Top 10 Underrated Rush Songs

rushgoober

What are your top 10 Rush songs that don't get anywhere near the credit you think they deserve?

1. Lakeside Park

2. Armor & Sword

3. Nobody's Hero

4. Territories

5. Prime Mover

6. Afterimage

7. Between the Wheels

8. Here Again

9. Making Memories

10. Tears

Honorable Mentions: Workin' Them Angels, Chain Lightning

Numbers 2, 3 and 7 are very, very overrated. It seems that everyone loves them except me. Between the wheels was, for a long time, the only Rush studio track in my iTunes to get only 2 stars. Yet, it is trotted out for tour and everyone loves it. So, I guess I'm wrong smile.gif

There are a lot of songs that could go on this list

1. Here Again Really does not get started until around 3:30. Great solo. The ABC1974 version is the best.

2. Before and After

3. Lessons

4. Color of Right

5. Peaceable Kingdom My favorite song on this list

6. Vapor Trails My really favorite song on this list

7. How It Is

8. Freeze

9. Working them Angels

10. Halo Effect. It seems to end up on the bottom of a lot of CA lists

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 28 2012, 08:47 AM)
Numbers 2, 3 and 7 are very, very overrated. It seems that everyone loves them except me. Between the wheels was, for a long time, the only Rush studio track in my iTunes to get only 2 stars. Yet, it is trotted out for tour and everyone loves it. So, I guess I'm wrong smile.gif

While I agree that Between the Wheels is not underrated, it deserves the love.

QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 28 2012, 08:52 AM)

1. Here Again Really does not get started until around 3:30. Great solo. The ABC1974 version is the best.
2. Before and After
3. Lessons
4. Color of Right
5. Peaceable Kingdom My favorite song on this list
6. Vapor Trails My really favorite song on this list
7. How It Is
8. Freeze
9. Working them Angels

Working Them Angels gets tons and tons of love. Again, way too much in my opinion.

It is interesting to see how many songs I think are "overrated" on others' "underrated" lists.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 28 2012, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 28 2012, 08:52 AM)

1. Here Again  Really does not get started until around 3:30. Great solo.  The ABC1974 version is the best. 
2. Before and After 
3. Lessons 
4. Color of Right 
5. Peaceable Kingdom  My favorite song on this list
6. Vapor Trails  My really favorite song on this list
7. How It Is
8. Freeze
9. Working them Angels

Working Them Angels gets tons and tons of love. Again, way too much in my opinion.

It is interesting to see how many songs I think are "overrated" on others' "underrated" lists.

Well, if I had to substitute out Working Them Angels (for not really being underrated), I would replace it with Nocturne.

1. Before and After

2. The Necromancer

3. Lessons

4. A Farewell to Kings

5. The Enemy Within (Afterimage is better, but is given lots of fan love)

6. Presto (Could have gone with the much-maligned Superconductor here)

7. Ghost of a Chance (maybe a stretch to call it underrated, but the whole album is underrated.

8. Virtuality (so much hate for a good song - and the lyrics hold up much better over time than critics claim)

9. Ghost Rider (and much of the album)

10. Tai Shan

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 28 2012, 09:08 AM)
1. Before and After
2. The Necromancer
3. Lessons
4. A Farewell to Kings
7. Ghost of a Chance (maybe a stretch to call it underrated, but the whole album is underrated.
8. Virtuality (so much hate for a good song - and the lyrics hold up much better over time than critics claim)
10. Tai Shan

I do love The Necromancer, and TFOL. But while there are a lot of haters, there are a lot who place one of these as their top song.

Agree in part about Virtuality, the music is pretty damn good. But the whole "Net Boy, Net Girl" chorus- just can't quite choke it down. comp26.gif Neil Neil Neil no.gif Sadly, Geddy sounds to clear to ignore- you can just understand the lyrics too too well.

QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 28 2012, 09:22 AM)
1. Before and After
2. The Necromancer
3. Lessons
4. A Farewell to Kings
10. Tai Shan

I do love The Necromancer, and TFOL. But while there are a lot of haters, there are a lot who place one of these as their top song.

Agree in part about Virtuality, the music is pretty damn good. But the whole "Net Boy, Net Girl" chorus- just can't quite choke it down. comp26.gif Neil Neil Neil no.gif Sadly, Geddy sounds to clear to ignore- you can just understand the lyrics too too well.

I never liked the "Net boy, net girl" words, but I like all the other lyrics. And I think they resonant more strongly now than they did in 1996.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 28 2012, 09:27 AM)
1. Before and After
2. The Necromancer
3. Lessons
4. A Farewell to Kings
10. Tai Shan

I never liked the "Net boy, net girl" words, but I like all the other lyrics. And I think they resonant more strongly now than they did in 1996.

