Working Man Live

Thunder Bay Rush

I'm probably going have some people planning a trip to Thunder Bay, Ontario so you can throw me into the campfire but - I don't like ANY live version of Working Man, especially this reggae nonsense.

First, it seems that they always play it too slow. And, I don't like Neil's choppy drum beats as oposed to the original straight up beat that Rutsey laid down.

The original version is such a great rockin' tune... but, live, I could do without it.

I can do without it to. But if they are gonna play it live they need to drop the stupid reggae intro and start the song off properly with that riff. I know the band is just goofing around with the song, but when you got a cool riff like that you f*ckin play the damn song proper.

Agree with those that would prefer the real version rather than the Bob Marley version. To me, it is the song that many of us first heard from them and "broke" them wide(TSOR may have gotten them AM radio play but it was the beginning of the end for some fans). I think dropping it would be like the Beach Boys deciding not to play "California Girls." Way too much history.

I was mildly amused by the tropical feel they gave it last tour. Not interested in hearing that way again. Do love the song though. The solo Alex did at WPB stop of TMT was nothing short of amazing. The crowd was electric!

first the reggae version has been around for a long long time.

i love it for several reasons but in particular its nice for them to mix it up. there are many other rush songs with reggae influences in them.

complaining about how rush plays working man live is twice as lame as complaining about the set list......... cool10.gif

I wouldn't be heartbroken without it, but I think it works great live because it gives them all a big stretch of time to just go crazy and play, and I would always want at least one instance of that in a concert. The performance on the Time Machine DVD is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen, so I'm grateful for that. I'm not in love with the reggae part, but it doesn't bother me because I just see it as a prelude to the main attraction of the song.

Yes, I agree, but they play the song way too slow... the album version is more up tempo. The guitar solos on there are hard to beat...

Alex's live solos are wild, but the studio version solos are tighter than a frog's ass. And, a frog's ass is pretty tight.

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 13 2012, 06:25 PM)
I'm probably going have some people planning a trip to Thunder Bay, Ontario so you can throw me into the campfire but - I don't like ANY live version of Working Man, especially this reggae nonsense.

First, it seems that they always play it too slow. And, I don't like Neil's choppy drum beats as oposed to the original straight up beat that Rutsey laid down.

The original version is such a great rockin' tune... but, live, I could do without it.

I burned out on working man back on the ATWAS recording, in '79. What I especially didnt like about this live song was Neil ridiculously overplaying it. I felt like it was his way of asserting his position in Rush. It seemed very disrespectful, imo.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 13 2012, 10:57 PM)

First, it seems that they always play it too slow.  And, I don't like Neil's choppy drum beats as oposed to the original straight up beat that Rutsey laid down. 

I burned out on working man back on the ATWAS recording, in '79. What I especially didnt like about this live song was Neil ridiculously overplaying it. I felt like it was his way of asserting his position in Rush. It seemed very disrespectful, imo.

I like that he's gone to playing it straight. The overplaying detracts from the great riffs.

I enjoy it live. A great jam. 1022.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 13 2012, 10:57 PM)

First, it seems that they always play it too slow.  And, I don't like Neil's choppy drum beats as oposed to the original straight up beat that Rutsey laid down. 

I'm not a big fan of the reggae part.

And as far as overplaying it goes, the Different Stages Odeon version is the king of that. There's that one part where it sounds like he bites off more than he can chew.

Alex kills on the end so they can play it all they want as long as they don't change that.

I have always thought- and sometimes said this on trf in the past- that Neil kills Working Man with mad overplaying.

Sometimes less is more, and Rutsey had it right.

Also, the reggae version- while funny ONCE- just makes a mockery of one of RUSH's best early songs IMO.

What would be next? The rap version of Hemispheres?

YO! 'Dey turned and said to ME (me, me, me..)

We be callin' you CYGNUS, the God of BITCHES you shall BE!! (be, be, be..)

Its a jam live, but it was the one song on the setlist that made me thing " Oh no not this once again." This slot would have been better filled with Xanadu or Natural Science on this tour. Now if I had to pick a version of the song I would prefer live it would be the non-reggae version. I just can't swallow that Reggae version.

062802puke_prv.gif

A swap out for BB&B from Fly By Night would be KILLER!*

*As long as it's not the 'smooth jazz' version

I wouldn't shed a tear if they dropped it. Burned out on seeing it live and the reggae thing has gotten old. I dunno, bring back the pirate motif they had going a couple tours ago and do a swashbuckling version of it, lol. "Avast, they be callin' me the pirate man, I guess that's what I be, me hearties!"

And yeah it's funny about how Neil completely overplayed it. That's always kinda bothered me a little. Even back decades ago when I was more of a drooling fanboi who thought Rush could do no wrong when I first got ATWAS and heard the version of WM on it, I was like "hmm maybe that's a little much." It's like he's just shoehorning in a drum solo over some guitar riffs hehe.