Top 10 Underrated Rush Songs

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 28 2012, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 28 2012, 07:08 AM)
1. Before and After
2. The Necromancer
3. Lessons
4. A Farewell to Kings
5. The Enemy Within (Afterimage is better, but is given lots of fan love)
6. Presto (Could have gone with the much-maligned Superconductor here)
7. Ghost of a Chance (maybe a stretch to call it underrated, but the whole album is underrated.
8. Virtuality (so much hate for a good song - and the lyrics hold up much better over time than critics claim)
9. Ghost Rider (and much of the album)
10. Tai Shan

I considered listing A Farewell To Kings, but I think the song is pretty universally highly regarded. It probably could get a bit more praise as it's one of their very best.

I always thought of it as the second best song on the album, but the band hasn't played it live since the late 70s, and it seems that most people like CTTH, Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 more than it, so I included it. But you're right that it is probably a borderline call.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 28 2012, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 28 2012, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 28 2012, 07:08 AM)
1. Before and After
2. The Necromancer
3. Lessons
4. A Farewell to Kings
7. Ghost of a Chance (maybe a stretch to call it underrated, but the whole album is underrated.
8. Virtuality (so much hate for a good song - and the lyrics hold up much better over time than critics claim)
10. Tai Shan

I considered listing A Farewell To Kings, but I think the song is pretty universally highly regarded. It probably could get a bit more praise as it's one of their very best.

I always thought of it as the second best song on the album, but the band hasn't played it live since the late 70s, and it seems that most people like CTTH, Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 more than it, so I included it. But you're right that it is probably a borderline call.

Well, Xanadu is like their best song ever, so it's obviously the 2nd best song on the album, but still it's one of their very best ever. Xanadu and CTTH get a lot more credit than AFTK gets.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 28 2012, 09:07 AM)
Available Light

I think this song is vastly overrated personally. I never got what the big deal was. I mean it's a decent song - some parts are better than others . Maybe if I wasn't so put off by Geddy's use of falsetto (why on earth would Geddy Lee EVER need to go falsetto), I might like it a tad more. It's not the song killer that the rap section in RTB is, or the narration in The Necromancer is, but it's a real turn off.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Aug 28 2012, 06:00 AM)
Leave That Thing Alone
The Color of Right
Chemistry
Secret Touch
The Necromancer
Countdown
Lock and Key
Circumstances
Afterimage
Best I Can

Honorable Mentions: Face Up, Alien Shore, Armor and Sword

Leave That Thing Alone --> yes, hypnotizing and dat bass solo at the end is amazing

Chemistry --> geeky lyrics always make this one underrated

Secret Touch --> not really, most people cite it as a VT favorite

The Necromancer --> yes. people make too big a deal over the narration

Countdown --> yes. it's very atmospheric

Lock and Key --> yes. it's better than half of the songs on HYF

Circumstances --> no. this song gets the credit it deserves

Afterimage --> not really underrated

Best I Can --> not really underrated, it's a classic of early Rush

your honorable mention --> YES

QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 28 2012, 08:52 AM)
There are a lot of songs that could go on this list

1. Here Again Really does not get started until around 3:30. Great solo. The ABC1974 version is the best.
2. Before and After
3. Lessons
4. Color of Right
5. Peaceable Kingdom My favorite song on this list
6. Vapor Trails My really favorite song on this list
7. How It Is
8. Freeze
9. Working them Angels
10. Halo Effect. It seems to end up on the bottom of a lot of CA lists

1. Here Again Really does not get started until around 3:30. Great solo. The ABC1974 version is the best. --> yes

2. Before and After --> whole s/t album ins underrated

3. Lessons --> yes, a lot of stuff off FBN is underrated for some reason

5. Peaceable Kingdom My favorite song on this list -->yes, it mixes melody and heaviness, maybe the mix is the reason it is underrated

6. Vapor Trails My really favorite song on this list --> no...i think it get it's credit as the title track

7. How It Is --> i disagree, it think it is in the bottom of the VT spectrum compared to the rest of their catalog

8. Freeze -->YES! also my favorite off VT

9. Working them Angels --> i have to disagree, it is kinda static aside from the drum fill at the end of the solo section

