Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

It's always nice to get a new release from your favourite artist, but I will definitely need more than one listen to come to an overall impression of the album. Sounding really good though - got my juices going this morning!!

2.gif

653.gif trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 4 2012, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 4 2012, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (napoleonj @ Jun 4 2012, 09:18 PM)
Didn't see this covered anywhere in
this thread. What happened to the Pedlar 1 and 2?

Yeah, what's up with that? Maybe we'll find out once we actually have the CD in hand they might be there attached to the end of songs! Who knows!

confused13.gif

I've heard two conflicting things:

1. They aren't songs, they're transitions. You've heard them as part of the songs they're attached to.

2. They're subtitles for two other songs.

I don't know which is the truth. Has it been definitively proven yet?

I was thinking the exact thing. Those interludes before some of the songs could be the answer. That technique is very reminiscent of older Prog, like Genesis's The Lamb.

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 5 2012, 12:57 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 4 2012, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 5 2012, 12:42 AM)
I don't want to be THAT guy. I know some of you don't like talking about the quality of the production/mastering. But what do you guys think of the production/mastering of this album? I kind of think the album is a bit muddy and bloated in spots. I mean, not in all places. I think it's mostly the bass. I think the drums and vocals sound pretty good.

Then again, we have a 192 rip. And a good amount of people are saying this is a transcode (so it could be a 128 rip transcoded up to 192).

Agreed. I said it earlier, about how the heaviest parts sound real loud and noisy, which I suspect is the result of this rip. The CD will sound much better.

On the plus side, we know it could never get as bad as VT.

biggrin.gif

Indeed. biggrin.gif It's already FAR better than that album's sound. They really screwed the pooch on that record.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 5 2012, 02:34 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 4 2012, 10:52 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 5 2012, 12:42 AM)
I don't want to be THAT guy. I know some of you don't like talking about the quality of the production/mastering. But what do you guys think of the production/mastering of this album? I kind of think the album is a bit muddy and bloated in spots. I mean, not in all places. I think it's mostly the bass. I think the drums and vocals sound pretty good.

Then again, we have a 192 rip. And a good amount of people are saying this is a transcode (so it could be a 128 rip transcoded up to 192).

Agreed. I said it earlier, about how the heaviest parts sound real loud and noisy, which I suspect is the result of this rip. The CD will sound much better.

Yeah, it sounds muddy, but it's definitely due to the compression. Can't wait to hear the CD!

I found headphones to make a difference.

Very early impressions:

Only listened full-through a few times. Thought it was just ok the first go round, but its getting better with every listen - definitely seems like a grower. And with the complexity of the songs Im noticing different nuances each go round. Couple of quick points:

1)Remixes of Caravan and BU2B make the songs much better, esp the latter.

2)the block of the Anarchist through Wreckers is currently my favorite part of the album. theres alot to listen to there, and Im enjoying it more with every listen.

3)Wish them Well is a good song, especially the solo not sure why its been panned.

that's it for now. Will give an overall review once I consume this monster a few more times.

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 5 2012, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 5 2012, 02:01 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 5 2012, 01:52 AM)
Just listened to The Wreckers again.. this is a REAL good song. Omg

Isn't it funny how most of the reviewers viewed this track as a middle of the road song while a lot of posters on here view it as one of their favs? confused13.gif

Haha right?

I still remember the review in which the author said that Halo Effect would become an instant classic. Wtf was he smoking?

Edit: Speaking of which, I was talking to someone on Youtube yesterday about Marathon and how many Rush fans consider it a top 20, if not a top 10 song. This conversation was just a couple hours before the leak. He replied:

"yeah, i would agree with that sentiment. But, with the advent of their latest three albums, and the strength of some of the songs on those albums (Ceiling Unlimited, Halo Effect, Caravan, Far Cry, Earthshine) it would stand to reason that Marathon would slip from that list. And that is not a negative reflection on the song itself, it is a testament to RUSH's ability to continue to get better and hone their skills and musicianship. "

Me: "Wait, Halo Effect? Have you heard it already?"

"It is off "Clockwork Angels" ... Headlong Flight, BU2B, Caravan ... those three you can listen to right now ... I have a friend who got a promo copy for reviewing ... i took a sneak listen -- or three."

So.. I've seen two people consider Halo Effect to be this masterpiece of a song. I think it's definitely one of the weaker tracks.

wtf.gif confused13.gif

I really enjoy Halo Effect, particularly where its placed on the album. Listening to it as part of a whole, rather than a stand along tune.

The Real Deal:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/FanPackII.jpg

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jun 5 2012, 06:54 AM)
The Real Deal:

Seeing that gets me excited all over again.

I'm really looking forward to the first listen with lyrics and booklet on the big home stereo.

If so many people are so positive and excited about a 192kbps rip this could be a very important Rush release. Initial excitement aside, it does seem to the be shaping up to be a later period classic.

I'm curious to see if favorability will remain so high over time.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jun 4 2012, 11:00 AM)
Seems like so far I'm the only one who actually really LIKES the title track... unsure.gif

Nope...me too.

