Fly By Night or Caress Of Steel

rushgoober

Which album do you prefer?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer?

• Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel

Even though I've had these two Rush albums since the early 80's, I must admit that I hadn't listened to them in years and years. I had always remembered them as really good, but a bit challenging and not nearly as accessible as what came afterwards. Recently, I tried my hand again at Caress of Steel, to find out that I loved it, with the exception of I Think I'm Going Bald and The Necromancer, which I think are ok, but considerably weaker than the other tracks.

It took me a few days to get up the guts to tackle Fly By Night, thinking that this one was going to be even more of a challenge to fathom. To my shock and surprise though, I LOVED it! I even rate it higher than Caress, but it's a tough call. I think that Bastille Day, Lakeside Park and The Fountain of Lamneth are stronger songs than any song on Fly By Night, but I have to give the prize to Fly By Night on consistency alone, as I think every single track is strong. Admittedly, it has a slightly raw early feeling and Geddy could sometimes sing a little more clearly, but I think they really kicked some ass on this album.

I kind of assume that most people prefer Caress, but I'm not really sure, hence the poll. Lemme know what you think!

P.S. - Please only participate in the poll part if you've heard both albums, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caress of Steel gets the vote, but only because the Fountain of Lamneth tips the scale.

Fly By Night gets my vote for the following reasons:

By-Tor and the Snowdog! I cannot express my sheer love for this song!

The only song that i'll skip on FBN is Rivendell, however for CoS I tend to just listen to Bastille Day and the Necromancer.

Anthem just gets better every time I hear it, especially the bass behind the solo cool.gif

Oh and did I mention By-Tor? 1287.gif

It's a very difficult question as both albums are superb, but I'd have to go for COS as they'd clearly been very brave in releasing this album as it is more complex than the others. The Necromancer is a difficult song for many, but it's very dark and moody which, for me, makes it interesting. This album sort of slowly grows on you and just gets better every time you hear it. it's obviously based on a Tolkien style tales in the same way Led Zep used to do some songs.

The fact is Rush's first four albums don't contain a single poor track.

I've gone for Fly By Night here but it was a very tough choice as each album has its plusses and minuses.

FLY BY NIGHT:

For: As has been said, there is great consistency across the album. I like every single one of them (Including Rivendell) but, for me, the standouts have got to be Anthem, By-Tor, Making Memories and In the End. The Geddy and Alex play with the same youthful exuberence as they did on the debut but there is an added maturity about their playing - probably as a result of Neil's influence which permeates the entire release.

Against: This is difficult to put into words. My main problem (and its barely a problem really) is that there is a naivete about the album. If it was like the innocence that surrounded the debut, there wouldn't be a problem. As I said, I can't really put it nto words. Also, at times, the production seems a little too rough and ready for such polished songwriting.

CARESS OF STEEL:

For: Where do I start? Cos has so much going for it. The band's playing shows an added maturity from FBN. They may not have retained the youthful exuberence (although this does come through on Bastille Day), the added skill more than makes up for it - Neil's drumming, in particular, shows a finesse that was lacking on FBN. CoS can, I think, be considered as Rush's most ambitious album (which, for me, leads to its downside but more of that later). Clearly, the band are tighter as a unit and are able to feed off each other.

Against: CoS is, ultimately, overambitious! To my mind, they didn't give themselves enough pre-production time before embarking on such an ambitious project. Furthermore, I don't think they had enough actual studio time to do the material (which is phenomenal) justice. As such, the sound isn't really up to scratch and would have benefited from a week or so more's polish. This results in the album that I think, sonically, has aged poorly although the material holds up. Fianlly, as an afterthought, CoS also features too many overdubs - just try to count the guitars in Return of the Prince.

There you have it, my appraisal of the these two pivotal releases. I'm sure 99.999% of you will disagree so all I'll say is

nasty.gif

i've gone for COS, but this was a very tricky choice, i really like both albums and find it hard to fault either (naive i know). I really like the atmosphere they create over the entire album in COS, which i think only appears sporadically on FBN. that's as well as i could express it, difficult poll!

