What are your favorite Opening Movie Scenes

burgeranacoke

The recent thread on Goodfellas reminded me of the great opening scene in that movie and got me thinking about my favorites. The best seem to set the scene and the convey the feel of the movie perfectly.

These are my top three, all black and white for some reason. I will bet some Rushians can come up with some more that are just as fantastic and probably with more action and comedy than my choices.

Anyway.... click full screen mode on the clips and enjoy.

1. Fellini's

Well Mr. Director what are you going to do next, why do you do it, and with whom?

2. My favorite Scorsese

The grace of the animal, fighting with himself.

3. Best coitus joke. Dr Strangelove

Well we are all gonna get f*****!

Edited by burgeranacoke

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Jun 27 2012, 12:14 PM)
Quentin Tarantino owns this thread. Inglorious Basterds is a personal favorite of mine.

Awesome opening!!!!

The Thing (1982) with the dog running across the snow being chased by the helicopter.

I really liked the opening of the X-Files movie...Caveman chasing a bad guy across the snow into an ice cave.

Watchmen when The Comedian gets his ass kicked.

Reservior Dogs in the diner.

Star Wars

Raider Of The Lost Arc.

The beginning of Saving Private Ryan was the most intense cinema experience I have ever had in my life. I don't think there will ever be another movie that comes close.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 27 2012, 04:04 PM)
The beginning of Saving Private Ryan was the most intense cinema experience I have ever had in my life. I don't think there will ever be another movie that comes close.

goodpost.gif

That is an incredible scene. The logistics of putting together something like that is mind-boggling. I was reading about the sound design for that scene and they were talking about all the bullets that sound like they go right past you in surround sound. Each bullet had it's own track and was manually programmed a moving surround panning. There were over 1,000 tracks where each bullet had its own panning pattern. Crazy stuff. Would have loved to have worked on it.

for pure acting I'd go with Nicole Kidman in To Die For, great opening scene..

the first 15 minutes of Quantum of Solace is pretty damn exciting, which does not make up for the rest of that movie.

The opening scene of LOTR two Towers is pretty awesome with Gandalf falling and battling the Balrog. AWESOME!

The opening "Alien" title sequence.

Thin Red Line, the alligator.

Jaws, swimming shark point of view, with what may be the most perfect movie music ever.

This will take some thinking. But this is one of them:

The Lion King

The Lion King

and the opening of Jaws (thanks Goose)

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 27 2012, 05:25 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 27 2012, 04:04 PM)
The beginning of Saving Private Ryan was the most intense cinema experience I have ever had in my life.  I don't think there will ever be another movie that comes close.

goodpost.gif

That is an incredible scene. The logistics of putting together something like that is mind-boggling. I was reading about the sound design for that scene and they were talking about all the bullets that sound like they go right past you in surround sound. Each bullet had it's own track and was manually programmed a moving surround panning. There were over 1,000 tracks where each bullet had its own panning pattern. Crazy stuff. Would have loved to have worked on it.

I recently went from watching movies with the sound through a decent hifi to full on 7.1 surround sound; my wife & I were wondering which movie to test this on & decided on SPR.

1 - Terrifying, from the moment the landing craft ramp drops.

2 - Hysterically funny for my wife, as I kept ducking on instinct.

I'll take my favorite movie of all time: Star Wars.

First there's the 20th Century Fox music that segues perfectly into the orchestral Star Wars music with the Star Wars logo coming dramatically into view, after the by "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away," and then the text that opens the story starting at the bottom of the screen and going off into infinity in the middle of the screen. And then lets not forget the INCREDIBLE planet/ship/outer space fight scene and then R2 & C3PO, Darth Vader and the stormtroopers, etc. Man, it doesn't get more exciting than that - revolutionary in 1977, still mindblowing today. yes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ovtoLLLrQ

wub.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 29 2012, 01:07 PM)
The beginning of Raiders.

yes.gif That's what I was thinking

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 29 2012, 03:10 AM)

The Lion King

and the opening of Jaws (thanks Goose)

trink39.gif

Nice call on the Lion King. That is an epic opening!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 29 2012, 10:00 AM)

First there's the 20th Century Fox music that segues perfectly into the orchestral Star Wars music with the Star Wars logo coming dramatically into view, after the by "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away," and then the text that opens the story starting at the bottom of the screen and going off into infinity in the middle of the screen. And then lets not forget the INCREDIBLE planet/ship/outer space fight scene and then R2 & C3PO, Darth Vader and the stormtroopers, etc. Man, it doesn't get more exciting than that - revolutionary in 1977, still mindblowing today. yes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ovtoLLLrQ

wub.gif

Pure magic! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 30 2012, 03:00 AM)

Damn, you beat me to it! angry.gif laugh.gif

S P Ryan of course, Donnie Darko (original version), Pulp Fiction and Falling Down...to name a few cool.gif