Moving Pictures

Gedneil Alpeart

I got seriously into Rush in the spring of 1984 when I bought GUP on a whim and went from not owning a single album to having them all up to that point by the end of that year so I could basically absorb all of those as new albums at the same time. Moving Pictures is obviously great but during that discovery period I never thought of it as being any higher than the middle of the bunch and it's still not in my top 5. I have nothing against it at all, I love it, it just shows how many great albums I think they have. I'm sure I heard Tom Sawyer in 1981 when I was 12/13 but I just hadn't gotten to where I was really into music by that time so it didn't make much of an impact.

The day it came out, got it right after school. I then taped it for my Walkman laugh.gif I think i listened to it everyday until the summer

I'm sure I'd been hearing the songs on the radio or from my brother and sister right along, but I distinctly remember being about 9-10 years old watching MTV and the Limelight video came on. While I'd heard Rush right along, this was the first time I saw what they looked like. I remember Geddy holding his headphones on his head and thinking that his facial expressions while he was singing were as sweet as his voice sounded "those who wish tooo be-ee-ee must puuuut aside the alienation..." etc.

I should have known this was going somewhere someday...I curse getting sidetracked for so long in the 90's and 00's especially.

I swear to god, you guys are going to think I'm making this up...

The first time I heard Moving Pictures was at my friend Ray's house in 1989. I know this was the year because I told him that I saw an ad in a magazine for ASOH, but I didn't know who Rush was, so I asked if he did. He did. The only thing he had was Moving Pictures on cassette, so he put it in.

I *hated* it.

I got through Tom Sawyer and part of Limelight, I think.

A year or so later, I was on a ski trip in Canada and on the way up there, we stopped somewhere... some rest stop or truck stop or something. They had a meager selection of tapes for people that needed something on the road and on a whim I bought Presto. Fell in love with it instantly. I was a Rush fan from that point on. I even learned to like Moving Pictures (though I never thought Tom Sawyer was as great as people make it out to be).

Edited by danielmclark

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 8 2012, 08:22 PM)
I swear to god, you guys are going to think I'm making this up...

The first time I heard Moving Pictures was at my friend Ray's house in 1989. I know this was the year because I told him that I saw an ad in a magazine for ASOH, but I didn't know who Rush was, so I asked if he did. He did. The only thing he had was Moving Pictures on cassette, so he put it in.

I *hated* it.

I got through Tom Sawyer and part of Limelight, I think.

A year or so later, I was on a ski trip in Canada and on the way up there, we stopped somewhere... some rest stop or truck stop or something. They had a meager selection of tapes for people that needed something on the road and on a whim I bought Presto. Fell in love with it instantly. I was a Rush fan from that point on. I even learned to like Moving Pictures (though I never thought Tom Sawyer was as great as people make it out to be).

I'm honestly not shocked at all. I've heard similar stories with just about all their albums. I basically described a similar thing with me only with GUP instead of Presto. A lot of old fans just don't seem to realize that all of Rush's albums are capable of making new fans if they'll just get a chance to hear them. And even if older fans end up hating CA I guarantee you there's some young kids who will get it and think it's the best thing ever, become Rush fans, and they'll never have the same warm fuzzies about something like A Farewell to Kings as the people who grew up with it. Of course it won't happen on the scale of Moving Pictures but that has more to do with the fact that that kind of melodic hard rock just hasn't been mainstream for decades now. There's simply far less opportunity for exposure to it.

It's how I got into Rush. I was a sophomore in high school and started hanging out with a couple of seniors that drove around all the time drinking beer, cool10.gif , and listening to MP. I'm not joking. The only thing they EVER listened to was MP. Although this was when it first came out, looking back it is incredibly crazy that this was the only music they would listen to. Apparently, before MP came out it was 2112 and then they switched. Fortunately, I liked it and got their whole catalog from Columbia House.

On it's release, my friend picked it up and had me over. I instantly loved it, and was amazed at the perfect tone of Neil's drums, the fullness of Alex's guitar, the warmth of Geddy's bass. Tom Sawyer's opening sound awed, Barchetta inspired, YYZ amazed, Camera Eye enthralled.

Then the opening noises of the second song on side 2 started. Instantly I said, "Sounds like a witch hunt. What's this one called?"

As a sophomore in high school, I loved the message, of course.

Vital Signs was a grower for me. A bit light after the endless rocking of the other tracks. Fun fade out... Love it to death now.

Anyone in the market for a worn-out vinyl copy?

I bought the record as a college freshman in 1983 and was soooo into it- listened to it ad nauseum. Still have my original LP and after at least 25 moves in 4 states, it is still in great shape smile.gif.

I was 12 years old in 1981 and I remember hearing the songs from side 1 played incessantly on the radio. I was PROBABLY at my best friend Robbie DeNoto's house at the time the first time listening with him to the radio. I was immediately completely blown away by them. I don't know if he got the cassette first or if I did, but it was likely one of those Columbia 12 tapes for the price of 1 deals, where you buy some at full price later. I was an INSTANT FAN. All four of those songs are perfection.

Unfortunately, I had just missed the tour, and hadn't started going to concerts yet anyway, but by the time Signals came along, I had all their back catalog and go to see them on the Signals tour as my 3rd ever rock concert. Ah, memories! wub.gif

Edited by rushgoober

My future Hubby and our roommate and I went to Tower Records the day it was released. We brought it back home, prepared ourselves cool10.gif and sat down to listen. We were floored! I remember little moments - the drum fills on Tom Sawyer, the bass harmonics on YYZ - when we'd look at one another with open-mouthed awe. Our roommate was a drummer and he couldn't wait to start learning those drum parts: he took the album back into his drum room after we'd listened through it and went to work. It went back and forth between the living room stereo and his drum room stereo for a few weeks. By then, he'd got the drum parts down - really! cool.gif

I remember that 2 friends asked me to join them for a rock concert the same evening. When I heard it's Rush I instantly rushed home to ask my parents for green light (I was 14 at the time). They didn't let me go and so I sat down in my room and listened to the new Album (Moving Pictures) the whole evening, dreaming of the show that took place at the same time. 2 years later I received 'Signals from Rush'! Aahh, bitter sweet memories...

Had to be early '82.

I remember hearing Tom Sawyer a lot in '81 when I was in 8th grade and loving it and then MTV came out and they used to play 2.gif a lot.

2112 was the first record of theirs I owned.

Since I loved the stuff I'd seen on MTV from the Exit...Stage Left concert I bought MP in early '82. Loved it especially Red Barchetta....What a great record.

I was eight years old. My brother had recorded the album onto a cassette, and I remember seeing that cassette with his handwriting on it and thinking to myself, hey, that's a new Rush album. He had introduced me to the band with 2112, Fly By Night, and Permanent Waves over the past couple of years before...but anyway...I remember his handwriting on the cassette made it look like the name of the album was 'Moving Pictunes'. Hahahaha...

The first time I heard it, even at that young age, I was blown away. Every song is a classic.

It was the spring of '83 (so actually, Signals had already come out), and I was ending my geeky freshman year of high school. We were at a friend's house, because the friend had cable TV and we (my sister and I) didn't. There was this popular new thing called MTV that everyone was wild for.

Watching MTV at this friend's house, a sound jumped out of the television speakers and bit me on the ass. It was the ESL version of "Tom Sawyer." It was complex music, heavier than what I normally listened to, and I viscerally liked the idea that I was being a "bad boy" by gravitating towards "dangerous" heavy metal. The singer, a guy with long hair who looked like a witch, was singing (practically speaking) in this laid-back, non-chalant way; low affect, low energy... and that contributed to how "dark" but also "cool" I thought this band was. "A modern day warrior, mean mean stride..."

That was the moment that started it all for me. I'm one of those Rush baby-boomers, who came aboard with "Tom Sawyer" like so many others. Soon after that evening, I appropriated my older brother's copy of Moving Pictures; I listened to it all summer, while sitting on my roof. Before school began in the fall, I bought my own copy of MP, and by February 1985 I had the band's entire catalog.

Rush was a long-term love affair which paid dividends I can't entirely measure. They've educated me, set a good example for living with personal integrity, introduced me to the world of quality music, welcomed me into an elite "cult" (family) of loyal followers, wowed me, and entertained me.