As much as i like the bright tone and vigor of FBN,COS makes me want to jump up and down with excitement every time i hear it.The Necromancer.........just try to explain that to someone!(Apart from the Lord of the rings set to music)

I just love this album-like a few of Rush's albums this was thought to be their last one(the tour was called "The down the tubes tour" and has such a "come what may" attitude to it that has to be admired for having the guts to do something no-one else would ever contemplate.

And they all sound great on this album-even Big Al.

But that bass sound-My favourite bass guitar album,ever.

Oh yes....Rivendell.....what can i say.........um...........nothing..........sorry! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tom_Sawyer_2004 @ Jun 19 2005, 12:57 AM)
Null vote, I haven't herd the carress od steel album yet. doh.gif fists crying.gif

I'd certainly recommend you get it.

In fact, I'd recommend getting every Rush although I don't listen to ESL very much - I prefer the Exit...Stage Right boot, that's what ESL should have sounded like

I must confess COS is the only Rush album I've nevr owned. I do remember it being not well received, however I also remember the band saying they could never have made 2112 without making COS.

COS - not a patch on FBN but very importand nevertheless... Just my opinion of course.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jun 16 2005, 09:48 AM)
Caress of Steel is my favourite album from Rush. period.

Mine too...I have the vinyl as well. It's really fun to put it on and read along with the lyics because when vinyl-sized they are actually readable unlike the CD.

I decided to take this poll. And now I have 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back - thanks for that.

I voted FBN, but only by a nose.

Actually my hand was hovering over the Caress button. Honest.

But in my corner of the music world, we have a saying:

"The cd player doesn't lie."

In my mind I can make a case for liking CoS a bit more, but the fact is, FBN hasn't left the 6 cd changer in my car for 3 years. And Caress finds it's way in there in a normal rotation.

So I had to go FBN.

Interestingly, I have this same problem with MP and Signals. On paper I like MP more, but Signals get 3 times the play easy.

Weird.

cool.gif

Schro

Fly By Night. Awesome album, awesome song. I like CoS a lot, but since I don't like Fountain of Lamneth I have to go with FBN because it's more full.

These two albums are both classic. The Rush Catalog would not be the same if they wernt in there. But As a Favorite album I would have to go with Caress Of Steel. Its a more adventurious album, and really set the speed for their other side long song, you all know what that is 2112. Just the shere power of the album gets my vote, and even the quarky song I Think Im Going Bald, its just a fun song to listen to, and has that Led Zep feel like the first album has.

Interesting. Only last weekend, I was lawn mowing and hedge clipping, during which I listened to Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel and Hold Your Fire.

FBN is a great album to clip a hedge to - You do it twice as fast as you would otherwise!!.

I've still gone for Caress in the poll, although it may be for personal reasons.

Here's the story.

In 1982, I was in the process of completing my Rush back catalogue, and I was doing a rock show on a local pirate radio station at weekends. One day, a girl rang me up purporting to do an interview about my favourite band for a school paper.

I waxed on about Rush, whom I had discovered a year before, and proceeded to talk about all the albums I had.

"Are you missing any?", she asked.

Just one, I answered. Caress Of Steel.

The next day, my then girlfriend who did an Irish traditional show at the station came in with a copy of COS - The whole damn thing was a set up to see what album she should buy me.

Of course I listen to the remaster on CD now, but occasionally, the vinyl copy goes on to my knackered 16 year old JVC for old times sake.

For the record, musically (and lyrically), the ambition of 'Lamneth' has always done it for me, I've loved the humour of 'Bald', and the only thing even vaguely approaching a dud track on the album IMO is Lakeside Park which is a little bit to twee for my taste.

bumper.gif

Show some love for Fly By Night 1022.gif