riff-heavy 70s songs in instrumental form! There's so much good guitar (and bass and drum) work that's a shame to sit around unplayed. I would be very happy with some vocals-less 'The Necromancer' (which doesn't have that much singing in it, anyway!) and a medley of songs like 'Anthem', 'Fly By Night', 'Bastille Day', 'Finding My Way', 'In The End', 'Hemispheres'... well, you get the point! I would be totally happy with instrumental versions of these songs!! Give us riffage!!!

Now THAT is a brilliant idea!

I'd say no Earl. At that point they become a tribute band. I would hope they'd pack it in first.

While true, what if they replaced Geddy with Michael Anthony. He used to do some crazy high stuff so he could probably handle Anthem or Best I Can. While we're at it, why not get EVH to play guitar on some of Alex's old stuff. Of course, MA was only backup so we'll find someone to sing lead vocal. Diamond Dave is between gigs. This is really starting to shape up. All we need is a drummer. Someone of Neil's equal. Of course, it was older material so he couldn't swing like he does now. You know what? I just bet Alex Van Halen would love to do it. He's also between gigs. Sure he's not Neil, but it's not Geddy or Alex either, so we're cool.

I'm all in on this one!

Rush Van Halen rules!

I'd say no Earl. At that point they become a tribute band. I would hope they'd pack it in first.

While true, what if they replaced Geddy with Michael Anthony. He used to do some crazy high stuff so he could probably handle Anthem or Best I Can. While we're at it, why not get EVH to play guitar on some of Alex's old stuff. Of course, MA was only backup so we'll find someone to sing lead vocal. Diamond Dave is between gigs. This is really starting to shape up. All we need is a drummer. Someone of Neil's equal. Of course, it was older material so he couldn't swing like he does now. You know what? I just bet Alex Van Halen would love to do it. He's also between gigs. Sure he's not Neil, but it's not Geddy or Alex either, so we're cool.

I'm all in on this one!

Rush Van Halen rules!

Interesting idea! "CARAVAN" HALEN! LOL!

• Like 1

I was wondering if some of you or if any of you would accept change in Rush.

Well at least for the live version.

Do you think the boys would ever hire someone from the outside as a vocalist to sing all of the old Rush stuff that Geddy can not sing anymore?

Geddy would still sing most of the songs but say the decided to do the first side of "Hemispheres" with a new lead singer. Of course Geddy would still play all bass parts, keys and bass pedals.

Do you think Rush would play more of their older canon if they actually had a vocalist who could sing those songs in 2013 and beyond?

Would it be an insult to Geddy?

Would it cheapen the product?

To think that the boys could play "Anthem" or "Something Or Nothing" again live with a different singer might actually excite me.

I saw a Rush Tribute Band in Walnut Creek last year called TED BARCHETTA. It's the current bass player's side band who is in Whitesnake.

Anyway they had this woman come up onto the stage to sing a few old Rush tunes and she absolutely BLEW MY MIND!

She sang "Anthem" and "Temples." She nailed it. It almost brought "Tears" to my eyes!

With anybody added or deleted it's just not Rush, pure and simple

Do you think the boys would ever hire someone from the outside as a vocalist to sing all of the old Rush stuff that Geddy can not sing anymore?

Geddy would still sing most of the songs but say the decided to do the first side of "Hemispheres" with a new lead singer. Of course Geddy would still play all bass parts, keys and bass pedals.

Do you think Rush would play more of their older canon if they actually had a vocalist who could sing those songs in 2013 and beyond?

To think that the boys could play "Anthem" or "Something Or Nothing" again live with a different singer might actually excite me.

I saw a Rush Tribute Band in Walnut Creek last year called TED BARCHETTA. It's the current bass player's side band who is in Whitesnake.

Anyway they had this woman come up onto the stage to sing a few old Rush tunes and she absolutely BLEW MY MIND!

She sang "Anthem" and "Temples." She nailed it. It almost brought "Tears" to my eyes!

Personally I hope they delete the "Clockwork Angels" Orchestra. JMO

Personally I hope they delete the "Clockwork Angels" Orchestra. JMO

I thought that was cool actually. It would be different if they were part of the group but really they are just part of the tour. I thought the second set was as kick butt as anything I've seen, and I've seen a lot.

I'm all in on this one!

Rush Van Halen rules!

Interesting idea! "CARAVAN" HALEN! LOL!

caraVAN HALEN!

:rfl:

Edited by CygnusGal

It would insult. It would cheapen. It would turn them into a integrity-challenged band like Yes, which is something I don't believe Rush is capable of being. The morning says, the answer is No.

I'm all in on this one!

Rush Van Halen rules!

:LOL:

You and I are both bass players. We both know Michael Anthony, while essential to the Van Halen sound (IMO) with his harmonies, couldn't handle the bass lines.

But what if they brought in Ann Wilson? She showed she can still handle Plant's vocals. Gene Simmons did call them Canadian Zeppelin. And if Alex isn't OK with that, maybe Ann's sister could sit in. She's a pretty good guitarist.

Now we're on to something.

• Like 1

Rush is no longer interested in playing the real old songs, so why would they worry about the vocals?

^^That. Rush by definition (it's in the OED, look it up) is Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee, and Neil Peart.

No. F*cking. Way.

I am sure we can find another excuse to have Justin Beiber kicked in the balls repeatedly.

• Like 2

I've read the title, I haven't read any other posts, but I must say emphatically right off the bat:

HELL F&%$ing NO!!! :no:

• Like 1

My gut reaction is :no: :no: A THOUSAND TIMES :no:

But on the other hand, if they had someone they were comfortable with, enjoyed playing with and felt good about, and it was that or retirement, I'd keep an open mind and go at least once.

I'm all in on this one!

Rush Van Halen rules!

:LOL:

You and I are both bass players. We both know Michael Anthony, while essential to the Van Halen sound (IMO) with his harmonies, couldn't handle the bass lines.

But what if they brought in Ann Wilson? She showed she can still handle Plant's vocals. Gene Simmons did call them Canadian Zeppelin. And if Alex isn't OK with that, maybe Ann's sister could sit in. She's a pretty good guitarist.

Now we're on to something.

True...okay maybe I got carried away. MA certainly doesn't play like Geddy. No one does. :notworthy: :geddy: :notworthy:

Jonathon Noyce can handle the bass parts though - he's classically trained and a fantastic player and I think he's free. So we'll get him on bass, Doane Perry on drums (what's Barry Barlow doing these days?) Martin Barre on guitar? John Evan would be great on the keyboard parts but I think we'll have to use Andy Giddings and I think he's free too. Wait, now we need a singer and we can't use Ian. He's older than Geddy and Ian's voice is *very* different than it's youthful version. Damn.

Hmmm...Ann did sound good at the Kennedy Honors. Need Nancy too - they're a set. If they could get Roger Fisher, then maybe. I'd want to hear Mistral Wind. :haz:

Rush Heart rules!