Top 10 Underrated Rush Songs

rushgoober

Freeze has been on my radar a lot lately, Really, for those VT-haters, just look at these lyrics, some of Neil's most insightful and most raw:

The city crouches, steaming

In the early morning half-light

The sun is still a rumor

And the night is still a threat

Slipping through the dark streets

And the echoes and the shadows

Something stirs behind me

And my palms begin to sweat

Sometimes I freeze - until the light comes

Sometimes I fly - into the night

Sometimes I fight - against the darkness

Sometimes I'm wrong - sometimes I'm right

Coiled for the spring

Or caught like a creature in the headlights

Into a desperate panic

Or a tempest of blind fury

Like a cornered beast

Or a conquering hero

The menace threatens, closing

And I'm frozen in the shadows

I'm not prepared to run away

And I'm not prepared to fight

I can stand to reason

Or surrender to a reflex

I will trust my instincts

Or surrender to my fright

Sometimes we freeze - until the light comes

Sometimes we're wrong - and sometimes we're right

Sometimes we fight - against the darkness

Sometimes we fly - into the night

Blood running cold

Mind going down into a dark night

Of a desperate panic

Like a cornered beast

Or a conquering hero

Sometimes I freeze

Sometimes I fight

Sometimes I fly

Into the night

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Oct 10 2012, 12:09 AM)
Madrigal.

If you think you don't like it try listening to it while playing the original Legend of Zelda on NES. It'll change your mind.

I did this around 2 weeks ago with Ocarina of time and thought the same thing

QUOTE (Animate @ Oct 14 2012, 08:04 AM)
Freeze has been on my radar a lot lately, Really, for those VT-haters, just look at these lyrics, some of Neil's most insightful and most raw:

The city crouches, steaming
In the early morning half-light
The sun is still a rumor
And the night is still a threat
Slipping through the dark streets
And the echoes and the shadows
Something stirs behind me
And my palms begin to sweat

Sometimes I freeze - until the light comes
Sometimes I fly - into the night
Sometimes I fight - against the darkness
Sometimes I'm wrong - sometimes I'm right

Coiled for the spring
Or caught like a creature in the headlights
Into a desperate panic
Like a cornered beast
Or a conquering hero

The menace threatens, closing
And I'm frozen in the shadows
I'm not prepared to run away
And I'm not prepared to fight

I can stand to reason
Or surrender to a reflex
I will trust my instincts
Or surrender to my fright

Sometimes we freeze - until the light comes
Sometimes we're wrong - and sometimes we're right
Sometimes we fight - against the darkness
Sometimes we fly - into the night

Blood running cold
Mind going down into a dark night
Of a desperate panic
Like a cornered beast
Or a conquering hero

Sometimes I freeze
Sometimes I fight
Sometimes I fly
Into the night

Thank you for sharing your 'Freeze' love! Good to know I'm not the only one that actually likes Vapor Trails around here! wink.gif

I really got into this song a year ago - it's just so awesome, with a raw, rather unsettling groove, and some great singing from Geddy. And, of course, good lyrics. wub.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Oct 14 2012, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Oct 14 2012, 08:04 AM)
Freeze has been on my radar a lot lately,  Really, for those VT-haters, just look at these lyrics, some of Neil's most insightful and most raw:
*snip*

Thank you for sharing your 'Freeze' love! Good to know I'm not the only one that actually likes Vapor Trails around here! wink.gif

I really got into this song a year ago - it's just so awesome, with a raw, rather unsettling groove, and some great singing from Geddy. And, of course, good lyrics. wub.gif

Thank you!

Finding out that VT is the subject of so much scorn by a lot of fans was the biggest surprise in joining TRF.

I love Vapor Trails, and especially Freeze!

"I'm not prepared to run away...

And I'm not prepared to fight"

"Or a tempest of blind fury,

Like a cornered beast,

Or a conquering hero"

And the driving groove of the song- just brilliant!

I've always thought Between Sun And Moon deserved more love both on radio and in concert. To me, it's one of the last studio songs (Feedback doesn't count) where it sounds like they're really letting loose and having fun.

It should've stayed in the setlist.