The irony about that first moment: one of the things that caused me to gravitate to Rush was my perception that they were "bad boys," playing that dangerous Heavy Metal. I liked that! I soon learned that they were actually GOOD GUYS, who weren't about "sex and drugs," were intellectual, quiet and unassuming, loyal to their wives, etc. And although that was contrary to my initial impression of them, I liked that, too! You could conceivably explain them to your parents and allay their fears about this "dangerous" stuff you liked.

Edited by GeddyRulz

February 1981. I was already a fan. I had Permanent Waves and All The World's A Stage. I may have owned 2112 or only just heard it. I heard Limelight on the radio first. I was fifteen and didn't drive yet so my friend and I waited until Saturday and walked to the mall and got the vinyl. When I first put it on the turn table and Tom Sawyer came on I was just floored. The entire first side was so good I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Side two started with the Camera Eye and I was blown away again.

The feeling I got from listening to Moving Pictures the first time was similar to the first time I heard Fragile and Close To Edge by Yes or In The Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson. Or... name your own personal great albums from your teenage years. When you have that first listen and it is that good you never forget it.

I got into Rush when Presto came out. I was 15. I loved "Show Don't Tell"...went out and bought the record...then a guy down the street let me borrow 2112 and Hemispheres on CD and I dubbed them to cassette. My uncle let me borrow Rush, Fly By Night and Carress of Steel on VINYL...and I dubbed them...then about a month after that my ex-Girlfriend invited me to a party (parents out of town). She had Moving Pictures on cassette. While everyone else was drinking and "partying" i was sitting in front of the tape play, headphones on listening to it over and over again...then I borrowed it and never saw her again new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (myturn2drive @ May 9 2012, 09:03 AM)
I got into Rush when Presto came out. I was 15. I loved "Show Don't Tell"...went out and bought the record...then a guy down the street let me borrow 2112 and Hemispheres on CD and I dubbed them to cassette. My uncle let me borrow Rush, Fly By Night and Carress of Steel on VINYL...and I dubbed them...then about a month after that my ex-Girlfriend invited me to a party (parents out of town). She had Moving Pictures on cassette. While everyone else was drinking and "partying" i was sitting in front of the tape play, headphones on listening to it over and over again...then I borrowed it and never saw her again new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

OMG PIRACY!!! tongue.gif lol

Sometime around 75 or 76, I was 10 or 11 and living in Montreal at the time. I have vague memories of seeing this band with hair, and funky clothes, and yikes what's that voice on TV (may have been the Juno awards??). It made no real impression on me whatsoever other than "hair, clothes, voice".

Fast forward to Moving Pictures. Hanging out in my friend's bedroom and he tells me that I have to listen to this band, especially the drummer. I played along, but still wasn't immediately taken with it (I know, what was wrong with me, right?). It took several months and seeing them in the Glens Falls Civic Center on the MP tour to finally get it...and I never looked back.

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ May 9 2012, 11:20 AM)
It took several months and seeing them in the Glens Falls Civic Center on the MP tour to finally get it...and I never looked back.

My first Rush concert, and first concert EVER, was also in Glens Falls Civic Center... but not until P/G.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 9 2012, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ May 9 2012, 11:20 AM)
It took several months and seeing them in the Glens Falls Civic Center on the MP tour to finally get it...and I never looked back.

My first Rush concert, and first concert EVER, was also in Glens Falls Civic Center... but not until P/G.

Hey - I was at that concert too! Had nice seats right next to the Zamboni entrance, side closer to the stage. That was a great show. Crappy sound at the old GFCC, but a nice small venue that brought in some big name acts before Albany got their arena.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (myturn2drive @ May 9 2012, 09:03 AM)
I got into Rush when Presto came out.  I was 15. I loved "Show Don't Tell"...went out and bought the record...then a guy down the street let me borrow 2112 and Hemispheres on CD and I dubbed them to cassette.  My uncle let me borrow Rush, Fly By Night and Carress of Steel on VINYL...and I dubbed them...then about a month after that my ex-Girlfriend invited me to a party (parents out of town).  She had Moving Pictures on cassette.  While everyone else was drinking and "partying" i was sitting in front of the tape play, headphones on listening to it over and over again...then I borrowed it and never saw her again new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

OMG PIRACY!!! tongue.gif lol

I know right! I hope the FBI isn't monitoring this forum 653.gif