8: Cygnus X-1

7: Witch Hunt

6: Natural Science

5: Jacob's Ladder

4: Between the Wheels

3: Mystic Rhythms

2: Fountain of Lamneth

1: Hemispheres

For once, I think I did a good job here. Pretty awesome list.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 21 2012, 01:12 AM)
QUOTE (Revizx @ Jun 19 2012, 04:51 PM)
This is to hard.

that's what she said.

I was totally going to say that, but decided to just be lady-like and produce a list. High-five to you, though! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Chronos @ Jun 20 2012, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (GUPower Windows @ Jun 19 2012, 01:04 AM)
*The Weapon (Signals) the P/G DVD/CD version so beastly.

+1. A stunning work. I can watch/listen to Neil in this video all day.

Not only that, this vid is a prime example of why I cannot agree with others in a different thread who remarked that Alex is essentially replaceable by many other guitarists. I'm sure others can cover his parts, but it's his unique textural compositions that makes him one of a kind. His flavor is what makes Rush quintessentially Rush.

goodpost.gif

I heartily agree. Few guitarists in rock utilize the full textural capabilities of the guitar the way Alex does; that's what makes him great. His style and unique part-crafting set him apart.

I also particularly like that he plays such intricate, complex, and stylistically exciting parts while approaching the instrument like an old-school rocker from a technique / attitude standpoint. Many guitarists can outdo him in terms of shred skills like sweep picking et al, but his playing has so much more soul than those technique hounds, IMO. I once heard a disc of Rush covers by mostly modern prog-metal types, and though incredibly skillful, it all sounded so hollow. I was like, "Man, these guys just don't get it."

OK ... first post ... here goes!

10. 2112-Soliloquy -- heavily influenced by the many live recordings I've heard of Geddy passionately emoting the last line.

9. By-Tor and the Snow Dog - Just rocks! The moment as a kid when I realized that the thunderous riffs that lead into the "quiet" section of the song were each one note shorter than the one that preceded it was a seminal Rush moment for me ... clued me into the fact that these guys were doing something unique and different.

8. BU2B -- First time in about 20 years I've spontaneously shouted "YEAH!" for no apparent reason after listening to a new Rush song.

7. La Villa Strangiato -- The interplay is sublime.

6. In the Mood -- When I first began attending Rush shows (in the early 80s) then would always play this near the end of the show. When Alex broke into the opening chords, the stage lights would shine into the crowd, and every "old dude" stoner would rise from their seats and go nuts. Still love the groove of this song.

5. Bravado -- Perfect in tone and mood.

4. Red Barchetta -- An absolute thundering tour-de-force of a song. Conveys the thrill of opening the throttle on a performance car along with the sweet quietude of a country getaway. Magnificient.

3. Xanadu -- I've seen this one on several lists and there's no mystery as to why. One could offer it up as a 11:06 distillation as to what makes Rush, well, Rush. You either get it, or you don't.

2. The Analog Kid -- From Alex's blistering solo to the evocative bridges, it's a moving encomium to youth, and the attendant hopes and fears that that special time brings.

1. Freewill -- This is the first song that ever "spoke" to me. It crystallized all that I had somehow known to be true and yet at that time, lacked the ability to properly articulate. Oh, and the fact that it is flat-out incredible doesn't hurt either.

QUOTE (AndroidOnTheRun @ Jun 21 2012, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (Chronos @ Jun 20 2012, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (GUPower Windows @ Jun 19 2012, 01:04 AM)
*The Weapon (Signals) the P/G DVD/CD version so beastly.

+1. A stunning work. I can watch/listen to Neil in this video all day.

Not only that, this vid is a prime example of why I cannot agree with others in a different thread who remarked that Alex is essentially replaceable by many other guitarists. I'm sure others can cover his parts, but it's his unique textural compositions that makes him one of a kind. His flavor is what makes Rush quintessentially Rush.

goodpost.gif

I heartily agree. Few guitarists in rock utilize the full textural capabilities of the guitar the way Alex does; that's what makes him great. His style and unique part-crafting set him apart.

I also particularly like that he plays such intricate, complex, and stylistically exciting parts while approaching the instrument like an old-school rocker from a technique / attitude standpoint. Many guitarists can outdo him in terms of shred skills like sweep picking et al, but his playing has so much more soul than those technique hounds, IMO. I once heard a disc of Rush covers by mostly modern prog-metal types, and though incredibly skillful, it all sounded so hollow. I was like, "Man, these guys just don't get it."

2x goodpost.gif

The Weapon is so underrated, especially the solo from mentioned DVD. Rush live is just completely absurd. It sounds even better. It's the main reason I'm looking forward to the CA tour and hopefully a DVD release of said tour so I can enjoy some of the finer moments of the album live, especially if the pull out some real gems traveling with an orchestra (I'm really hoping for Losing It, Mission & Marathon). Their attire is ridiculous on this tour, but as far as their DVD's go, the GUP one is possibly the best one IMO. ASOH has a better setlist for my preference, but it really lacks in the power that the GUP DVD had.

