Best album ending song?

JohnnyBlaze

Which is the best closing song on the studio albums?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best closing song on the studio albums?

• Working Man
    • In the End
    • Fountain of Lamneth
    • Something for Nothing
    • Cygnus X-1
    • La Villa Strangiato
    • Natural Science
    • Vital Signs
    • Countdown
    • Between the Wheels
    • Mystic Rhythms
    • High Water
    • Available Light
    • You Bet Your Life
    • Everyday Glory
    • Carve Away the Stone
    • Out of the Cradle
    • We Hold On
    • The Garden

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Jul 16 2012, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 16 2012, 08:10 PM)
QUOTE (clearingsky @ Jul 16 2012, 08:08 PM)
No beef with anyone else's vote here as my own would change with the day. Yes I am the lone "High Water" vote.........and I am quite happy to defend it.

Okay. Defend it.

OK Challenge it.

With some knowledge and experience please.

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Jul 16 2012, 08:18 PM)
No beef with anyone else's vote here as my own would change with the day. Yes I am the lone "High Water" vote.........and I am quite happy to defend it.

Okay. Defend it.

OK Challenge it.

Dude you're the one who came out with guns blazing...obviously you have heard this song attacked before, and you had something in mind at the time of making the comment. So what was it?

Okay. Defend it.

OK Challenge it.

It's just that High Water along with Tai Shan are considered a huge mistake to put on HYF and that they collectively drag down the album (which is really not a fan favorite anyway). Add to that the fact that it was put against giants such as Cyg, NatSci, and La Villa, and your choice is really quite incomprehensible to me.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 16 2012, 08:23 PM)

Okay. Defend it.

OK Challenge it.

It's just that High Water along with Tai Shan are considered a huge mistake to put on HYF and that they collectively drag down the album (which is really not a fan favorite anyway). Add to that the fact that it was put against giants such as Cyg, NatSci, and La Villa, and your choice is really quite incomprehensible to me.

There you go " enemy without " as I began my post with "not having a beef" with anyone else's vote, I went on to state that my vote would change with each day. And there is no arguing the popular choices. So my attempt to defend my choice of the album ender to HYF is simply that this album and time period of my life hold quite an important and special time in my life.......and yes indeed I am here to report that we are still happily married and raising 3 high schoolers.

And isn't that what it's really about about?

Passing along the music of Rush to your children?

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Jul 16 2012, 08:55 PM)

Okay. Defend it.

OK Challenge it.

There you go " enemy without " as I began my post with "not having a beef" with anyone else's vote, I went on to state that my vote would change with each day. And there is no arguing the popular choices. So my attempt to defend my choice of the album ender to HYF is simply that this album and time period of my life hold quite an important and special time in my life.......and yes indeed I am here to report that we are still happily married and raising 3 high schoolers.

Reasonable.

Okay. Defend it.

OK Challenge it.

As a side note I would like to express that......" I really don't care about fan favorites"

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 15 2012, 12:55 AM)
In a recent poll called "Rush's best 'modern' slow song", The Garden beat the living hell out of The Pass, Bravado, and Resist. I was surprised by HOW MUCH it beat everything up. So, I'd like to test it's power again. I don't expect it to win but I'd like to see how it goes up against some of these other album-ending beasts.  trink38.gif

Interestingly, my #1 and #2 Rush tunes are in this poll...something natural and something strange.  1022.gif

I actually find it absurd that The Garden beat out Bravado.

But it is a subjective thing so whatever.

But to me The Garden has fast become one of the most overrated Rush songs in history. Along the lines of The Fountain of Lamneth overrated.

It's a good song. But far from their top shelf work. Far from it.

Bravado is a amazing song start to finish, with one of Alex's great all time solo's and the live extended version (from Different Stages in particular) is stunning.

The Garden is not in the same league to me.

As far as closers there are there a few on this list that should be far and away the top vote getters and yet one of them has one vote and a couple zero votes and that is a scam!!!

Natural Science

La Villa

Working Man

Between The Wheels

Something for Nothing

Available Light

Vital Signs

Mystic Rhythms

All of those are awesome closers and far better songs than The Garden.

My 2 cents.

Oh and my vote went to Natural Science, on the best Rush album ever made.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 16 2012, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 16 2012, 12:23 AM)
Between The Wheels... has my fav Rush guitar solo of all time.

