I love Wish Them Well.

Bonghitsforjesus

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to believe that Rush and company were worried about the end result for this song. It's a strong song on an album with no weak cuts. I totally enjoy it. Totally. Great energy and attitude. Righteous lyrics. Chorus doesn't feel overdone. 1022.gif

edited to say, more like they worried about it until they got it right after several re-writes. I think they were actually happy with the end result. Woops.

Edited by Lerxster

This was the sleeper of thew pack and the song that has grown on me the most.

Very commercial and it has a Great lead by alex and one of Neil's best fill prior to the first verse.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 20 2012, 03:09 PM)
LOVE the verses

Spirits turned bitter by the poison of envy
Always angry and dissatisfied
Even the lost ones, the frightened and mean ones
Even the ones with a devil inside

I posted this in another thread...it fits better here:

I find it astounding that Geddy actually sounds "youthful" in his vocal delivery in WTW...there's a spunk in the verses that remind me of g/p or PoW...and the "Thank your stars you're not that way..." part sounds new and fresh. or something...

...well, to me at least after many listens. Anyone else hear what I mean?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 21 2012, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 21 2012, 05:59 PM)
It's hard to believe that Rush and company were worried about the end result for this song.

Not really....

Dude, this song could be a single easy. Don't fight it man. Don't fight it biggrin.gif

Just straight-ahead rock, but still among my top four CA tunes.

Love the chorus: "Thank your stars you're not that way..."

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 21 2012, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 21 2012, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 21 2012, 05:59 PM)
It's hard to believe that Rush and company were worried about the end result for this song.

Not really....

Dude, this song could be a single easy. Don't fight it man. Don't fight it biggrin.gif

Sure, it could be a single...... wink.gif

Whether a Rush song is (or can be) a single, doesn't change my opinion of it...

QUOTE (AndroidOnTheRun @ Jun 21 2012, 05:03 PM)
Okay, good, there's a thread praising this song. I need not make one myself.

The best part of this track is that it provides its own built-in response to anyone who doesn't like it.

yes.gif

I predict this will become TRF shorthand for "eh... don't want to waste my time with you." wink.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 22 2012, 12:32 AM)
QUOTE (AndroidOnTheRun @ Jun 21 2012, 05:03 PM)
Okay, good, there's a thread praising this song.  I need not make one myself.

The best part of this track is that it provides its own built-in response to anyone who doesn't like it.

yes.gif

I predict this will become TRF shorthand for "eh... don't want to waste my time with you." wink.gif

For some, it already has. laugh.gif

I've used it myself that way at least twice this past week, maybe three times, and I've seen others do it too.

"I thank my stars I'm not that way, but I wish you well."

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 21 2012, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 20 2012, 03:41 PM)
it's on the same boring level as speed of love.

Speed of Love is awesome, anyone who disagrees is just a hater laugh.gif

Not so much. Some songs just don't click with people. This is why people hate Rush entirely and love Justin Bieber. yes.gif

For the record, SoL is the worst track on CP in my eyes. Very cheezy.

I like the song, the lyrics, the melody etc.. If I have one minor complaint, and it's probably my only one on the whole album so far, it's Geddy's back-up vocals on this song. I'm just not in love with the background singing of "wish them well" for some reason.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 22 2012, 06:20 AM)
For the record, SoL is the worst track on CP in my eyes. Very cheezy.

I agree. "Speed of Love" is easily the worst song on Counterparts. It's like "Color of Right" on the next album. Both suck, big time.

This song is very commercial. It has one of Alex's best leads on the album and what might be Neil's best drum fill prior to the first verse and Geddy's vocals are strong. Its the melody on the: "Thanks you stars you're not that way, turn around and walk away" part that bring its down. Its a bit infantile, Almost childish!

Overall the songs rocks and works very well between BU2B2 and The Garden!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (RushIslander @ Jun 21 2012, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 20 2012, 03:09 PM)
LOVE the verses

Spirits turned bitter by the poison of envy
Always angry and dissatisfied
Even the lost ones, the frightened and mean ones
Even the ones with a devil inside

I posted this in another thread...it fits better here:

I find it astounding that Geddy actually sounds "youthful" in his vocal delivery in WTW...there's a spunk in the verses that remind me of g/p or PoW...and the "Thank your stars you're not that way..." part sounds new and fresh. or something...

...well, to me at least after many listens. Anyone else hear what I mean?

unsure.gif

I was just about to post this. I get a grand designs feel when listening to WTW even though they don't sound alike.

Edited by HowItIs

This song has been a major grower for me. I was listening to CA on my morning commute today and I was cranking this song.

I love it!!!

The solo section is fricking bad ass to the bone. I love the lyrics...I love the groove.

It is a straight on rocker!

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 20 2012, 10:01 AM)
Yeah, I really like this song. Very catchy. Neil doing a relatively simple, driving rock beat. And Alex's solo is really good.

I like the song enough. I hate the chorus overdub where Geddy belts out the really high "wish them well"...I don't know why it annoys me. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. However what you posted I agree with!!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 26 2012, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 20 2012, 10:01 AM)
Yeah, I really like this song.  Very catchy.  Neil doing a relatively simple, driving rock beat.  And Alex's solo is really good.

I like the song enough. I hate the chorus overdub where Geddy belts out the really high "wish them well"...I don't know why it annoys me. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. However what you posted I agree with!!!

trink39.gif

Its the chorus. (Thanks your stars, you're not that way), Its sounds very childish almost infantile. It makes you do that side to side head thing. Which is maybe what they intended. I believe the protagonist is holding on to what little is left of his optimism or inner child (Whatever you want to call it) that hasn't been scared by all the crap he's endured. Regardless, the verses and the rest of the song rocks. Its has one of Alex's awesome leads and maybe Neil's best fill prior to the 1st verse.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif