A Discussion About Spindrift

Tick

Spindrift has to be one of Rush's most overrated songs.

Seriously. It starts off very atmospheric and you think, "Oh cool, this has a Witch hunt vibe!"

Then it ushers in with Neils drums that follow the chords Ged and Alex are playing. It sounds like something a 14 year old kid would have written as a drum lead in. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just feel the lead in drums are uneventful and kind of lame.

From there the song goes nowhere you hoped it would, with uneventful lyrics and a weak chorus.

To be honest, this song typifies why I don't care for Snakes And Arrows. Its a collection of songs that come up a buck short.

With the exemption of Mal Nar and Far cry, I really don't need to listen.

Spindrift falls way short of what the first 20 seconds of the song mislead you into thinking it will be.

This thread should be fun, but I just wanted to reflect on my feelings after just hearing Spindrift on my Ipod while cleaning house.

Edited by Tick

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrible song, truly one of the worst Rush has ever written. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Like you said, it starts off well, rather sinisterly, but the vocals during the verses are just awful and the choruses are boring. The bridge isn't too bad, but it certainly doesn't save the tune.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 18 2012, 01:10 PM)
Seriously. It starts off very atmospheric and you think, "Oh cool, this had a Witch hunt vibe!"
Then it ushers in with Neils drums that follow the chords Ged and Alex are playing. It sounds like something a 14 year old kid would have written as a drum lead in. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just feel the lead in drums are uneventful and kind of lame.
From there the song goes nowhere you hoped it would, with uneventful lyrics and a weak chorus.
To be honest, this song typifies why I don't care for Snakes And Arrows. Its a collection of songs that come up a buck short.
Spindrift falls way short of what the first 20 seconds of the song mislead you into thinking it will be.

This thread should be fun, but I just wanted to reflect on my feelings after just hearing Spindrift on my Ipod while cleaning house.

I bet if Hogarth sang it you would like it better.

tongue.gif

The only listenable song on that scrap heap of an album

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 18 2012, 01:44 PM)

Really? You like this song better than the two I mentioned? If so...why???

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 18 2012, 01:43 PM)
Seriously. It starts off very atmospheric and you think, "Oh cool, this had a Witch hunt vibe!"

tongue.gif

Not even the great H could save this mess.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 18 2012, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 18 2012, 01:44 PM)

Really? You like this song better than the two I mentioned? If so...why???

Because the 2 songs you like Suck laugh.gif I think it's the heaviest song on the album but i don't like it enough Not to skip it when it comes on my i-pod

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 18 2012, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 18 2012, 01:43 PM)

tongue.gif

Not even the great H could save this mess.

laugh.gif

What a piece of crap it is too. Fortunately it is better than anything on VT and half the bunk on CA.

I just tried to listen to a little S&A agian, i threw up in my mouth a bit

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 18 2012, 02:11 PM)
I just tried to listen to a little S&A agian, i threw up in my mouth a bit

You must have accidentally been listening to VT.

Actually, if parts were done acoustically, a band like Opeth could really make this work even better. I can hear the awesomeness now.

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jul 18 2012, 02:51 PM)
I prefer Spindrift to Caravan, BU2B, Seven Cities, The Anarchist, Carnies, Wish them Bad...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2012, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 18 2012, 02:08 PM)
Glue. It does a body bad. atickhum.gif

Stopping sniffing it then!

dazed025.gif

Why did I know that was coming. I was hoping for a more cleaver response instead of the fully expected cliche one. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 18 2012, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2012, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 18 2012, 02:08 PM)
Glue. It does a body bad. atickhum.gif

Stopping sniffing it then!

dazed025.gif

Why did I know that was coming. I was hoping for a more cleaver response instead of the fully expected cliche one. atickhum.gif

I gave the answer that your cliche question demanded!

tongue.gif