The Avengers

GeddyLeefan2112

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ May 9 2012, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (Tick @ May 9 2012, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 9 2012, 08:33 AM)
QUOTE (Tick @ May 9 2012, 07:26 AM)
QUOTE (Alex @ May 7 2012, 01:47 PM)
Loved the movie.

But Marvel sucks

Go DC laugh.gif

Alex, I understand you loving Batman, but seriously, how can you even remotely compare Marvel to DC?

DC has Batman. What else do they have?

Marvel has the X Men, Spiderman, The Avengers, and all its members individually.

What does DC have to offer? Green Lantern? Superman?

C'mon, its no contest.

:pepsi

Might be no contest now but who doesn't love Chris Reeves' Superman?

He plays the part like RDJ plays Iron Man, perfectly cast.

Yeah, but your talking about an actor in a Hollywood movie, not two rival comic book empires.

Reeves and Downey Jr. were both awesome in their movies.

That has nothing to do with an argument comparing Marvel to DC.

Marvel is far superior to DC and its hard to dispute.

no, it's not...

by definition of all superheroes, superman could kill ALL of them. are you saying wolverine could kill superman? or green lantern? no f***ing way.

Honestly? Superman is way overrated. I could name a dozen characters off the top of my head that could kill him instantly were they willing to do so.

Start with Firestorm. At the speed of thought, he could create a lump of kryptonite the size of a Buick before Superman could touch him - whatever color kryptonite strips him of his powers in current continuity. Then, Firestorm encases him in an airless steel bubble, killing him.

Superman is weak against magic. Anyone from Zatanna to Dr. Fate to the Spectre has the upper hand against him.

Thor can go toe-to-toe with him, and if he could knock Supes down and lay his hammer on his chest, he wouldn't be able to get up. After a while, he'd starve to death.

Professor X could shut his brain down. Jean Grey could, too. As could any number of high-level psychics.

Deadshot, Deathstroke, and other supreme marksman could kill him with a kryptonite bullet. Without someone to assist in getting it out of him (like Batman had to do once), he'd be a goner.

Nightcrawler could kill him. It would be suicide, but he could teleport Superman into something solid.

Franklin Richards could kill him because Franklin Richards.

The Phoenix, whoever it is this week, could totally kill Superman. That's not even a contest.

Thanos, in possession of certain infinity gems, could absolutely kill Superman.

Kitty Pryde could kill Superman. She could phase and object through him and turn it solid - a variation of the Nightcrawler scenario.

Mr. Mxyzptlk could kill him with the snap of his fingers by transporting him into the heart of a red sun.

This is fun. Who else could kill him? Let's get creative tongue.gif

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/image_film/MysteryMen_04.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of business model and cash cows, then I suppose I would have to agree with you, tick. They are more successful in that regard.

However, I always found that I was able to take A LOT more away from DC characters and stories than I could from Marvel. Watchmen and Batman have spoken volumes of philosophy and morals to me and I can find myself thinking about the plots and analyzing the characters for days.

With Marvel, I find that the characters don't speak to me as much and lack depth. Either that or their problems don't necessarily strike me or have me relate. It's not like I'm an elitist, I'm not going to sit here and say I HATE EVERYTHING MARVEL, but I definitely like DC way better.

I don't care about Spiderman's girlfriend problems and the unrealistic out of this-world Marvel Avengers' problems. I like the base-root philosophy from Alan Moore in Watchmen and V for Vendetta. I like the deep symbolism of good and evil between the Joker and Batman.

I always bitch about Marvel being to unrealistic and out of this world, but for the record I don't like when DC stretches to that point as well.

And for the record, Superman annoys the hell out of me.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ May 9 2012, 06:17 AM)
QUOTE (Alex @ May 8 2012, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ May 7 2012, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 7 2012, 03:26 PM)
I loved it. Top flight entertainment. And it's funny. But, I didn't walk out of the theater thinking it was the greatest superhero movie of all-time. It's certainly up there, though. Again, I LOVED it.

not sure you can name a better superhero movie broseph...

that was better than supermanII, the dark knight, ANY of the 90's batmans...and either iron man. not sure what you think is better than hulk being hulk, and thor, iron man and cpt america kicking loki's ass...

plus scarlett is beyond hot in this movie.

