The Avengers

GeddyLeefan2112

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 7 2012, 03:26 PM)
I loved it. Top flight entertainment. And it's funny. But, I didn't walk out of the theater thinking it was the greatest superhero movie of all-time. It's certainly up there, though. Again, I LOVED it.

not sure you can name a better superhero movie broseph...

that was better than supermanII, the dark knight, ANY of the 90's batmans...and either iron man. not sure what you think is better than hulk being hulk, and thor, iron man and cpt america kicking loki's ass...

plus scarlett is beyond hot in this movie.

QUOTE (Tick @ May 7 2012, 07:03 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 7 2012, 07:40 AM)
I'd have traded Hawkeye (total bore) and Black Widow (certainly better) for The Vision and Scarlet Witch.  Just sayin'...

The movie broke a domestic record for opening day weekend in the $200K range!

Scarlet Johanson's butt in 3D alone made her worthy of being in the film. 1022.gif tongue.gif

her face and titties aren't bad either...

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ May 7 2012, 06:57 PM)
I loved it. Top flight entertainment. And it's funny. But, I didn't walk out of the theater thinking it was the greatest superhero movie of all-time. It's certainly up there, though. Again, I LOVED it.

that was better than supermanII, the dark knight, ANY of the 90's batmans...and either iron man. not sure what you think is better than hulk being hulk, and thor, iron man and cpt america kicking loki's ass...

The Nolan Batmans I find are the best superhero movies out right now.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 5 2012, 08:09 AM)
At the risk of sounding like shameless self-promoter... we're doing an Avengers-based episode of my Geek Dads Weekly podcast on Tuesday. It's a 3-person discussion format, we'll be talking about the movie for pretty much the whole hour. We broadcast live at 2pm Eastern at QAQN and it will be up on YouTube and iTunes after that.

There's a chat room, so anyone that wants to talk about the movie with us can participate smile.gif

That's today smile.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ May 8 2012, 08:45 AM)

I agree that they are superb, but it's hard to compare. The Batman movies are way more serious and dark. Hard to compare to Avengers simply due to the difference in presentation. Avengers is a light action movie with lots of humor, bright colors... I think it's like comparing apples to oranges, but I thoroughly enjoy both.

TDK is a great film, I love it, but it doesn't exactly feel like Batman. More like a good crime movie with Batman in it. Batman Begins felt a lot closer in mood and atmosphere to the comics. TDKR doesn't really give me that true Batman vibe either based on the trailers, but I'm sure it'll be good.

The Avengers is just a great time and exceeds what I thought they would do, while staying true to the mood of the comics.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 8 2012, 12:50 PM)
TDK is a great film, I love it, but it doesn't exactly feel like Batman. More like a good crime movie with Batman in it.

That's what Batman originally started as. A detective. There was more detective work and mind twists in TDK than in Batman Begins.

Keep in mind also that the series is planned for the moods it takes you through.

That's another thing people also forget about the new James Bond series too.

QUOTE (Alex @ May 8 2012, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 8 2012, 12:50 PM)
TDK is a great film, I love it, but it doesn't exactly feel like Batman. More like a good crime movie with Batman in it.

That's what Batman originally started as. A detective. There was more detective work and mind twists in TDK than in Batman Begins.

That's what I've always actually liked about Batman. He has no super powers, he's just smart.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 01:26 AM)
At the risk of sounding like shameless self-promoter... we're doing an Avengers-based episode of my Geek Dads Weekly podcast on Tuesday. It's a 3-person discussion format, we'll be talking about the movie for pretty much the whole hour. We broadcast live at 2pm Eastern at QAQN and it will be up on YouTube and iTunes after that.

There's a chat room, so anyone that wants to talk about the movie with us can participate smile.gif

That's today smile.gif

Too bad I can't see the movie until August. I'm sure I'd have a lot to say during your discussion.

Oh, all this talk about Downey being funny and Scarlett's rump & rack being awesome, but what about Hawkeye? What'd you think of that portrayal (he is one of your favorite superhero characters after all yeah?)?

QUOTE (Alex @ May 8 2012, 08:45 AM)

Better than avengers because.....?

