What 'Four Album' series is your favorite?

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

RUSH 4X4  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What Four Studio album series is your favorite? ( Live albums may or may not help you choose)).

• Rush, Fly By Night, Carees Of Steel, 2112.....( All The World's A Stage )
    • A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures....( Exit...Stage Left )
    • Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire...( A Show Of Hands )
    • Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, Test For Echo....( Different Stages )
    • Vapor Trails, Feedback, Snakes & Arrows, Clockwork Angels...( Rush In Rio, S&A Live)

No big surprise on the voting.

I did think that #3 and #4 would get more votes....

If your Top Five albums comes from each group....Same here.....It just goes to show how strong and diverse Rush as been over the years.

I almost picked #1....It still gets so much play time in my home.

1. Vapor Trails, Feedback, Snakes & Arrows, Clockwork Angels...( Rush In Rio, S&A Live)

2. A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures....( Exit...Stage Left )

3. Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire...( A Show Of Hands )

4. Rush, Fly By Night, Carees Of Steel, 2112.....( All The World's A Stage )

5. Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, Test For Echo....( Different Stages )

I think that's it, at least today, although I don't really count Feedback and would swap Rush In Rio for the Time Machine Tour as a live album that helps me decide. On another day it could just as easily go like this:

1. A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures....( Exit...Stage Left )

2. Vapor Trails, Feedback, Snakes & Arrows, Clockwork Angels...( Rush In Rio, S&A Live)

3. Rush, Fly By Night, Carees Of Steel, 2112.....( All The World's A Stage )

4. Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire...( A Show Of Hands )

5. Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, Test For Echo....( Different Stages )

Currently with over 80% of the vote, my pick is the popular AFTK-MP series.

Actually, I might've picked Hemispheres-Signals if that was a sequence option.

Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals

I see I'm not the only one thinking this.

• Like 1

I'd say my best four album streak would be: Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows.

Counterparts is between Roll The Bones and Test For Echo, two albums that aren't at the top of my list, so unfortunately it couldn't be included.

I would have gone with the Prog grouping of CoS, 2112, AFTK and Hemispheres, if it was an option. As it is, #2 beats out #1, followed by #5, #3 and #4 (anything with both Counterparts and Presto has to be the last option).
  • Like 1

That was tough

Presto-Test for Echo wins for me, but just barely.

Vapor Trails-Clockwork Angels is a very close second, but Feedback basically killed the strength of the other albums.

A distant way back from those first two is Signals-Hold Your Fire in third. A lot of strong material here, but the synthesizers sometimes overwhelmed.

Close to that era is the Classic Era of A Farewell to Kings-Moving Pictures. Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are two amazing albums, but the silly Progness of AF2K and Hemispheres in particular brings this era down. Also, it isn't helped that the sheer number of songs is less. 13 on Vapor Trails, 6 on Permanent Waves.

And then in a distant last is the first era. The debut album is comical. Fly By Night has some good stuff, but also some clunkers, including my all-time least favorite song by Rush, Rivendell. By-Tor is also ridiculous. Caress of Steel is a disaster. 2112 is about 65% good, 35% filler.

I explained these things because I know my opinion is unpopular, but that's how I see it.