Anyway, back on topic. Alex Lifeson is definitely not replaceable. I argue it constantly with people who say his parts aren't super complicated etc. and how a lot of people could play it. I always respond to them that they couldn't play the parts if Alex didn't write them, and I think the composition card is enough to pull to solidify him a spot as one of the greatest guitarists, not to mention all the soul behind it. All three members are very into what they do, and that what's makes them 2.gif

I have the "Man these guys just don't get it" felling sometimes with Dream Theater wacko.gif I like DT a lot, I really do, they just can't compare to their main influence. They can solo/shred all day, but it just feels, as you said, hollow sometimes.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 21 2012, 01:55 AM)
10: Limbo
9: Bravest Face
8: Cygnus X-1
7: Witch Hunt
6: Natural Science
5: Jacob's Ladder
4: Between the Wheels
3: Mystic Rhythms
2: Fountain of Lamneth
1: Hemispheres

For once, I think I did a good job here. Pretty awesome list.

I had a big Limbo kick for a while and scoured for like a month to try and find a great live performance of it lol All I ended up with was some fan recorded stuff, but it was still really cool. Geddy added some bass parts that either aren't there (I've tried listening really hard) or he adds them live. I find myself kinda sing/humming the bass part I mentioned laugh.gif

Bravest Face has been in my playlist this week, and I must say it's grown on me a lot. I've really grown to love S&A a lot besides a few tracks, but I'm very open minded to Rush. Speaking of S&A, has anyone watched The Main Monkey Business Live in Holland? It absolutely SMOKES the album version.

The Main Monkey Business - Live in Holland via YouTube

QUOTE (johnhock @ Jun 21 2012, 10:46 PM)

10. 2112-Soliloquy -- heavily influenced by the many live recordings I've heard of Geddy passionately emoting the last line.

9. By-Tor and the Snow Dog - Just rocks! The moment as a kid when I realized that the thunderous riffs that lead into the "quiet" section of the song were each one note shorter than the one that preceded it was a seminal Rush moment for me ... clued me into the fact that these guys were doing something unique and different.

8. BU2B -- First time in about 20 years I've spontaneously shouted "YEAH!" for no apparent reason after listening to a new Rush song.

6. In the Mood -- When I first began attending Rush shows (in the early 80s) then would always play this near the end of the show. When Alex broke into the opening chords, the stage lights would shine into the crowd, and every "old dude" stoner would rise from their seats and go nuts. Still love the groove of this song.

4. Red Barchetta -- An absolute thundering tour-de-force of a song. Conveys the thrill of opening the throttle on a performance car along with the sweet quietude of a country getaway. Magnificient.

3. Xanadu -- I've seen this one on several lists and there's no mystery as to why. One could offer it up as a 11:06 distillation as to what makes Rush, well, Rush. You either get it, or you don't.

2. The Analog Kid -- From Alex's blistering solo to the evocative bridges, it's a moving encomium to youth, and the attendant hopes and fears that that special time brings.

1. Freewill -- This is the first song that ever "spoke" to me. It crystallized all that I had somehow known to be true and yet at that time, lacked the ability to properly articulate. Oh, and the fact that it is flat-out incredible doesn't hurt either.

Sorry, but you broke the first rule here at TRF.

You are not allowed to use the word "enconium" until your second post.

Other than that, welcome to the forum! Nice post!

I'll give it a go, Its kinda like a set list.

laugh.gif

Losing It

The Trees

Subdivisions

The Spirit if Radio

Limelight

Far Cry

Distant Early Warnings

The Wreckers

Cut to the Chase

Ghost of a Chance

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Alright! My kind of thread! Here we go:

1. Red Barchetta

2. Fly by Night

3. New World Man

4. YYZ

5. Freewill

6. La Villa Strangiato

7. Something for Nothing

8. The Camera Eye

9. Working Man

10. Closer to the Heart

Hard as hell.

in no order

1. Xanadu

2. the Pass

3. Chemistry

4. Losing it

5. Natural Science

6. Marathon

7. La Villa Strangiato

8. Entre Nous.

9. Spirit of Radio

10. Available Light

But it Changes. A lot. lol

653.gif

Mick

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jun 22 2012, 08:19 AM)
QUOTE (johnhock @ Jun 21 2012, 10:46 PM)

Sorry, but you broke the first rule here at TRF.

You are not allowed to use the word "enconium" until your second post.

Other than that, welcome to the forum! Nice post!

Doh! No encomium until second post. I guess it's OK here then?

Thank you for the kind welcome.

Why not......no particular order.

Red Barchetta 

Subdivisions

Marathon

Jacobs Ladder (ESL version)

Natural Science

Broons Bane/The Trees/Xanadu Suite (ESL)

The Spirit of Radio

Red Sector A

Mission

La Villa Strangiato (ESL version)

Edited by Todem

Based purely on the songs I find myself replaying the most (listed in reverse chronological order):

1) Dreamline

2) Bravado

3) all of Presto minus Superconductor

4) Time Stand Still

5) Turn the Page

6) Lock and Key

7) The Weapon

8) Subdivisions

9) all of MP

10) 2112 (Overture/Syrinx)

In no particular order.

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Freewill

3. Entre Nous

4. Limelight

5. Subdivisions

6. The Big Money

7. Marathon

8. Driven

9. Time Stand Still

10. Tai Shan

On 12/7/2023 at 3:39 PM, Weatherman said:

Based purely on the songs I find myself replaying the most (listed in reverse chronological order):

9) all of MP

10) 2112 (Overture/Syrinx)

Cop out, bruh. Make the hard choices like I had to do.

Edited by JohnRogers
spalling eror