Great new Alex interview!

Joesaracer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headlong Flight: "We did shrink the middle section quite a bit. Originally, it had more of a jam thing going on, but we thought it was a little over the top, so we pulled it back." Was anyone else happy to read this?

I like the song but I'd probably like it more if they had cut out a verse and made the mid-section longer!

Great interview - thanks for posting!

This, more than any of the reviews thus far posted, has me very excited for the disc!!! To hear Alex's excitement and thoughts about each track, for me carries more weight than any other opinion (other than my own, of course!) Sounds like a freakin' cool album!

QUOTE (cygnify @ May 25 2012, 08:01 AM)
To hear Alex's excitement and thoughts about each track, for me carries more weight than any other opinion (other than my own, of course!) Sounds like a freakin' cool album!

+1

Every artist ever (including Rush) always says, "We think it's the best work we've ever done." or something to that effect. They're promoting themselves, all the work is fresh, and they feel connected to it. They are putting themselves out for all the world to judge, and they need to feel confident that it's good. They'll often convince themselves of that, even when it's not.

But, all of Alex's comments here are not that broad. He's very specific about what he likes about the album and the songs, about things they did differently. I didn't get the feeling he was just self-promoting. I am so stoked to hear this mutha!

QUOTE (Joesaracer @ May 25 2012, 05:45 AM)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&...hya8qa6XtpLgW9g

This makes the wait nearly unbearable

EDIT: Come on, snowdog2112, pick up your game! biggrin.gif

I must have gotten old and slow in the last few days. You beat me to it when I was asleep again! laugh.gif

I did a search before I went to bed, they're doing this to me on purpose. laugh.gif

good to see a mention for robin trower too.. for anyone who hasnt heard him check out some youtube for trower, particularly from the album victims of the fury, try a track called The Ring even.... just awesome, not surprised one of Al's influences

Funny, isn't it?

The song was written two years ago, though. Maybe Caravan and BU2B are layered while everything else "new" is much simpler in its tracking.

I kind of figured that, but it was just funny to me.

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ May 25 2012, 08:53 AM)
good to see a mention for robin trower too.. for anyone who hasnt heard him check out some youtube for trower, particularly from the album victims of the fury, try a track called The Ring even.... just awesome, not surprised one of Al's influences

If people on here don't know about Robin Trower, they have been living under a rock 1022.gif

Thanks Joesaracer!! great read!!...so cool that Alex is still so enthusiastic,about these songs...can't wait 2.gif

I timed that well. Just read the interview, clicked the link again to get a quote I wanted to post about, and the link doesn't work anymore! ph34r.gif

I'll soldier on without the exact quote. Alex says at some point that they decided no instrumentals would be on this album, something they haven't done for a very long time. Vapor Trails? That didn't have an instrumental, and it certainly wasn't a very long time ago confused13.gif

Maybe, just maybe, they stripped out some of the guitar tracks that had been layered two years ago, and those songs now have a more direct feel...??

Hm, could be? Wonder how that would effect the power of the song? Its a barn burner for sure as is.

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ May 25 2012, 09:56 AM)
I timed that well. Just read the interview, clicked the link again to get a quote I wanted to post about, and the link doesn't work anymore! ph34r.gif

I'll soldier on without the exact quote. Alex says at some point that they decided no instrumentals would be on this album, something they haven't done for a very long time. Vapor Trails? That didn't have an instrumental, and it certainly wasn't a very long time ago confused13.gif

Alex has a goofy memory sometimes. Probably because he doesn't obsess over his own back catalogue like many of their fans do. laugh.gif

But great interview all-around! My enthusiasm for this album just keeps growing and growing.