The Nolan Batmans I find are the best superhero movies out right now.

Better than avengers because.....?

Better directing, better acting.

I find that the Avengers was GREAT on face value, good action and good first time shock and awe. But I've seen it twice now and I know for a fact it's not something that can keep me talking as much as Batman TDK could. Batman movies are better as movies to me on the base levels: plot, directing, acting.

QUOTE (Tick @ May 9 2012, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 12:18 PM)
Loved the movie.

But Marvel sucks

Go DC laugh.gif

Alex, I understand you loving Batman, but seriously, how can you even remotely compare Marvel to DC?

Marvel has the X Men, Spiderman, The Avengers, and all its members individually.

C'mon, its no contest.

Yeah, but your talking about an actor in a Hollywood movie, not two rival comic book empires.

no, it's not...

by definition of all superheroes, superman could kill ALL of them. are you saying wolverine could kill superman? or green lantern? no f***ing way.

Honestly? Superman is way overrated. I could name a dozen characters off the top of my head that could kill him instantly were they willing to do so.

Start with Firestorm. At the speed of thought, he could create a lump of kryptonite the size of a Buick before Superman could touch him - whatever color kryptonite strips him of his powers in current continuity. Then, Firestorm encases him in an airless steel bubble, killing him.

Superman is weak against magic. Anyone from Zatanna to Dr. Fate to the Spectre has the upper hand against him.

Thor can go toe-to-toe with him, and if he could knock Supes down and lay his hammer on his chest, he wouldn't be able to get up. After a while, he'd starve to death.

Professor X could shut his brain down. Jean Grey could, too. As could any number of high-level psychics.

Deadshot, Deathstroke, and other supreme marksman could kill him with a kryptonite bullet. Without someone to assist in getting it out of him (like Batman had to do once), he'd be a goner.

Nightcrawler could kill him. It would be suicide, but he could teleport Superman into something solid.

The Phoenix, whoever it is this week, could totally kill Superman. That's not even a contest.

Kitty Pryde could kill Superman. She could phase and object through him and turn it solid - a variation of the Nightcrawler scenario.

Mr. Mxyzptlk could kill him with the snap of his fingers by transporting him into the heart of a red sun.

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/image_film/MysteryMen_04.jpg

:pepsi:

QUOTE (Alex @ May 9 2012, 11:56 AM)
I loved it. Top flight entertainment. And it's funny. But, I didn't walk out of the theater thinking it was the greatest superhero movie of all-time. It's certainly up there, though. Again, I LOVED it.

that was better than supermanII, the dark knight, ANY of the 90's batmans...and either iron man. not sure what you think is better than hulk being hulk, and thor, iron man and cpt america kicking loki's ass...

I find that the Avengers was GREAT on face value, good action and good first time shock and awe. But I've seen it twice now and I know for a fact it's not something that can keep me talking as much as Batman TDK could. Batman movies are better as movies to me on the base levels: plot, directing, acting.

I'm a much bigger Marvel fan, but I agree that Nolan's Batman's films are the gold standard for comic films. I simply prefer the tone of that kind of film over pure popcorn bliss. I like that...and it's fun...but it's pretty much empty calories and a big sugar high. The Nolan films are more filet than junk food.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 9 2012, 08:59 PM)

I'm a much bigger Marvel fan, but I agree that Nolan's Batman's films are the gold standard for comic films. I simply prefer the tone of that kind of film over pure popcorn bliss. I like that...and it's fun...but it's pretty much empty calories and a big sugar high. The Nolan films are more filet than junk food.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 9 2012, 07:59 PM)

For a certain type of comic book film, maybe. The dark, gritty, humorless kind of comic book film. If Watchmen had been handled with a tenth of the care that Nolan's Bat-films have been, I might have liked it, but that's one of the few other superhero flicks that could stand up to that kind of treatment.

But you can't do any other character like Nolan's Batman, and to me, that means it... well, "fails" is the wrong word. But it simply doesn't hold up as a shining example of how comic book (well, superhero) movies in general should be handled. The Avengers does. You can take virtually any character from Marvel or DC who isn't prefixed with Bat-, and using the pacing, tone and style of the Avengers, have a winning formula.

