Who is a fan of Scars?

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 14 2012, 06:41 PM)
Is that a keyboard bass sound looping in that song?

Regardless, I just love the loopy, propulsive rhythm and awesome atmospheric guitar effects. Alex doing a lot of subtle, crafty stuff in the background with Neil's drums and bongo effects creating such an infectious rhythm. The whole song has this intensity, ambience, tightness, and drive that I just love!

YES! One of the best from Presto. This song is just so mysterious and powerful.

If someone says they don't like this song I disregard all of their other opinions about Rush.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presto is fantastic. Took a while before it "clicked" with me but when it did it did in a big way. Some albums just need more time than others. Definitely in mop top three albums.

My ratings:

Show Don't Tell - 8.5

Chain Lightning - 9.0

The Pass - 9.0

War Paint - 7.5

Scars - 8.5

Presto - 9.5

Superconductor - 6.5 (only weak point on the album)

Anagram - 8.0

Red Tide - 9.0

Hand Over Fist - 8.0

Available Light - 9.0

QUOTE (RUDT @ May 15 2012, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ May 15 2012, 09:04 AM)
Scars is great.  I think I'm among the minority in that I love the entire Presto album!!

we are a strong minority! trink39.gif

bekloppt.gif Count Me In!!! trink39.gif cool10.gif Love the Presto album, not a bad track on it, Superconductor is not a fav but the rest covers that up.

QUOTE (RUDT @ May 15 2012, 11:53 AM)
Scars is great.  I think I'm among the minority in that I love the entire Presto album!!

The Album is much better than most claim it to be, but it did have some weaker tracks there towards the end!

yes.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ May 15 2012, 12:53 PM)

trink39.gif Huge fan of Presto here! bekloppt.gif

You know, it's interesting that you started this thread just now.....

I was listening through my headphones Sunday night after...um.... imbibing some medicinal, and it was amazing!! I mean, I've always loved it (and the entire album) but it really smacked me upside the head this time.

The crazy drumwork (not dubbed, ferpetessake!!), that bass line, the mysterious keyboards. But the stuff Alex was doing was mind-blowing! I listened twice so I could concentrate on just the guitar and he's doing all kinds of stuff - fingerwork, chords, weird things with the strings. Just wild! Gawd but that man is under-rated!! yes.gif

AlexFinal.gif 1022.gif

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 14 2012, 06:48 PM)
Great song! Been listening to Presto a lot recently.... until a month or so ago it was the only Rush album I'd never heard all the way through. Scars is definitely one of the best tracks. I love the "scars of pleasure! scars of pain!" line. Gives me chills.

I love this song too. Every time I encounter an unpleasant memory or situation, or every time that I remember an experience that I totally enjoyed(like meeting the guys on Vapor Trails), I think about this song. Neil has great insight into the human psyche.

Emotion Detector is another song in the same vein, "Sometimes love can change us, but never quite enough, sometimes we're too tender, sometimes we're too tough. If we get too much attention, it gets hard to over-rule, we must throw ourselves wide open to scorn and ridicule"

These songs remind us that we can achieve emotional balance.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 15 2012, 09:18 PM)
It's the best song on Presto...definitely my fav.

Love the bass line, love the lyrics...it's just a fantastic song. Would love to see it live someday! 1022.gif

+1

Best song on Presto for me too.

It feels like a filler song all the way for me on that album, as do many of the later songs, but I still like Scars.

I remember seeing that live when I was 13 years old on that tour with my parents, and I remember them lowering a screen and projecting shapes on it. Never forgot about that after all this time. In fact that and the blow up bunnies are the only 2 things I still remember about that show. And Ive liked Scars ever since.

It's one of those interesting songs where the entire thing is just 1 piece of music where the bassline is the same throughout, it never changes outside of the guitars and some of the textures, but has kind of a cool mystical sound to it. Ill bet that didnt take them more than a couple days to put together. Just goes to show even the simplest songs can be better than something someone spent a month writing tons of parts for. Id rather listen to that than half of Dream Theaters crazy shit they've done.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 1 2012, 10:58 PM)
Scars is great and really stuck out to me the first time I heard it, but my favorite is still Red Tide or Hand Over Fist. Fantastic album though...different, but great!

This

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 1 2012, 03:58 PM)
Scars is great and really stuck out to me the first time I heard it, but my favorite is still Red Tide or Hand Over Fist. Fantastic album though...different, but great!

I absolutely love the lyrics and wordplay in Hand Over Fist, especially the first of these two:

You talk as we walk along

You never imagined I could be so wrong

Humming your favorite song

You know I've hated that song for so long

How can we ever agree?

Like the rest of the world

We grow farther apart

I swear you don't listen to me

Holding my hand to my heart

Holding my fist to my racing heart

The Presto album will always remind me of making the 150 mile weekend road trip to and from college during the winter of 1989-1990. It was pretty much stuck in my car's tape deck at the time. smile.gif

Anyway, I thought it was cool when Neil included the drum part from Scars into his solo for a tour or two.

I love everything about this song. Geddy's voice is perfect, and the lyrics are outstanding...simple but poignant. I wish they'd do this one live.