You must not be familiar with "No One at the Bridge" from Caress of Steel. wink.gif

No One at the Bridge is brilliant!!! The rest of Fountain......meh.

Alex does sizzle on that tune though. Love it.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 15 2012, 01:09 AM)
If LaVilla does not win, then you all are worthless and weak.

For those who don't vote for "La Villa Strangiato", will they have to drop and give you twenty?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 16 2012, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 15 2012, 01:09 AM)
If LaVilla does not win, then you all are worthless and weak.

For those who don't vote for "La Villa Strangiato", will they have to drop and give you twenty?

I didnt vote for that, and Im not doing push ups for anyone.

It's a great instrumental, but it's just that, an instrumental. For that reason alone it doesn't touch Natural Science for me.

No instrumental is going to match up with a song with great vocal melodies and very smart lyrics, even if they're a bit nerdy.

As far as Garden, it's a good closer for a modern Rush album, but it's just not even close to some of their old classic closers.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 16 2012, 09:04 PM)

Okay. Defend it.

OK Challenge it.

Reasonable.

That might be the most "reasonable" of reponses ever!

Thanks cool10.gif

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 16 2012, 08:22 PM)

Okay. Defend it.

OK Challenge it.

Dude you're the one who came out with guns blazing...obviously you have heard this song attacked before, and you had something in mind at the time of making the comment. So what was it?

Gun's Blazin' ?

Nah......we'll leave that to the "Poll Creator"

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Jul 16 2012, 09:30 PM)

Okay. Defend it.

OK Challenge it.

Reasonable.

Thanks cool10.gif

I was just wondering whether it was genuine enjoyment of the song or personal attachment to the album. It turned out to be the latter.

For better or worse.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 16 2012, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (clearingsky @ Jul 16 2012, 09:30 PM)

Okay. Defend it.

OK Challenge it.

Reasonable.

Thanks cool10.gif

I was just wondering whether it was genuine enjoyment of the song or personal attachment to the album. It turned out to be the latter.

For better or worse.

cool10.gif

Not exactly! " High Water" hits hard. Anyone in doubt should give it a clean fresh listen. Without pre-conceived notions, without regard to popularity.

Hmm. Well. I can answer this two different ways: the best closing song, or the best song that happens to fall as the closing song (there's a difference!).

I think the best closing song would be 'Everyday Glory' or 'We Hold On' or 'The Garden', as they work very well as album enders.

My favourite song that happens to be an album ending song would be 'La Villa Strangiato', along with 'Natural Science' and 'Vital Signs'. Great songs!

Interesting. I never considered any song other than La Villa Strangiato. Not only is it the best closing song on an album, it may be my favorite Rush song.

1. La Villa

2. Natural Science

3. Cygnus X-1

4. Vital Signs

5. Between The Wheels

6. The Garden

7. Something For Nothing

8. Working Man

9. High Water

10. Tai Shan (I actually like this song, contrary to what Alex and Geddy think about it)

11. Available Light

*** I'm one of the fans that thinks The Garden gets more praise than it warrants. Solid song, but I think Bravado and Sweet Miracle are much better tunes. Sweet Miracle may be one of the most underrated Rush songs around. I'd also put The Pass above The Garden.

Cant answer this. Thought it would be an easy "yes" but seeing

Working Man, In the End, Fountain of Lamneth, Something for Nothing

Cygnus X-1, La Villa Strangiato, Natural Science, and Between the Wheels makes it an impossible choice.

Granted, most of those songs could be anywhere on an album, not just last.

If chosen purely on the merit of being the most appropriate for being the last song on an album, then the answer has to be Cygnus X-1, as it could go no where else on AFtK and make sense.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 17 2012, 07:00 AM)
ohmy.gif Everyday Glory is beating Cygnus X-1? WTF?! I can understand The Garden beating Cygnus (I don't agree with it) but I understand it.

Cygnus is in more direct competition with LVS and NS. People who like the style of EG have less similar songs to pull way their votes.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 17 2012, 05:00 AM)
ohmy.gif Everyday Glory is beating Cygnus X-1? WTF?! I can understand The Garden beating Cygnus (I don't agree with it) but I understand it.

unbelievable. and yeah, the Garden is officially overrated.