Artists who made it big

In an inversion of presto123's thread, let's list bands or artists who made it huge but didn't deserve such a large degree of success. I realize this thread might get a bit contentious as people's favorite artists are called out, so let's keep it civil. wink.gif

A few that immediately come to mind for me:

The Grateful Dead -- Never understood their music... maybe I'm not high enough? It just sounds mediocre to these ears. (Let the flaming begin tongue.gif )

The Rolling Stones -- These guys are good, but honestly, they made it way bigger than they should have. For one a one-trick band, they sure made it a long way. That said, Mick Jagger is an excellent performer and they did have some fabulous songs. They deserve success, but not the godlike status they seem to have achieved.

Skrillex -- This guy has single-handedly ruined dubstep and has made real dubstep producers ashamed to use the once-respectable genre label. Thanks to Skrillex dubstep is now associated with frat-boys and hooligans.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with Grateful Dead. Insert the majority of Rap artists ever signed to a record deal. The dumbing down of music in our culture is as big a shame as the dumbing down of TV. Glad I could inspire this thread. tongue.gif Edited by presto123

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 17 2012, 07:00 AM)
Mick Jagger is an excellent performer and they did have some fabulous songs. They deserve success.

So....they should have made it big, surely?

For me, The Eagles. f**k them. Charlatans and hucksters.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 17 2012, 03:24 AM)
Totally agree with Grateful Dead. Insert the majority of Rap artists ever signed to a record deal. The dumbing down of music in our culture is as big a shame as the dumbing down of TV. Glad I could inspire this thread. tongue.gif

Yes. Let's return to the lyrical genius of "Good golly. Miss Molly, you sure like to ball."

wink.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 17 2012, 12:00 AM)
In an inversion of presto123's thread, let's list bands or artists who made it huge but didn't deserve such a large degree of success. I realize this thread might get a bit contentious as people's favorite artists are called out, so let's keep it civil. wink.gif

The Grateful Dead -- Never understood their music... maybe I'm not high enough? It just sounds mediocre to these ears. (Let the flaming begin tongue.gif )

The Rolling Stones -- These guys are good, but honestly, they made it way bigger than they should have. For one a one-trick band, they sure made it a long way. That said, Mick Jagger is an excellent performer and they did have some fabulous songs. They deserve success, but not the godlike status they seem to have achieved.

Skrillex -- This guy has single-handedly ruined dubstep and has made real dubstep producers ashamed to use the once-respectable genre label. Thanks to Skrillex dubstep is now associated with frat-boys and hooligans.

The Grateful Dead is the best American band ever, and one of my top 5 favorite groups of all time.

Listen to at least a couple of songs on this link and tell me you truly think the group had no talent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ydcjWL79w

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 17 2012, 07:57 AM)
In an inversion of presto123's thread, let's list bands or artists who made it huge but didn't deserve such a large degree of success. I realize this thread might get a bit contentious as people's favorite artists are called out, so let's keep it civil.  wink.gif

The Grateful Dead -- Never understood their music... maybe I'm not high enough? It just sounds mediocre to these ears. (Let the flaming begin  tongue.gif )

The Grateful Dead is the best American band ever, and one of my top 5 favorite groups of all time.

Listen to at least a couple of songs on this link and tell me you truly think the group had no talent:

I have heard plenty of Dead. Anyone who likes these guys also loves the cool10.gif . I have never met a soul who didn't.

This being said, their music is pretty empty to me. Once I almost got into Terrapin Station but it didn't stick. I am currently performing US Blues with a band I am in. It is tolerable but we can't get through it quick enough. Something about their music makes me nauseous...seriously.

Kid Rock, EMinem, Madonna are on the top of my list.

However, Rolling Stones and the Dead I do respect and believe they have earned their fame and fortunes. The third band you mentioned I have never heard of...

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 17 2012, 03:00 AM)
In an inversion of presto123's thread, let's list bands or artists who made it huge but didn't deserve such a large degree of success. I realize this thread might get a bit contentious as people's favorite artists are called out, so let's keep it civil.  wink.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

The Stones are, in some ways, harmed by their longevity. From their inception through Goats Head Soup they were the greatest pure rock and roll band ever, period. Since It's Only Rock and Roll was released in 1974 they have been up (Some Girls, Tattoo You) and arguably down (Dirty Work, Voodoo Lounge). When they really nailed it though (Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash, Brown Sugar) they created songs that are the standards by which all other rock bands are measured.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 17 2012, 06:57 AM)
The Grateful Dead is the best American band ever

You never fail to floor me

Obvious shit like the Creeds and Nickelbacks.

Dumbed down mom hip hop like the Black Eyed Peas and LMFAO.

Katy Perry. Just because it's pop doesn't mean it has to be dumb. People gave that poor It's Friday girl a hard time, but it wasn't nearly as dumb as that Peacock song.

Korn. People that say their old stuff was good are wrong. There was never anything good there.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 17 2012, 05:43 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 17 2012, 07:00 AM)
Mick Jagger is an excellent performer and they did have some fabulous songs. They deserve success.

So....they should have made it big, surely?

For me, The Eagles. f**k them. Charlatans and hucksters.

http://i48.tinypic.com/nczgol.jpg

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 17 2012, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ May 17 2012, 08:13 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 17 2012, 03:00 AM)

no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

The Stones are, in some ways, harmed by their longevity. From their inception through Goats Head Soup they were the greatest pure rock and roll band ever, period. Since It's Only Rock and Roll was released in 1974 they have been up (Some Girls, Tattoo You) and arguably down (Dirty Work, Voodoo Lounge). When they really nailed it though (Satisfaction, Jumpin Jack Flash, Brown Sugar) they created songs that are the standards by which all other rock bands are measured.

goodpost.gif

I'm in complete agreement here. If you don't get why the Stones got as big as they did then you just don't understand what rock n roll is about.

Alright, maybe I was a little hasty with the Rolling Stones. laugh.gif I like them.... I just never understood why they're SOOOO huge.

And no, being born in 1990, I have no clue what rock n roll is about. My generation was weaned on boy-bands and poptronica. wink.gif

Also, my apologies.... this thread is kind of confusing. People can still list artists they like, if they think they are overrated.

All in all, this thread is just an excuse to be negative and cynical. laugh.gif

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ May 17 2012, 10:50 AM)
Just about 90-100% of mainstream music of the past decade and a half. Can't understand how Britney and Katy aren't one hit wonders. Not one song of theirs I like.

I decided not to include super-obvious choices. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 17 2012, 07:57 AM)

The Grateful Dead -- Never understood their music... maybe I'm not high enough? It just sounds mediocre to these ears. (Let the flaming begin  tongue.gif )

I just listened to the first three songs. They're nice! But they don't make me want to listen again. Too mellow and drifty for me. Not hooky enough.

For the record, I USED to be, um, seriously of the herbal persuasion, but I never once got into the Dead. Favorite music for today's leafy green youngsters is largely dominated by alternative hip-hop and dubstep.