Artists who made it big

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ May 18 2012, 05:18 AM)
...I love Skrillex.... unsure.gif ph34r.gif

That's ok. You're young and have plenty of time to out grow it wink.gif

Trust me, two or three years from now you won't even remember who he is.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ May 18 2012, 09:09 AM)
I don't think the Grateful Dead was ever big enough to ever be overrated, but I'm not to sure, Garcia died a year after I was born. My father has seen them over 12 times and the closest he got to getting high on their music was the second hand pot. And I enjoy their music too. Now there's three people you know that like the Grateful Dead & don't smoke weed.

If you don't think the Grateful Dead were ever big then you are DEFINITELY high. Their profit on non-music merchandise alone is huge.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 18 2012, 07:05 AM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ May 18 2012, 09:09 AM)
I don't think the Grateful Dead was ever big enough to ever be overrated, but I'm not to sure, Garcia died a year after I was born. My father has seen them over 12 times and the closest he got to getting high on their music was the second hand pot. And I enjoy their music too. Now there's three people you know that like the Grateful Dead & don't smoke weed.

If you don't think the Grateful Dead were ever big then you are DEFINITELY high. Their profit on non-music merchandise alone is huge.

Exactly. I think they invented weed to so that had to rake in the cash for them as well laugh.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 18 2012, 01:58 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 18 2012, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 17 2012, 06:49 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 17 2012, 06:57 AM)
The Grateful Dead is the best American band ever

You never fail to floor me

I can't think of a better one. I'd ask you to name an American band you thought was better than the Dead... but then you probably would. unsure.gif scared.gif tongue.gif

Aerosmith

Van Halen

Kiss

Journey

Eagles

ZZ Top

Guns n Roses

Nirvana

Alice In Chains

Lynard Skynard

Just to name a few. I could name at least a hundred more.

I'm sure you could. I love 78-84 Van Halen and 74-81 Kiss. Some of those other groups have a couple of songs I like, but outside of Skynyrd, nothing I feel like I need to own.

None of those can touch the Dead in terms of lyrical quality and musical depth, not to mention the spawning of an entire sub-culture. By comparison, Van Halen and Kiss were just fun music - nothing wrong with that, but not really in the same league as far as I'm concerned.

Count me in one those who don't think *all* hip hop is bad. I just can't stand most of it these days with a few exceptions like Outkast (and that Big Boi album), Nas and B.o.B..

Otherwise, where is our generation's Biggie,2pac,NWA,Dre,Public Enemy,Beasties,Tribe,De La Soul,Wu-Tang,etc.?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 18 2012, 05:16 PM)
Not that they were THAT big, but none of us should know that man's name or what band he's in. If you don't recognize either, consider yourself BLESSED.

Their cover of Behind Blue Eyes still cries for vengance... 1287.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ May 18 2012, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 18 2012, 05:16 PM)
Not that they were THAT big, but none of us should know that man's name or what band he's in.  If you don't recognize either, consider yourself BLESSED.

Their cover of Behind Blue Eyes still cries for vengance... 1287.gif

Limp Bizkit...something else you can thank Korn for. Those nu metal years were rough.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 18 2012, 10:16 AM)
Not that they were THAT big, but none of us should know that man's name or what band he's in.  If you don't recognize either, consider yourself BLESSED.

I'm blessed. smile.gif

ETA...Maybe not. I googled him. I didn't know he fronted Limp Biscuit, or what ever the f**k they call themselves. Good call. They suck.

Edited by ILSnwdog

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 17 2012, 10:09 AM)
Obvious shit like the Creeds and Nickelbacks.

Dumbed down mom hip hop like the Black Eyed Peas and LMFAO.

Katy Perry. Just because it's pop doesn't mean it has to be dumb. People gave that poor It's Friday girl a hard time, but it wasn't nearly as dumb as that Peacock song.

Korn. People that say their old stuff was good are wrong. There was never anything good there.

goodpost.gif

You nailed it.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 17 2012, 05:57 PM)
I can't fathom why Bon Jovi is as successful as they are. Their success simply baffles me.

goodpost.gif

I've always thought the same thing.