QUOTE (av450 @ Oct 14 2012, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Oct 10 2012, 12:09 AM)
Madrigal.

If you think you don't like it try listening to it while playing the original Legend of Zelda on NES. It'll change your mind.

I did this around 2 weeks ago with Ocarina of time and thought the same thing

Ocarina of Time! Very cool! Madrigal is such a great song. So out of character for Rush, and that's exactly why I like it.

QUOTE (Animate @ Oct 16 2012, 03:02 PM)
Finding out that VT is the subject of so much scorn by a lot of fans was the biggest surprise in joining TRF.

My biggest surprise by FAR when I joined TRF was that anyone liked what to me has always been the absolute clusterf*ck disaster that is VT. I still don't get it. no.gif confused13.gif wacko.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 16 2012, 07:51 PM)

My biggest surprise by FAR when I joined TRF was that anyone liked what to me has always been the absolute clusterf*ck disaster that is VT. I still don't get it. no.gif confused13.gif wacko.gif

ohmy.gif Rushgoober.. I.. I.. never knew! You've kept your true VT feelings to yourself so well!

QUOTE (Animate @ Oct 16 2012, 06:05 PM)

ohmy.gif Rushgoober.. I.. I.. never knew! You've kept your true VT feelings to yourself so well!

Cute response, and funny, but the album is still an embarrassment to their legacy. All I can say is thank God for Snakes and Arrows, and especially for Clockwork Angels, so we can move on from that unfortunate chapter in Rush history...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 16 2012, 08:40 PM)

Cute response, and funny, but the album is still an embarrassment to their legacy. All I can say is thank God for Snakes and Arrows, and especially for Clockwork Angels, so we can move on from that unfortunate chapter in Rush history...

The official music videos to Mystic Rhythms, Time Stand Still and Superconductor are embarrassments to the legacy of Rush.

VT, on the other hand, is a brilliant album.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 16 2012, 09:40 PM)

eyesre4.gif

Vapor Trails rocks! 1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

smile.gif

And whoever said Madrigal... goodpost.gif Great song biggrin.gif

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (Animate @ Oct 16 2012, 07:21 PM)

yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 16 2012, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 16 2012, 09:40 PM)

eyesre4.gif

Vapor Trails rocks! 1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

smile.gif

And whoever said Madrigal... goodpost.gif Great song biggrin.gif

yes.gif

yes.gif to Madrigal also!

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Oct 16 2012, 09:27 PM)

yes.gif trink39.gif

Nice to see some VT appreciation! trink39.gif

Your loss!

moon.gif

And, of course... trink39.gif

QUOTE (Animate @ Oct 16 2012, 09:33 PM)

yes.gif trink39.gif

VT has some of Neil's best lyrics, period. None of the usual pontifications, just raw, human emotion. The anxst-ridden music fits perfectly, as does the raw production.

Love it! 1022.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Oct 16 2012, 08:29 PM)

yes.gif trink39.gif

VT has some of Neil's best lyrics, period. None of the usual pontifications, just raw, human emotion. The anxst-ridden music fits perfectly, as does the raw production.

Love it! 1022.gif

yes.gif

It's a perfect reflection of the emotional state the band was in at the time.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Oct 16 2012, 09:00 PM)

yes.gif trink39.gif

Love it! 1022.gif

yes.gif

True. They had just gone through horrible tragedy, which is what the album was.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 17 2012, 08:46 AM)

yes.gif trink39.gif

Love it! 1022.gif

yes.gif

laugh.gif Just when the Admins were considering a new member title for you, you done gone and had it renewed for another year. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 17 2012, 08:46 AM)

yes.gif trink39.gif

Love it! 1022.gif

yes.gif

angry.gif

( rofl3.gif brilliant!)

It seems to me you're the one of the few who feels the need to have to move on...we hardly look upon it as anything to be embarrassed about thoroughly enjoying. wink.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Oct 16 2012, 10:29 PM)

yes.gif trink39.gif

Love it! 1022.gif

yes.gif It's the return of the spirit of 2.gif

I'll certainly be endlessly rocking out to it! 1022.gif