10. Halo Effect. It seems to end up on the bottom of a lot of CA lists -->that is because it is on an album containing mostly amazing material

In no particular order:

Time & Motion

Freeze

The Necromancer (on almost everyones list for good reason)

Secret Touch

In the End

Countdown

The Body Electric

Show Don't Tell

Peaceable Kingdom

We Hold On

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 28 2012, 09:08 AM)
1. Before and After
2. The Necromancer
3. Lessons
4. A Farewell to Kings
10. Tai Shan

1. Before and After --> yes

2. The Necromancer --> yes

3. Lessons --> yes

4. A Farewell to Kings --> i don't think that is underrated

5. The Enemy Within (Afterimage is better, but is given lots of fan love) --> yeah, it is funky.

6. Presto (Could have gone with the much-maligned Superconductor here) -->Superconductor is the more underrated one, strange how i would rather listen to it than Presto

7. Ghost of a Chance (maybe a stretch to call it underrated, but the whole album is underrated. -->agree about the entire album, but that song is not underrated, i personally dislike it though

8. Virtuality (so much hate for a good song - and the lyrics hold up much better over time than critics claim) --> maybe, but it is still cheesy

9. Ghost Rider (and much of the album) --> true

10. Tai Shan --> WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING? THIS SONG SOUNDS LIKE IT CAME FROM A BAND ON IT'S PERIOD LOL

QUOTE (Na na na @ Aug 28 2012, 09:57 AM)
Kid Gloves
Open Secrets
Chain Lightning
Before And After
The Way The Wind Blows
Totem
Dog Years
Carve Away The Stone
Peaceable Kingdom
Freeze

Kid Gloves --> big YES

Open Secrets --> huge YES

Chain Lightning -> yes

Before And After -> yes

The Way The Wind Blows --> yes, but it deserves to be underrated, nothing special

Totem --> yes, one of few good songs on T4E

Dog Years --> yes, but deserves to be underrated

Carve Away The Stone ->> yes

Peaceable Kingdom --> yes, but people one here rate it pretty well

Freeze --> YES

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 28 2012, 02:23 PM)

1. Here Again  Really does not get started until around 3:30. Great solo.  The ABC1974 version is the best. 
2. Before and After 
3. Lessons 
4. Color of Right 
5. Peaceable Kingdom  My favorite song on this list
6. Vapor Trails  My really favorite song on this list
7. How It Is
8. Freeze
9. Working them Angels

1. Here Again Really does not get started until around 3:30. Great solo. The ABC1974 version is the best. --> yes

5. Peaceable Kingdom My favorite song on this list -->yes, it mixes melody and heaviness, maybe the mix is the reason it is underrated

6. Vapor Trails My really favorite song on this list --> no...i think it get it's credit as the title track

7. How It Is --> i disagree, it think it is in the bottom of the VT spectrum compared to the rest of their catalog

9. Working them Angels --> i have to disagree, it is kinda static aside from the drum fill at the end of the solo section

10. Halo Effect. It seems to end up on the bottom of a lot of CA lists -->that is because it is on an album containing mostly amazing material

laugh.gif

What does that have to do with "Lessons"?

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 28 2012, 01:23 PM)

1. Here Again  Really does not get started until around 3:30. Great solo.  The ABC1974 version is the best. 
2. Before and After 
3. Lessons 
4. Color of Right 
5. Peaceable Kingdom  My favorite song on this list
6. Vapor Trails  My really favorite song on this list
7. How It Is
8. Freeze
9. Working them Angels

Great comments! Am getting the big picture that Working Them Angels is in fact NOT overrated. BigAlFan's link to a YouTube video with over 500,000 hits with WTA as the soundtrack ohmy.gif

I did not use The Necromancer and TFOL first time around, because they are on a lot of peoples "most favorite list"....BUT....if they are allowed on anyones list they are damn well going on mine 1287.gif Will take off WTA and Halo Effect, cause it really has not even been out long enough to be underrated!

New list!

