Which Rush album has gone the longest distance?

Gedneil Alpeart

Power Windows.

Man.... I did not understand that album at all when I first heard it. I was just getting into Rush and was in love with the earlier albums. So Power Windows just sounded bizarre. But over time, I've gotten into more and more synth-based and electronic music, and Power Windows has grown on me to the point where it's now my second favorite Rush album. Love it! wub.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 10 2012, 12:49 PM)
Power Windows.

Man.... I did not understand that album at all when I first heard it. I was just getting into Rush and was in love with the earlier albums. So Power Windows just sounded bizarre. But over time, I've gotten into more and more synth-based and electronic music, and Power Windows has grown on me to the point where it's now my second favorite Rush album. Love it! wub.gif

goodpost.gif

Power Windows.

Same here. Was never much of a fan beyond Big Money and it's grown on me a bunch. Same goes with Hold Your Fire. Those two vie.

Power Windows.

Man.... I did not understand that album at all when I first heard it. I was just getting into Rush and was in love with the earlier albums. So Power Windows just sounded bizarre. But over time, I've gotten into more and more synth-based and electronic music, and Power Windows has grown on me to the point where it's now my second favorite Rush album. Love it!  wub.gif

I hope that happens for me one of these years. I don't dislike Power Windows, but it's my least-favorite Rush record by far.

Going back to the original question, I've never hated any of Rush's albums, but two of them that I came to like quite a bit more than I did initially were Hold Your Fire and Fly By Night.

Chalk up another for Power Windows.

When I first heard it...I simply didn't find anything that I liked about it, and only really listened to The Big Money. I essentially shelved it for a few years after that.

I then took a trip to Europe one Summer and decided to put all Rush albums on cassette tapes ( laugh.gif ) for my walkman to use on my trip.

One day...I went for a walk on the mountain sides of Portugal, and I think it was Marathon and/or Territories that just made me stop and listen. At that second, I "got it". It hit me how great these songs were, and the rest of the trip, I found myself coming back to it.

It is now easily a Top 5 album for me...just amazing how great and flawless this album is. Funny that Big Money at the time, was all I cared for, but consider it my least favourite (though still awesome) on PoW.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 10 2012, 11:49 AM)
Which album that you hated at first and now love, has had the most mileage?

Well, I don't think I hated it, but when Grace Under Pressure came out I just did not get it. I was deep into their proggier albums (AFtK through MP), so the concept of shorter, simpler songs confused me. This was perhaps odd, as I really liked a lot of New Wave at the time, too. I just didn't want Rush to be playing New Wave, I suppose.

Fast forward *mumble* years, and I decided to give post-Signals Rush another shot. I put GUP on my MP3 player and listened to it through, then again. And again. And I couldn't get enough of the album. It is now among my top five Rush albums, and a solid 10.

(I still can't seem to get into PoW, though. Maybe I need another *mumble* years to discover it smile.gif)

-Jane

2.gif

Power Windows. Hated it until 2007, now I really like it. Except Big Money, that song sucks

QUOTE (gudbuytjane @ May 10 2012, 02:43 PM)

Well, I don't think I hated it, but when Grace Under Pressure came out I just did not get it.

I was the same way with this and also Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. I was into harder heavier metal and Rush was going the opposite direction that I was so it took me years to get what these albums were all about. I love 'em now.

Snakes and Arrows. I was always too consumed with their older material than to really give this one a real shot after its release. Initially I didn't really like it, but I can easily say it's grown on me in the past couple years.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 10 2012, 08:22 PM)
At the risk of going along, Power Windows, particularly Side 2.. really did not care for those songs AT ALL and later grew to really like them.

Also, I would argue that Geddy's voice was at its BEST on that album..

I've always felt that geddy sounds best on power windows and hold your fire.

To answer the question, power windows was terrible to me the first time I heard it.

I liked Power Windows upon its release, but revisiting it say 12 years ago, I now love it. Didn't care much for HYF or Presto, but now I at least dig those albums. Never hated a Rush album.

Caress of Steel has done the most growing on me of any album, mostly due to an increasing love for The Fountain Of Lamneth. Snakes & Arrows has done some growing on me too, but not like COS has. Edited by 1 of the 7

Caress Of Steel, A Farewell To Kings, Hold Your Fire and Test For Echo all took some time to grow on me. I like them all fine now and the passage of time has made them better. I could say the same for some songs as well, but there are a few that I will probably never be in love with.

Counterparts actually took me the longest to get into. And Vapor Trails. On first listen I liked maybe 3 of the songs on CP and now I love the whole album. With Vapor Trails I only liked Earthshine on first listen, and now I love a bunch of the songs...Still some on it that need more time though.