A Discussion About Spindrift

Tick

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 18 2012, 09:44 PM)
QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 18 2012, 04:10 PM)
I like 'Spindrift'. A while back I picked only 2 songs from S&A to go on my ipod, and this and 'Faithless' were those songs. I like the groove - kind of impatient, swirly, and a little menacing. And my favourite part is the "What am I supposed to say, where are the words to answer you..." and the Geddy vocalization ("Whoa-oa-oa-OA-OA").

I'm glad that I enjoy it, and that's good enough for me!  smile.gif

See, that's my only real complaint about it: too much "woooOOOOH" and "whooOOOAH-OH"-ing going on. I hate that in just about any song; frequently it seems to be code for "we couldn't really come up with anything that worked right here". Or, as sometimes happens live, "I forgot the lyrics to this passage".

If it sounds good, it is good, whoooOooohs or not...they make no difference at all...

trink38.gif

I'm not going to read the 3 pages of comments. tongue.gif

Spindrift is a beautiful example of tension and release in a song. I don't think I need elaborate - you know what I'm talking about. Because of this, sometimes I'm not up for hearing it. But I appreciate it for its mastery of form.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 18 2012, 01:43 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 18 2012, 01:10 PM)
Spindrift has to be one of Rush's most overrated songs.
Seriously. It starts off very atmospheric and you think, "Oh cool, this had a Witch hunt vibe!"
Then it ushers in with Neils drums that follow the chords Ged and Alex are playing. It sounds like something a 14 year old kid would have written as a drum lead in. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just feel the lead in drums are uneventful and kind of lame.
From there the song goes nowhere you hoped it would, with uneventful lyrics and a weak chorus.
To be honest, this song typifies why I don't care for Snakes And Arrows. Its a collection of songs that come up a buck short.
With the exemption of Mal Nar and Far cry, I really don't need to listen.
Spindrift falls way short of what the first 20 seconds of the song mislead you into thinking it will be.

This thread should be fun, but I just wanted to reflect on my feelings after just hearing Spindrift on my Ipod while cleaning house.

I bet if Hogarth sang it you would like it better.

tongue.gif

I agree with OP that it is a horrible song and figured not much could make it worse....but you've found a way to make it worse.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 18 2012, 09:44 PM)
QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 18 2012, 04:10 PM)
I like 'Spindrift'. A while back I picked only 2 songs from S&A to go on my ipod, and this and 'Faithless' were those songs. I like the groove - kind of impatient, swirly, and a little menacing. And my favourite part is the "What am I supposed to say, where are the words to answer you..." and the Geddy vocalization ("Whoa-oa-oa-OA-OA").

I'm glad that I enjoy it, and that's good enough for me!  smile.gif

See, that's my only real complaint about it: too much "woooOOOOH" and "whooOOOAH-OH"-ing going on. I hate that in just about any song; frequently it seems to be code for "we couldn't really come up with anything that worked right here". Or, as sometimes happens live, "I forgot the lyrics to this passage".

I admit I tend to like 'Geddy choruses' and the like, so I'm probably rather biased about the "Whoa-oa-oa"s in this song. However, take 'The Larger Bowl' - there's quite a few "Whoa-oa-oa-oh-oh"s in there, I'm not nearly as big a fan of them as I am of the ones in 'Spindrift'... if you get my drift....

Some of my favourite 'Geddy choruses' are found in 'Sweet Miracle' and 'Slipping' from his own album... if anyone cares, that is.... unsure.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 19 2012, 03:42 AM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Jul 19 2012, 03:51 AM)
I prefer Spindrift to Caravan, BU2B, Seven Cities, The Anarchist, Carnies...

You're on acid

That's exactly what i feel about those Clockwork Angels adorers... cool10.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 19 2012, 04:45 AM)
I'm not going to read the 3 pages of comments. tongue.gif

Spindrift is a beautiful example of tension and release in a song. I don't think I need elaborate - you know what I'm talking about. Because of this, sometimes I'm not up for hearing it. But I appreciate it for its mastery of form.

Tool has used this as well in a few songs. Particularly in Stinkfist. Tension then release. Great effect.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 18 2012, 08:04 PM)
listening to it while watching Tick's avatar. it kicks ass.

DIMI!!!! 1022.gif

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jul 19 2012, 07:18 PM)

You're on acid

Fair enough trink38.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 22 2012, 02:18 AM)

You're on acid

Fair enough trink38.gif

Johnny, you think a vast majority of the world is on acid. Don't you know most have moved on to bigger and better things like, Oxycontin? atickhum.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 22 2012, 09:31 PM)
the producer is a spineless jellyfish for not telling them that s & a sucks. should have told them to start from scratch.

B.S.

Snakes is a cool album. The band was chill and in a good place. The tour was fantastic.

And it lead to a great album.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 23 2012, 12:02 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 22 2012, 02:18 AM)

You're on acid

Fair enough trink38.gif

Johnny, you think a vast majority of the world is on acid. Don't you know most have moved on to bigger and better things like, Oxycontin? atickhum.gif

That might be true of the younger generations but for those over 30 I think they're similar to you: ON ACID! atickhum.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 22 2012, 09:31 PM)
the producer is a spineless jellyfish for not telling them that s & a sucks. should have told them to start from scratch.

laugh.gif