Fly By Night (the song)

Powderfinger

I've always loved this tune, but no one ever mentions it. Is it not hip to dig Fly By Night? If loving Fly By Night is wrong, I don't want to be right. This was one of the first songs I fell in love with as a young Rush fan.

It's catchy as hell. Great Lifeson solo. Sounds great! I wouldn't at all mind if they dusted this off for the live set.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 2 2012, 05:51 PM)
Yes...Great song...but you were right my cool cat...nobody here digs it 'cuz it just ain't hip....Now gimme some skin. (but none of that infected shit that The Thing brought from space)

trink39.gif

(ALERT: Nerdy The Thing reference ahead!)

In lieu of a high-five perhaps we can just share a bottle of J&B...

But seriously, why is it not cool to like Fly By Night? Does it not contain one of Lifeson's ten most iconic riffs?

Rush hipsters be damned!!! Ever since that damn documentary the world of Rush has been overrun with hipsters... !

Edited by Powderfinger

Love the song and the album that bears its name. No issue here.

hug2.gif Fly By Night hug2.gif

trink39.gif

Gets a ton of radio airplay. One of the more recognizable Rush songs.

It's a good question why it never became a concert staple like all the others...in fact when is the last time they even played it?

But the time has come and gone to play it....ain't no way Geddy is coming anywhere near those high notes these days

All I know is that there are a few defining RUSH song openings: Spirit or Radio, Tom Sawyer, Freewill, Limelight but Fly by Night was THE FIRST!

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 2 2012, 06:47 PM)
Gets a ton of radio airplay. One of the more recognizable Rush songs.

It's a good question why it never became a concert staple like all the others...in fact when is the last time they even played it?

But the time has come and gone to play it....ain't no way Geddy is coming anywhere near those high notes these days

I was considering whether or not he can even sing it at this point. But they have played old material like Working Man and By-Tor in recent years. Even 2112 and Closer to the Heart, for example, are way up there. But your point is taken.

Apparently Neil doesn't like it, hates to play it. This irks me because I love the song. It's catchy, universally recognized and short. It belongs in the setlist.

I'll add some love to 'Fly By Night'! It's short, catchy, and a good example of early Rush. I love Geddy's bass line during the "I know why" part, and Neil's drum work. Man, he does a lot of drum-hitting during this song. And the video they made for it - love seeing Geddy's wild hair getting tossed around! wub.gif

It would be nice to have this brought back on tour - even as an instrumental, even in a medley. Good tune.

did they even play this on the R30 INTRO MEDLEY?...kinda weird because

it's on the radio all the time here in Rochester N.Y....great classic song,

just taught it to a student,of mine...kid is like 14,and was pumped about

learning it... 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Aug 3 2012, 03:55 AM)
and Neil's drum work. Man, he does a lot of drum-hitting during this song.

It's the first appearance of Neil's signature toms run. They should bring it back!

yes.gif

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Aug 2 2012, 05:46 PM)
I've always loved this tune, but no one ever mentions it. Is it not hip to dig Fly By Night? If loving Fly By Night is wrong, I don't want to be right. This was one of the first songs I fell in love with as a young Rush fan.

It's catchy as hell. Great Lifeson solo. Sounds great! I wouldn't at all mind if they dusted this off for the live set.

It does have a great Lifeson solo which is very melodic, very song within a song. It's so melodic you can whistle it easily...

cool.gif

Great song. Great album. I would love to hear it live.

I just got a boot of them playing this before the release of the album, and the solo and bridge were in different places. Very cool (though I like the album version more).