Clockwork Angels is the best album ever recorded

deslock

Prompted by the praise its getting here, I popped the album on the other day. Couldn't get past the 3rd song/title track. Ranks at the bottom for me - only album Id put this ahead of is Vapor Trails.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

In terms of being an album that can induce listening fatigue, I think I agree. Material-wise, no.

To each his own, carry on.

Not sure whether to have 2112's Soliloquy or that Kansas classic running through my head right now...

Actually, this Carry On is the absolute best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn7y5ShTWWU

• Like 1

Prompted by the praise its getting here, I popped the album on the other day. Couldn't get past the 3rd song/title track. Ranks at the bottom for me - only album Id put this ahead of is Vapor Trails.

In terms of being an album that can induce listening fatigue, I think I agree. Material-wise, no.

Not sure whether to have 2112's Soliloquy or that Kansas classic running through my head right now...

May have to create a "Carry On" playlist...

Great call, Lorraine, with CSN!

• Like 1

May have to create a "Carry On" playlist...

Great call, Lorraine, with CSN!

How ,bout The Hollies-----Carry Ann?

It is certainly not the best album ever recorded, but Clockwork Angels is certainly a masterpiece in my book. I rank it just behind Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves (because those two albums are utterly perfect). If it weren't for BU2B2, CA would be a perfect 10 for me.
  • Like 2

Yep. for the record though, the material, not the production was the problem (for me).

• Like 1

The Garden is a good track but to be honest I can't remember the names of any of the others, it just segues from blandness to blandness all backed up with ear-fatigue inducing brickwalled production.

I never understood the hate for BU2B2 either.....its a segue...interlude...a freaking monologue....that's it....who in their right mind is comparing it to other full songs anyway?.... I just can't understand the bizarre criteria some use to "judge" music like its an olympic scoring table.....
  • Like 1

If it weren't for BU2B2, CA would be a perfect 10 for me.

I don't get it. BU2B2 is inconsequential to the greatness of CA. What's wrong with the interlude? That's exactly what it is.

Sure, it's "just an interlude." And I love the album despite the fact that I dislike that interlude. But if there's going to be a short song acting as an interlude on a record, I'd much rather it be a piece I actually enjoy listening to than something I dislike but excuse on the basis that it's "just an interlude." And if BU2B2 were a track I actually liked, I would indeed enjoy the album more on the whole, even if only slightly.

If it weren't for BU2B2, CA would be a perfect 10 for me.

I don't get it. BU2B2 is inconsequential to the greatness of CA. What's wrong with the interlude? That's exactly what it is.

Sure, it's "just an interlude." And I love the album despite the fact that I dislike that interlude. But if there's going to be a short song acting as an interlude on a record, I'd much rather it be a piece I actually enjoy listening to than something I dislike but excuse on the basis that it's "just an interlude." And if BU2B2 were a track I actually liked, I would indeed enjoy the album more on the whole, even if only slightly.

What's to hate about it?...nada.
  • Like 1

Just dusted off Clockwork Angels yesterday and gave it a listen. I still don't understand it being canonized like it is by so many here on TRF. Way too long as delivered, and a better listen for me when truncated and reordered this way:

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7, The Garden

8. Headlong Flight

Mine would be

1. Clockwork Angels

2. Headlong Flight

3. Caravan

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. The Anarchist

I don't hate BU2B2. It just doesn't feel like a whole song to me, and it interrupts the flow of the album. If it weren't for that, Clockwork Angels may just be the best album ever recorded.

Well, almost. Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves are pretty good, too.

• Like 1

Unless you can work the settings on the stereo like a pro DJ, the sound kinda hurts your ears. But once you have it listenable...Headlong Flight, The Anarchist, and that killer riff from SCOG are enough to put it in MY top 10. Can anyone tell me what is up with this &%^$% underlining crap???
  • Like 1