DC simply does *not* know how to make a movie. Marvel figured it out. DC has a shot with Man of Steel. If that movie fails as badly as Green Lantern did, we can kiss any hope of a DC movie stable goodbye - and if they think they can go dark & gritty with Superman just because it worked for Nolan's Batman... it'll fail.

QUOTE (Alex @ May 10 2012, 01:55 AM)

However, I always found that I was able to take A LOT more away from DC characters and stories than I could from Marvel. Watchmen and Batman have spoken volumes of philosophy and morals to me and I can find myself thinking about the plots and analyzing the characters for days.

With Marvel, I find that the characters don't speak to me as much and lack depth. Either that or their problems don't necessarily strike me or have me relate. It's not like I'm an elitist, I'm not going to sit here and say I HATE EVERYTHING MARVEL, but I definitely like DC way better.

I don't care about Spiderman's girlfriend problems and the unrealistic out of this-world Marvel Avengers' problems. I like the base-root philosophy from Alan Moore in Watchmen and V for Vendetta. I like the deep symbolism of good and evil between the Joker and Batman.

I always bitch about Marvel being to unrealistic and out of this world, but for the record I don't like when DC stretches to that point as well.

I think you haven't read enough Marvel. Read these:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2011/01/14/Marvels.jpg

http://www.marvelessentials.com/marvelhcs/images/origin.jpg

And there's plenty more where that came from. Oh, "Lacking depth"?...go read late 70s-early 80s Marvel stuff from John Byrne. Or read stuff from his X-MEN collaborator Chris Claremont during that same time period.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 10 2012, 01:18 AM)
Loved the movie.

But Marvel sucks

Go DC laugh.gif

C'mon, its no contest.

no, it's not...

You thought about this way too much. Besides, with prep time Batman can beat anyone. tongue.gif

P.S. How could you have forgotten Silver Surfer from your list? unsure.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 10 2012, 01:28 AM)
You thought about this way too much. Besides, with prep time Batman can beat anyone. tongue.gif

I've been a comic book reader for almost 30 years; how many times do you think I've had the "who can beat Superman?" discussion? biggrin.gif

I actually don't know much about Silver Surfer. Herald for Galactus, basically naked dude on a surfboard in space... that's about it. Never really tried to get into the character.

...but he could probably beat Superman, too wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 10 2012, 02:12 AM)
QUOTE (Alex @ May 10 2012, 01:55 AM)

I think you haven't read enough Marvel. Read these:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2011/01/14/Marvels.jpg

http://www.marvelessentials.com/marvelhcs/images/origin.jpg

And there's plenty more where that came from. Oh, "Lacking depth"?...go read late 70s-early 80s Marvel stuff from John Byrne. Or read stuff from his X-MEN collaborator Chris Claremont during that same time period.

Read them tongue.gif

I know what you're saying, but like I said above: I suppose it's more about the fact that I can relate to the two DC stories I mentioned above.

At the end of the day, maybe I'm no comic book fan/geek at all. Maybe Batman, Watchmen and V for Vendetta did something for me to link me into the comic book world but never attach me. Who knows.

To add:

Yes I know that there have been stories which have depth from Marvel, I'm just saying that I have personally found more depth and more character in Batman etc.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 10:56 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 9 2012, 07:59 PM)

But you can't do any other character like Nolan's Batman, and to me, that means it

The Avengers does You can take virtually any character from Marvel or DC who isn't prefixed with Bat-, and using the pacing, tone and style of the Avengers, have a winning formula.

And those reasons are two of my main reasons why I DON'T like the Marvel films and why I like Batman better.

QUOTE (Alex @ May 10 2012, 07:21 AM)
To add:

Yes I know that there have been stories which have depth from Marvel, I'm just saying that I have personally found more depth and more character in Batman etc.

There have been a *lot* of great Batman stories. I absolutely loved A Death in the Family (and not because I hated Jason Todd, because I didn't read enough Batman at the time to care one way or another about Todd). A Lonely Place of Dying was also great - it was a crossover with Teen Titans (Nightwing, mostly) and the introduction of Tim as the third Robin. Those two are off the beaten path a bit - they don't get the hype that Dark Knight Returns or The Killing Joke get, but I actually like them better than those more popular stories.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 10 2012, 02:28 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 10 2012, 01:18 AM)
Loved the movie.

But Marvel sucks

Go DC laugh.gif

C'mon, its no contest.

no, it's not...