Yes, a seriously prophetic theme to a song, way more relevant now than in 1996 (when it was all AOL and slow dial up modems)

So, great music, very relevant subject matter, great and clear vocals. Just killed by hopelessly dorky chorus lyrics.

QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 28 2012, 09:33 AM)
1. Before and After
2. The Necromancer
3. Lessons
4. A Farewell to Kings
10. Tai Shan

Yes, a seriously prophetic theme to a song, way more relevant now than in 1996 (when it was all AOL and slow dial up modems)

So, great music, very relevant subject matter, great and clear vocals. Just killed by hopelessly dorky chorus lyrics.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 28 2012, 09:44 AM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Aug 28 2012, 09:33 AM)
1. Before and After
2. The Necromancer
3. Lessons
4. A Farewell to Kings
10. Tai Shan

laugh.gif

laugh.gif "Net Boy" comp26.gif comp26.gif comp26.gif

In no particular order.

1) Turn The Page

2) Cold Fire

3) Nocturne

4) Tears

5) Mystic Rhythms

6) Available Light

7) Chemistry

8) Kid Gloves

9) Totem

10) Bravest Face

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 28 2012, 05:35 AM)
What are your top 10 Rush songs that don't get anywhere near the credit you think they deserve?

1. Lakeside Park
2. Armor & Sword
3. Nobody's Hero
4. Territories
5. Prime Mover
6. Afterimage
7. Between the Wheels
8. Here Again
9. Making Memories
10. Tears

1. Lakeside Park --> some overrate, some underrate...it's average

2. Armor & Sword --> yes. the lyrics are haunting and not given enough credit

3. Nobody's Hero --> meh. kinda melodramatic for Rush

4. Territories --> yes. maybe the best song on a soft Power Windows

5. Prime Mover --> moments of good, moments of bad. the lyrics are easy to criticize, and they are criticized by some. overall uninspired music for an 80s science film. the end drumbeat is cool though

6. Afterimage --> this is an oft cited favorite on GUP, so i don't think it is overrated

7. Between the Wheels --> dat solo

8. Here Again --> the entire first album is underrated

9. Making Memories --> i love this song. most people start giving Rush a lot of credit around FBN

10. Tears --> it's got some melodrama. offset by some melotron. not really the best from an amazing 2112

In order of release:

No One at the Bridge

Cinderella Man

Entre Nous

Emotion Detector

Prime Mover

Chain Lightning

Available Light

Between Sun and Moon

Totem

Ceiling Unlimited

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 28 2012, 07:08 AM)
1. Before and After
2. The Necromancer
3. Lessons
4. A Farewell to Kings
10. Tai Shan

I considered listing A Farewell To Kings, but I think the song is pretty universally highly regarded. It probably could get a bit more praise as it's one of their very best.

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Aug 28 2012, 07:30 AM)
1. The Necromancer
2. Fountain of Lamneth
3. Losing It
4. Second Nature
5. Different Strings
6. Anagram.
7. Tears
8. Heresy
9. Emotion Detector
10. Afterimage

Mick

I should have put Fountain on my list now that I think about it. It does get a fair bit of credit, but not as much as it deserves. It's not quite at the level of 2112 and Hemispheres, but too many people rate it a bit too low.

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 28 2012, 08:08 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 28 2012, 05:35 AM)

1. Lakeside Park
2. Armor & Sword
3. Nobody's Hero
4. Territories
5. Prime Mover
6. Afterimage
7. Between the Wheels
8. Here Again
9. Making Memories
10. Tears

1. Lakeside Park --> some overrate, some underrate...it's average

3. Nobody's Hero --> meh. kinda melodramatic for Rush

5. Prime Mover --> moments of good, moments of bad. the lyrics are easy to criticize, and they are criticized by some. overall uninspired music for an 80s science film. the end drumbeat is cool though

10. Tears --> it's got some melodrama. offset by some melotron. not really the best from an amazing 2112

You just proved why these songs are underrated. All are classics, but rarely thought of that way. I really can't understand how Lakeside Park can ever be considered average. It should have been a massive, massive 70's hit - it's straightforward, catchy, and beautifully captures a universally relatable theme of innocence and nostalgia. confused13.gif

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Aug 28 2012, 09:54 AM)
Red Lenses

Great choice. yes.gif

Red Lenses and Kid Gloves were the two songs on GUP that I didn't jibe with immediately - both songs took me awhile, but now I think Red Lenses is a really great song. They definitely took a risk lyrically with that song with such an unconventional structure, but it's really cool, and deceptively simple. I only wish all their artistically risky songs were pulled off as successfully, and it made a cool and interesting place to insert a drum solo live!