1. Here Again Really does not get started until around 3:30. Great solo. The ABC1974 version is the best.

2. Before and After

3. The Necromancer Frequently my favorite song period.

4. TFOL. Frequently my favorite song period.

5. Lessons. From 2112 "Memories.... flashing very quickly buyyi, Reminding me, and giving me a reason whyyii..."

6. Color of Right (so underrated no one remembers it!)

7. Peaceable Kingdom

8. Vapor Trails. They did not play it live yet, so still underrated.

9. How It Is. Melodic, great lyrics, stays stuck in my head.

10. Freeze. Nocturne is great also.

Actually, any song from VT could be on the list because VT is just underrated period.

QUOTE (LocalsBandGuy @ Aug 28 2012, 03:15 PM)
1. Here Again
2. Making Memories
3. Lessons
4. Cinderella Man
5. Digital Man
6. Kid Gloves
7. Second Nature
8. Chain Lightning
9. Cut To The Chase
10. Totem

yes.gif Cinderella Man sometimes doesn't get the love it deserves. Same with Alien Shore.

QUOTE (Todem @ Aug 28 2012, 10:07 AM)
In no particular order.

1) Turn The Page

2) Cold Fire

3) Nocturne

4) Tears

5) Mystic Rhythms

6) Available Light

7) Chemistry

8) Kid Gloves

9) Totem

10) Bravest Face

1) Turn The Page ->>big YES!

2) Cold Fire --> not really underrated by me or my friends

3) Nocturne --> the mix makes it underrated

4) Tears --> one of the more uncharacteristic Rush songs

5) Mystic Rhythms --> not really underrated

6) Available Light --> maybe, for some people it is underrated

7) Chemistry --> top tier of signals, so yeah underrated

8) Kid Gloves --> SUPREMELY underrated

9) Totem ->> on eof the better songs in T4E

10) Bravest Face --> this is underrated for a reason, imo it suffers from some poor songwriting decisions

in chronological order:

1. In The End

2. Necromancer: part 2, Under the Shadow (parts 1 and 3, starring Gimli - using his witness protection voice - are OK. However, the guitar work in the middle section is killer.)

3. FoL: Panacea

4. FoL: The Fountain

5. Tears - love the mellotron!

6. Red Sector A - gets a lot of love, but not enough

7. Anagram - love the piano!

8. Ghost of a Chance - has my favorite Rush lyrics

9. Between Sun & Moon

10. Sweet Miracle

Edited by sitboaf

1. New World Man

2. Lakeside Park

3. Chemistry

4. Entre Nous

5. Best I Can

6. I Think I'm Going Bald

7. Presto

8. Witch Hunt

9. Circumstances

10. One Little Victory

Ok, in no particular order, and I'm thinking of them as I go:

-Everyday Glory (got to be my favourite album closer! What a fantastic song! Geddy's voice is amazing in this)

-Lessons (good groove, good transitions from jaunty acoustic to strident electric [right, Animate? tongue.gif ])

-High Water (why do many people toss this one aside? It's nicely atmospheric and relaxing)

-Here Again (love the slow groove to this, and Geddy sounds good singing this)

-Virtuality (the lyrics sound a bit out-dated, but are apt, and this song has a nice riff)

-Totem (probably my favourite from Test for Echo right now - the whole thing is just plain good to listen to!)

-The Necromancer (seems like you either love it or don't know it well enough to love it! tongue.gif Not such a big fan of the narration, but apart this song just kicks ass!)

-Vapor Trails (yes, I'm cheating here - I'm picking an entire album, because it's so often maligned and I think it deserves better! Particulary tracks like 'Peaceable Kingdom', 'How It Is', and 'Freeze'! wub.gif )

-Scars (what an awesome groove! I would love to have this song as an instrumental, and I would play it looped until I got sick of it! Love how the snare (hope that's the right drum) only pops up during the "I get this feeling" part!)

-Red Lenses (again, great drums in this one. Not so hot on the vocals, but they actually help the drums stand out more!)

Best I Can

Making Memories

The Necromancer

Lessons

Something for Nothing

Cinderella Man

The Enemy Within

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

While I think The Enemy Within is fairly well received, in discussions of songs from that era or even that album, I see it is often overshadowed by other songs and not recognized for being as great as it is.

Edited by Shreddy Lee