There's a load more Marvel people that could beat Superman, too many to mention.

Just got back from seeing it.... IMPRESSIVE. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Definitely qualifies for a Blu-ray purchase. I was thoroughly entertained.

Loved the fact that the Avengers were NOT all buddy-buddy.....superheroes have super-egos, which naturally cause trouble for everyone.... laugh.gif laugh.gif Every character was good, although I would have preferred Edward Norton's Bruce Banner. Mark Ruffalo was OK, but his insecure, can't-look-anyone-in-the-eye demeanor was slightly annoying. Very slightly. Tom Hiddleston makes a fantastic Loki; his sniveling weasel personality was great. Glad to see Stark and Pepper Potts finally RELAX and enjoy each other.... laugh.gif laugh.gif Their hyper-tense, never-shut-up relationship was getting old.

The best part of the show was how the audience in my theater actually APPLAUDED.... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif .....completely bizzaro in my meek, not-so-boisterous area. No one applauds after a film.....until now! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Well, for Mother's Day my Hubby and daughter took me to see this. That should tell you a LOT about me and my family wink.gif

Absolutely LOVED it!! I am a huge fan of Joss Whedon and he didn't disappoint. The dialogue bore his signature, no doubt. I love RJD, too. Iron Man is THE role for him. Really, I thought all the actors were great choices. Tom Hiddleston avoids the mustache-twirling while still chewing the scenery: he plays Loki perfectly. I just loved all of the characters. I have not seen the Capt. America movie but I will now.

I think my favorite scenes were the ones between Loki and Tony and Loki and the Hulk. Also, it was so cool to see Harry Dean Stanton make a cameo! You guys admired Scarlet's....um... assets? Well, we ladies had a lot to admire, too. Holy crap!

We will definitely be getting this on Blu-Ray when it comes out yes.gif

Now I will let you boys get back to your comic geek debate. Me, I like both DC and Marvel but I only still buy a handful of comics: The Dark Tower, Buffy, Batgirl and Dr. Who. tongue.gif

Edited by HowItIs

I saw it yesterday and I pronounce it awesome. It was a lot of fun and I loved the 3D. There is a lot of source material to use in making Marvel movies. If they stick close to the original comics the movies should continue to be great.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 14 2012, 03:46 AM)
Well, for Mother's Day my Hubby and daughter took me to see this. That should tell you a LOT about me and my family wink.gif

Absolutely LOVED it!! I am a huge fan of Joss Whedon and he didn't disappoint. The dialogue bore his signature, no doubt. I love RJD, too. Iron Man is THE role for him. Really, I thought all the actors were great choices. Tom Hiddleston avoids the mustache-twirling while still chewing the scenery: he plays Loki perfectly. I just loved all of the characters. I have not seen the Capt. America movie but I will now.

I think my favorite scenes were the ones between Loki and Tony and Loki and the Hulk. Also, it was so cool to see Harry Dean Stanton make a cameo! You guys admired Scarlet's....um... assets? Well, we ladies had a lot to admire, too. Holy crap!

We will definitely be getting this on Blu-Ray when it comes out yes.gif

Now I will let you boys get back to your comic geek debate. Me, I like both DC and Marvel but I only still buy a handful of comics: The Dark Tower, Buffy, Batgirl and Dr. Who. tongue.gif

I took the wife and kids for Mother's Day as well. Kids enjoyed it. I actually fell asleep about five times. biggrin.gif

I enjoyed the battle between Black Widow and Hawk, and the Hulk was great. CapAm was solid, too.

I have not seen the Capt. America movie but I will now.

You should, I think it's #2 right behind Iron Man for the best of the pre-Avengers movies.

I saw Avengers again last Saturday night, only this time in 3D. I'm not a huge 3D fan anymore, but it was actually worth it. Still couldn't hear what Hulk said after his "fight" with Loki though, everybody goes nuts for that part in the theater.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 17 2012, 07:46 AM)
I have not seen the Capt. America movie but I will now.

You should, I think it's #2 right behind Iron Man for the best of the pre-Avengers movies.

I saw Avengers again last Saturday night, only this time in 3D. I'm not a huge 3D fan anymore, but it was actually worth it. Still couldn't hear what Hulk said after his "fight" with Loki though, everybody goes nuts for that part in the theater.

Puny god.