One-trick ponies.

OK, a pretty tight pop-rock band with some great hits...

...but above and beyond that, I really can't understand.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 17 2012, 08:31 PM)
QUOTE (invisible airwave @ May 17 2012, 09:50 AM)
Just about 90-100% of mainstream music of the past decade and a half.

Agreed.

Nirvana, another band who should've never made it big, is to blame for the downfall of modern rock. Kurt's godawful, borderline mentally retarded lyrics and his shitty musicianship lowered the standard for what people consider acceptable in the modern rock world. If you doubt this, just think about it for a second. There was some pretty good stuff that sold well, got played on the radio and charted before Nirvana came and shit all over the modern rock world. Since then, modern rock has slowly gotten worse and worse and it's all because Kurt Cobain influenced the future generation of rock that it was OK to be mediocre. He started the trend and it continues to this day.

Great point about Nirvana. Once they came upon the scene along with the rest of the Grunge sound from the early 90's the great sound of the 80's was blown away and rock has mostly just gown down hill. Esp. true with rock from North America (yes, even Canada). Europe still seems to be holding out and resisting the vile trend (at least to some extent).

Totally agree that modern rock has gotten worse and worse since they appeared on the scene. Started a bad trend which continues to this day.

Nirvana definitely shoulders a huge amount of responsible for the decline and fall of western (musical) civilization. Never should have made it as big and its a real pity they did.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ May 18 2012, 06:27 PM)

Agreed.

Nirvana, another band who should've never made it big, is to blame for the downfall of modern rock. Kurt's godawful, borderline mentally retarded lyrics and his shitty musicianship lowered the standard for what people consider acceptable in the modern rock world. If you doubt this, just think about it for a second. There was some pretty good stuff that sold well, got played on the radio and charted before Nirvana came and shit all over the modern rock world. Since then, modern rock has slowly gotten worse and worse and it's all because Kurt Cobain influenced the future generation of rock that it was OK to be mediocre. He started the trend and it continues to this day.

Great point about Nirvana. Once they came upon the scene along with the rest of the Grunge sound from the early 90's the great sound of the 80's was blown away and rock has mostly just gown down hill. Esp. true with rock from North America (yes, even Canada). Europe still seems to be holding out and resisting the vile trend (at least to some extent).

Totally agree that modern rock has gotten worse and worse since they appeared on the scene. Started a bad trend which continues to this day.

Nirvana definitely shoulders a huge amount of responsible for the decline and fall of western (musical) civilization. Never should have made it as big and its a real pity they did.

What are you talking about? Some of you have short memories. Rock and Roll was dying in the late 80's. It really was hanging on by skin o teeth. I remember a lot of rock artists lamenting the fact. Along comes Nirvana and almost overnight rock music is rejuvenated. No I'm not a Nirvana fan at all and find Cobain to be a weak musician but I have to give credit where credit is due. I was just thankful to have SOME kind of rock back when the charts were being overtaken by pop, hip hop, and country. Is rock dying a slow death again? Once these 70's and 80's icons can no longer tour what's going to happen to what music scene is left? America needs to rediscover what real talent is again.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 18 2012, 08:38 PM)

Agreed.

What are you talking about? Some of you have short memories. Rock and Roll was dying in the late 80's. It really was hanging on by skin o teeth. I remember a lot of rock artists lamenting the fact. Along comes Nirvana and almost overnight rock music is rejuvenated. No I'm not a Nirvana fan at all and find Cobain to be a weak musician but I have to give credit where credit is due. I was just thankful to have SOME kind of rock back when the charts were being overtaken by pop, hip hop, and country. Is rock dying a slow death again? Once these 70's and 80's icons can no longer tour what's going to happen to what music scene is left? America needs to rediscover what real talent is again.

Yeah , Nirvana needed to happen. The Hair Metal scene had made Rock music a complete joke.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 18 2012, 08:38 PM)

Agreed.

Dont worry, i predict that in a couple of years prog rock is gonna be mainstream again, i can feel it in my bones.