Fly By Night or Caress Of Steel

rushgoober

Which album do you prefer?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer?

• Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel

The first three tracks from each album I'll call a draw. Between the side one closing epics, By-Tor's great and all but for me doesn't nearly match The Necromancer. The Fountain of Lamneth I consider much stronger than side 2 of FBN. Caress of Steel it is.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the guitar sound alone...COS. Also, I really like the darkness of the album. There are some moments on the album I don't care for, but there are more on FBN for me. I will say that there have been times in the past that I rated COS as my favorite. Not now, but it is in the top 5.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Aug 3 2012, 05:53 PM)
Man, this an easy poll!! FBN by a country mile! Its not even close.

FBN is loaded with good songs. Anthem, Rivendell (yes - you read that right - Rivendell, I like the song), In the End, the wonderful Beneath, Between & Behind, the equally wonderful FBN and the magnificent By-Tor. Even Best that I Can and Making Memories are not totally horrible.

COS? Thankfully it has the wonderful Bastille Day and Lakeside Park. After that it goes way down hill with I think I'am going Bald which I don't really care for and The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth both of which I really don't care for at all.

Totally one side match up (for me anyway).

This is the difference.

Either you love Fountain (and CoS) or you don't and prefer FBN. I find Fountain to be one of their best songs.

Hey Gary!! What's up dude?

Although I think this has done before there is no doubt that it's COS!!

Heck just look at my avatar!

Says it all!! Been raving about COS for years on here.

Underrated perfection.

Mercury was going to dump the band due to lack of album sales?

Typical corporate whorism bullshit.

RUSH RULES!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 6 2012, 01:40 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 5 2012, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Aug 5 2012, 07:49 PM)
For the guitar sound alone...COS.

Alex gets some amazing tone on COS.

goodpost.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yeah, but the playing is about the only reason that I listen to it. I don't hate Caress Of Steel, but it is on the bottom of my Rush album list. That still places it above a lot of stuff by other artists.

Fly By Night is one of my favorites. It shines like a forgotten jewel there in the back catalog. If not for Rivendell I would say that it was the best album Rush could have made at that time. Caress Of Steel? Not so much, it sounds a little sloppy and hash-laden to me.

Where is the love for FBN ?? COS is a very good album but come on people ! 1287.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 8 2012, 02:55 PM)
I've not voted because I've got them even...

trink38.gif

Pick and Vote 1287.gif

QUOTE (Batman @ Jun 19 2005, 03:47 PM)
I had to go with COS I love the Necromancer and The Fountain Of Lamneth plus Bastile Day is a great album opener biggrin.gif

+1

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 8 2012, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 8 2012, 04:33 PM)
Man, this thread has done a lot better in its second incarnation 7 years after I started it! ohmy.gif

Has your opinion changed since then?

trink38.gif

Nope, I feel exactly the same way. The best songs on COS are way better than anything on FBN, but FBN wins because of consistency.

Man, this thread has done a lot better in its second incarnation 7 years after I started it! ohmy.gif

You are welcome biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 8 2012, 03:37 PM)

You are welcome biggrin.gif

I can only imagine how bored you had to have been to go searching for and bumping a 7 year old thread. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 8 2012, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 8 2012, 03:20 PM)

Has your opinion changed since then?

trink38.gif

Nope, I feel exactly the same way. The best songs on COS are way better than anything on FBN, but FBN wins because of consistency.

I always liked FBN better and my opinion hasn't changed over time, though CoS has climbed in my overall ranking of albums during that same time.

Anthem made more of an impact on me as an opening than Bastille Day. My initial reaction to CoS was less than ideal (I like Geddy's comment - I think we were high when we recorded that). I liked Bastille Day, Lakeside Park and I Think I'm Going Bald. The rest was too experimental for my ear. I didn't care for the narrator on The Necromancer. I really liked No One at The Bridge, but it was hard to reach on a cassette. But I always liked the music for The Necromancer and Fountain. I have no issues listening to CoS now and actually really like it.

I do like FBN a little better though for the same reasons. Like goober said, it is a more consistent album. Best I Can, Making Memories, In The End, By-Tor! and of course Fly By Night. I didn't enjoy Rivendell very much. Didn't rock enough.

Still, FBN by a nose.

trink39.gif