I love Wish Them Well.

Bonghitsforjesus

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 26 2012, 03:03 PM)
I like it alot, but that's coming from someone that loves Out Of The Cradle.

Now Out of the Cradle.....blech. Different strokes for different folks.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jun 26 2012, 03:18 PM)
Alex still smokes weed? biggrin.gif

Err. . . no, of course not. Appearing on the Trailer Park Boys and the cover of High Times meant nothing. Carry on.

cool10.gif

I wonder if there's a Kelly G?

unsure.gif

Jigga what?

Well we know there's a Kelly CT (Circumstantial Tree)...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 26 2012, 02:03 PM)

now out of the cradle is one of those weird little rush tracks that really works, one of my favs and probably has the grooviest little funky solo from Al too.

in fact you know what? i havent heard out of the cradle for a good couple months and i'll be damned if i aint going to youtube it now!

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 03:31 PM)

trink38.gif

Ah yes, but he's a dude and I decidedly am not.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 02:29 PM)

Hmm. What's that supposed to mean? Is "Out of the Cradle" overlooked or generally scoffed at? I dig that tune, but not "Wish Them Well."

goodpost.gif

I think we like a lot of the same music. Out of the Cradle has this driving power to it throughout the whole song while Wish them well just is not doing it for me at the moment. It sounds too much to me like a conventional pop rock song when I listen to it.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 02:37 PM)

trink38.gif

You're not a dude?

unsure.gif ohmy.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jun 26 2012, 03:49 PM)

Hmm. What's that supposed to mean? Is "Out of the Cradle" overlooked or generally scoffed at? I dig that tune, but not "Wish Them Well."

goodpost.gif

I think we like a lot of the same music. Out of the Cradle has this driving power to it throughout the whole song while Wish them well just is not doing it for me at the moment. It sounds too much to me like a conventional pop rock song when I listen to it.

Precisely!!!

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 02:52 PM)

goodpost.gif

Precisely!!!

I like that it sounds like a pop/rock song. Varies up the record and gives me a little taste of RTB which is a record I like quite a bit. The solo section on Wish Them Well sounds like it came from Counterparts and of course some of it sounds like Carve Way The Stone.

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 26 2012, 03:01 PM)

goodpost.gif

Precisely!!!

I like that it sounds like a pop/rock song. Varies up the record and gives me a little taste of RTB which is a record I like quite a bit. The solo section on Wish Them Well sounds like it came from Counterparts and of course some of it sounds like Crave Way The Stone.

I really like Roll the Bones also but while Roll the Bones was leaning towards a little more pop rock sound than a lot of there other albums, I still feel that most of the songs on it had more power and drive than Wish them Well does.

just my opinion.

I am glad that you like it so much. trink39.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 26 2012, 03:01 PM)

goodpost.gif

Precisely!!!

I like that it sounds like a pop/rock song. Varies up the record and gives me a little taste of RTB which is a record I like quite a bit. The solo section on Wish Them Well sounds like it came from Counterparts and of course some of it sounds like Crave Way The Stone.

Is Crave Away the Stone a song about Crackheads?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 02:37 PM)

trink38.gif

You're not a dude?

unsure.gif ohmy.gif

Spoiler alert.

I just said this in another thread, but I'll say it again here: for the first time in several Rush albums, catchy choruses and strong vocal melodies are back! This song, "Wish Them Well," is right up there in CA's "catchy chorus and strong vocal melody" department.

I may be in the minority here, but Wish Them Well is the one song on the album that I really don't like. I like the music (aside from the repetitive chorus), but I can't stand the lyrics. It has a somewhat naive message. Sure, it's fine if you're telling someone getting teased not to worry about some bullying idiots, but I really cannot fathom its relevance in this album. Wish whom well? The society that raised you to be an ignorant pawn? The greedy and destructive "wreckers" who stole your ship's supplies after killing your entire crew? That's not something you just "put behind you".

It isn't even a necessary part of the story. He already had his adventure, and it's the third of four songs that are just him reflecting on the adventure (the others being Headlong Flight, BU2B2, and The Garden). The others I can handle, not only because they have (in my opinion) much better lyrics and music, but because Headlong Flight and The Garden have different messages and purposes behind them, and BU2B is a short, transition piece.

But don't get me wrong, it's still a good song, just not when compared to the bulk of Rush's other work and when considered in the context of the album.

QUOTE (RustyLime69 @ Jun 27 2012, 05:50 PM)
I may be in the minority here, but Wish Them Well is the one song on the album that I really don't like. I like the music (aside from the repetitive chorus), but I can't stand the lyrics. It has a somewhat naive message. Sure, it's fine if you're telling someone getting teased not to worry about some bullying idiots, but I really cannot fathom its relevance in this album. Wish whom well? The society that raised you to be an ignorant pawn? The greedy and destructive "wreckers" who stole your ship's supplies after killing your entire crew? That's not something you just "put behind you".

It isn't even a necessary part of the story. He already had his adventure, and it's the third of four songs that are just him reflecting on the adventure (the others being Headlong Flight, BU2B2, and The Garden). The others I can handle, not only because they have (in my opinion) much better lyrics and music, but because Headlong Flight and The Garden have different messages and purposes behind them, and BU2B is a short, transition piece.

But don't get me wrong, it's still a good song, just not when compared to the bulk of Rush's other work and when considered in the context of the album.

don't worry i don't think you're in the minority. plenty of people think it's garbage. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 27 2012, 07:29 PM)
I get a late 60's early 70's vibe from the song. Maybe that's why I like it. A great Rush tune? Nah. But a good tune? Yeah.

Totally agreed! I listened to it today- I don't HATE it but it's definitely a throwaway track in my opinion.

Its a great Rush song. Then again, all of their songs are great. I think what's wrong with Wish Them Well is it doesn't have that mellow feel to it. Its not deep enough for a lot of people. Great song though... Just not the best...