Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - 2013 nominees

AM2112

Rush's official reaction to the announcement via the band's Facebook page:

"We are honored to be among the nominees for this year's Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame. We are especially thrilled for the many, many dedicated RUSH fans to whom this nomination is so very important." - Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart

I love this quote. While they're gracious in accepting the nomination, they've never really cared about getting into the Rock Hall, but they've often gone on record saying they know how important it is to many of their fans. To me, this re-affirms it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also glad to see that Rush has finally been nominated, but lets be honest here: with them competing against big rock and roll acts such as NWA, Public Enemy and Donna Summer, the chances of Rush actually getting in are VERY, VERY slim. Edited by TheWK90

Watch all the people who for years have proudly declared F*CK THE R&R HOF geek the hell out when they finally get inducted.

No one cares when they're being stepped over. It's a joke, etc. Soon as they're in it's a different story.

biggrin.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

more excited for public enemy than for rush!

bring the noize! 1022.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif

good to see NWA up there too. straight out of compton is an all time great.

edit- in general i say screw the RRHOF and after more thought cool10.gif its a little too little and a little too late for rush. if the institution had credibility they would of inducted rush a long time. its more of a corporate sellout bullshit award at this point.

PE only put out 4 good discs in IMO but their second disc was groundbreaking.

RIP Eazy E.

Edited by tangy

Geddy's statement, emphasis mine: "We are honored to be among the nominees for this year's Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. We are especially thrilled for the many, many dedicated fans to whom this nomination is so very important."

That's the crux of it right there. They realize it's more important to a good chunk of the masses than it really is to them personally (although they do appreciate and respect it).

The boys have more important things to worry about.

(like going bankrupt b/c of the current set list rofl3.gif No spoilers! This isn't the place. tongue.gif )

Edited by zappafrank

I hope they get in and I especially hope they show up to perform...

I have no desire to see anyone else playing Rush songs. I was never that big of an AC/DC fan, but when they got in and performed at the ceremony, it left me speechless. They were so good and polished that they won me over.

I want Rush to play and show everyone how it's done.

On the nomination, Cliff Burnstien may have been a factor... but, I also can't help but think about Eddie Trunk laying into that Hall Of Fame guy and pressing him about Rush being overlooked. Me thinks that that may have played a roll as well.

What a joke and Rush is going to be part of that? Maybe Madonna and Michael Jackson's kids can induct them.

I for one am incredibly excited. I know many are jaded and cynical, and often for good reason, but speaking as one who got an incredibly hard time for being a rush fan since 1982, it's still some validation in the public eye that this band deserves huge recognition. Is it too little to late? Of course it is, but I don't care. This is a big moment in rock and roll history as far as I'm concerned, even if no one else cares including many rush fans. 1022.gif

This is very good news, although a nomination isn't the same thing as induction. If I had to make a prediction, I'd say Heart might be the big rock band they induct this year. They've been nominated before but haven't gotten in, and in their peak they were a lot more mainstream than Rush has ever been.

On the other hand, who knows what is in the mind of the people who can actually influence the decision? I'm sure Rush will get a lot of fan votes, but they're only a small portion of the base that gets to vote. Perhaps things will change to allow this to happen.

More on this story to follow.

QUOTE (CrimsonE @ Oct 4 2012, 06:36 AM)
This is very good news, although a nomination isn't the same thing as induction.  If I had to make a prediction, I'd say Heart might be the big rock band they induct this year.  They've been nominated before but haven't gotten in, and in their peak they were a lot more mainstream than Rush has ever been. 

On the other hand, who knows what is in the mind of the people who can actually influence the decision?  I'm sure Rush will get a lot of fan votes, but they're only a small portion of the base that gets to vote.  Perhaps things will change to allow this to happen. 

More on this story to follow.

We don't know what will happen. For all we know, the people who vote on these things have been waiting a long time to have the opportunity to vote for Rush. They are, after all, an actual rock band, unlike some of the other nominees.

Yeah, you watch...now eeeeverybody will all of a sudden jump back on the bandwagon and magically stop bitching about what a joke the RRHOF is.

If they get in I'll watch it, but I watch most interviews and award ceremonies that Rush shows up for. The Hall lost its credibility years ago so this is yet another late period overdue recognition for the band. I hope they make it, but the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame is still a joke. I voted and if the fan votes mean anything they are in for sure unless Yawn Wenner throws a stink fit.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Oct 4 2012, 09:10 AM)
I really don't care whether they get into the Disco Hall of Fame or not, but as of right now, Rush has twice as many votes as the 2nd place band Deep Purple.

I think this will be a landslide vote for Rush.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vot...uctees-20121004

To you and everyone who thinks this "the fans get to vote" thing will have much of an impact: look carefully at the explanation of it, on the Rolling Stone website. The top five vote-getters, as voted on by we the public, will then get ONE official vote for induction. There are 600+ other persons who vote, and collectively we're just ONE vote. Even a "landslide" of votes from the Rush community won't make much impact.

QUOTE (Khan @ Oct 4 2012, 08:45 AM)
Yeah, you watch...now eeeeverybody will all of a sudden jump back on the bandwagon and magically stop bitching about what a joke the RRHOF is.

I've always felt that the RRHOF was a joke. I've also always felt that Rush should be inducted. These are not mutually exclusive positions.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Oct 4 2012, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Oct 4 2012, 08:45 AM)

I've always felt that the RRHOF was a joke. I've also always felt that Rush should be inducted. These are not mutually exclusive positions.

I agree with this. The HOF is a joke, but it is also great to see Rush get recognized.