Loved Clockwork Angels

Loved Halo Effect

Loved The Wreckers

Was actually a bit dissapointed in Carnies...after the opening riff, it kind of fell flat IMHO

Of course still loved Headlong Flight

The Garden was excellent as a finale

The Real Deal:

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Guess we won't be hearing from you for a while! biggrin.gif

The Real Deal:

Awesome that you got it!

So, is that Digipak? It looks like they know digipak sucks, and shipped it in a blister package to protect it . . . because digipak sucks. What is the big flipping deal about using jewel cases. Dang it.

Wow! Where to start? l came to this collection of songs with massive reservations as I wasn't overly impressed with either caravan or headless flight as l called it at the time.

But after a few listens casual and intense, they may have surprised me and lots of others in the old rush good new rush bad camp.

The 3 songs that have been previewed work much better within the context of the album. Caravan and BU2B in particular sound much better re-mixed. Some wonderfully atmospheric stuff in the middle of BU2B.

Clockwork Angels- love the shifts in mood and pace. The anarchist has lots of interesting changes and is strong but needs more time. Wasn't too fussed on carnies first listen or 2, but is growing-anyone else hearing a Big Country vibe to this?.

Halo effect-probably one of the weaker songs, but has an interesting middle 8 but works as it slows things down a bit following the onslaught of the first 5 tracks. Seven cities, again first couple of listens had me thinking meh, but again, growing.

The wreckers is another very strong piece, but not sure if this one has the stickability of some of the other songs, and l find the intro a bit off putting as l can't help thinking of Springsteen with those first few bars!

Headlong flight really surprised me in the context of the record;- it's placed really well and it's energy and urgency works so well as a later song on the CD.

BU2B2-ok, it's a bridging piece leading into wish them well. Like others I'd say it is probably the weakest song on the record and seems to suffer from being "out of place" in comparison to the other songs. Its certainly not the clunker that bravest face, face up or superconductor are.

And finally, the garden. What a stunning track to finish the record with. Powerful and emotional and the best album ender since natural science.

Some of Lifeson's playing is inspired-it might not be technically great but for the first time in a long while he's creating mood with texture. While it's Neil and Geddy that frequently get the plaudits for their musical chops, he's so under rated. Alex is the "voice" of the band and he's finally back on this CD.

Just hope that l feel the same six months time when the songs have lived and breathed a bit more, but so far, Me Likey!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 5 2012, 06:15 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 5 2012, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 5 2012, 02:01 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 5 2012, 01:52 AM)
Just listened to The Wreckers again.. this is a REAL good song. Omg

Isn't it funny how most of the reviewers viewed this track as a middle of the road song while a lot of posters on here view it as one of their favs? confused13.gif

Haha right?

I still remember the review in which the author said that Halo Effect would become an instant classic. Wtf was he smoking?

Edit: Speaking of which, I was talking to someone on Youtube yesterday about Marathon and how many Rush fans consider it a top 20, if not a top 10 song. This conversation was just a couple hours before the leak. He replied:

"yeah, i would agree with that sentiment. But, with the advent of their latest three albums, and the strength of some of the songs on those albums (Ceiling Unlimited, Halo Effect, Caravan, Far Cry, Earthshine) it would stand to reason that Marathon would slip from that list. And that is not a negative reflection on the song itself, it is a testament to RUSH's ability to continue to get better and hone their skills and musicianship. "

Me: "Wait, Halo Effect? Have you heard it already?"

"It is off "Clockwork Angels" ... Headlong Flight, BU2B, Caravan ... those three you can listen to right now ... I have a friend who got a promo copy for reviewing ... i took a sneak listen -- or three."

So.. I've seen two people consider Halo Effect to be this masterpiece of a song. I think it's definitely one of the weaker tracks.

wtf.gif confused13.gif

I really enjoy Halo Effect, particularly where its placed on the album. Listening to it as part of a whole, rather than a stand along tune.

I really don't find Halo Effect to be so weak! Do you consider "Closer to the Heart" weak? This is in the same realm! I wouldn't say it's an instant classic like say Caravan or Headlong flight! But it's very good! Much better than most of the later 3 albums!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jun 5 2012, 10:59 AM)
Man, The Garden is a good song.

yes.gif

yes.gif Agreed.

I'm digging the entire album more and more after each listen. It just keeps getting better...

Wow how can anybody not like the title track?

Song is f***ing awesome!!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 5 2012, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jun 5 2012, 07:54 AM)
The Real Deal:

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

COOL! Did you receive a shipment notice before it left? Or did it just get shipped without any notice to you?

It does look awesome, but I'm really disappointed that the poster comes folded. I know it would be too much to expect it to come rolled (packaging nightmare on the whole), but I won't be framing and hanging the poster like I thought I might since it has crease lines in it sad.gif

I've heard about half of the songs as they pop up on YouTube from time to time. Clockwork Angels and Wish Them Well sound a little bit like they were cut and spliced together, particularly the latter, but I like them.

The Garden is just a beautiful, gorgeous song.

Not completely in love with the Wreckers like some are. Good song, but not a standout for me after a couple of listens.