The Error: Tai Shan

Bangster of Goats

Tai Shan.

Geddy Lee has called it an "error."

Fans and non-fans alike ripped it apart when Hold Your Fire was released.

Hold Your Fire is approximately 50 minutes long, the longest Rush studio album at that point. Cassettes were still in wide use in 1987. So when the whole LP/CD wouldn't fit on one side of a standard 90-minute cassette tape when you were making a copy for the car? Tai Shan was cast away.

But you know what?

I've always liked the song. confused13.gif

*bows head in shame*

(I remember buying a blank cassette with a 100 or 120 minute playing time so I could include the whole album on one side when I made my car copy...)

I have no shame in saying that I really like Tai Shan! I find it to be one of the most melodic and atmospheric songs the band has ever written. And I have a question for all the haters - what is it about the song you dislike so much?? I never understood all the criticism hurled at Tai Shan, including the comments from Rush themselves!

I don't skip past it. Neil talks about taking the personal and making it universal. I think the song could have been kicked up a notch by making it more universal.

There's worse (Manhattan Project - an "must-always-skip" song for me).

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jul 1 2012, 10:00 AM)
Love the whole album.

Me too.

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jul 1 2012, 09:26 AM)
QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jul 1 2012, 10:00 AM)
Love the whole album.

Me too.

Me three! This, although I would admit it is probably the worst example of "typical RUSH" record, this is the album that got me into Rush in the first place.

It will always "Hold" a special place in my heart, and despite it being largely mellow I honestly enjoy every last track on this one, something I cannot say for any album since, until Clockwork Angels showed up that is!

1022.gif

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Jun 30 2012, 07:47 PM)
I have no shame in saying that I really like Tai Shan! I find it to be one of the most melodic and atmospheric songs the band has ever written. And I have a question for all the haters - what is it about the song you dislike so much?? I never understood all the criticism hurled at Tai Shan, including the comments from Rush themselves!

Funny to see all the lovde for "The Garden", considering the bashing that "Tai Shan" gets. Same could be said about the praise for "Xanadu".

RUSH has always had this side of them, and I don't mind it. I like the imagery of the song, and the guitar work.

I thought the entire album was mostly an error. Alex had back seat to synthesizers, Neil had a kit that sounded thinner than a supermodel on some songs and the synth sound just didn't appeal to me.

Its ok.,..Neil talked about it in his Traveling Music book,, it was inspired by a bike trip he was on,, so its worth a spin every once in awhile,, nice background music

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 30 2012, 09:09 PM)
It's not good at all, I think there's a couple worse songs, like Rivendell and Superconductor but it's near the bottom.

Agree. Superconductor is horrible

When I first played HYF way back when, I did feel Tai Shan was totally out of place with the pace & rhythm of the rest of the album.

But some 20 odd years later, I do feel an affection for the song now. It still doesn't make my top 50 Rush songs, but when the mood take me it's pretty good to relax to

I rather enjoy Tai Shan. Have right from the 1st time I heard it. Good song (IMO). That being said, it is something different and I can see how some folks might not like. No problem with that, their plenty of music those folks like that I might not like.

Lots better than High Water - again IMO.