QUOTE (Alex @ May 7 2012, 01:47 PM)
Loved the movie.

But Marvel sucks

Go DC laugh.gif

Alex, I understand you loving Batman, but seriously, how can you even remotely compare Marvel to DC?

DC has Batman. What else do they have?

Marvel has the X Men, Spiderman, The Avengers, and all its members individually.

What does DC have to offer? Green Lantern? Superman?

C'mon, its no contest.

:pepsi

QUOTE (Tick @ May 9 2012, 07:26 AM)
Loved the movie.

But Marvel sucks

Go DC laugh.gif

Alex, I understand you loving Batman, but seriously, how can you even remotely compare Marvel to DC?

Marvel has the X Men, Spiderman, The Avengers, and all its members individually.

C'mon, its no contest.

Might be no contest now but who doesn't love Chris Reeves' Superman?

He plays the part like RDJ plays Iron Man, perfectly cast.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 9 2012, 03:56 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 01:26 AM)

That's today smile.gif

Too bad I can't see the movie until August. I'm sure I'd have a lot to say during your discussion.

Oh, all this talk about Downey being funny and Scarlett's rump & rack being awesome, but what about Hawkeye? What'd you think of that portrayal (he is one of your favorite superhero characters after all yeah?)?

Hawkeye was good. The question "what use is a guy with a bow & arrow" is answered very, very well.

That said, this isn't the Hawkeye I've liked so much over the years. This is Ultimate Hawkeye. Main Marvel Universe - 616 - Hawkeye has a much better sense of humor, is more outgoing and less serious. All the other characters (except Nick Fury) are 616-based, so it's (intellectually) a little odd, but it works really well on-screen.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 9 2012, 08:33 AM)
Loved the movie.

But Marvel sucks

Go DC laugh.gif

C'mon, its no contest.

Yeah, but your talking about an actor in a Hollywood movie, not two rival comic book empires.

Reeves and Downey Jr. were both awesome in their movies.

That has nothing to do with an argument comparing Marvel to DC.

Marvel is far superior to DC and its hard to dispute.

QUOTE (Tick @ May 9 2012, 07:57 AM)
Loved the movie.

But Marvel sucks

Go DC laugh.gif

C'mon, its no contest.

Yeah, but your talking about an actor in a Hollywood movie, not two rival comic book empires.

I'm with you on this. Growing up, I was a DC kid. Stuck with them until the 90's, when I thought Marvel was doing some interesting things (briefly) and then I was into Vertigo for the rest of the decade. I tried going back to DC in the 2000's, but I always felt like I was reading those titles out of childhood loyalty and not because they were better than what Marvel was doing. In the latter half of the 2000's, I went to Marvel (starting with Civil War) and I realized what I'd been missing.

Only recently did I give up on comics altogether because $3.99 each doesn't make a whole ton of sense put up against paying for my kid's school activities or my wife's organic food kick.

But I do still read the occasional thing online, and Marvel is still beating the crap out of DC. Hands down.

Saw it last night, great movie and a lot of fun!

QUOTE (Tick @ May 9 2012, 08:57 AM)
Loved the movie.

But Marvel sucks

Go DC laugh.gif

C'mon, its no contest.

no, it's not...

by definition of all superheroes, superman could kill ALL of them. are you saying wolverine could kill superman? or green lantern? no f***ing way.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ May 9 2012, 11:43 AM)
Loved the movie.

But Marvel sucks

Go DC laugh.gif

C'mon, its no contest.

no, it's not...

by definition of all superheroes, superman could kill ALL of them. are you saying wolverine could kill superman? or green lantern? no f***ing way.

Are you going all comic book nerd on me?

My point is not which hero can beat up another. My point is, Marvel has the better characters, and much more successful business model.

This isn't about who Superman can beat up.

Marvel has...Ironman, Spiderman, Wolverine, Hulk, Thor, Captain America. All big money makers.

DC has, Batman, and Superman. That's about it.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ May 9 2012, 09:43 AM)
Loved the movie.

But Marvel sucks

Go DC laugh.gif

C'mon, its no contest.

no, it's not...

Honestly? Superman is way overrated. I could name a dozen characters off the top of my head that could kill him instantly were they willing to do so.

Start with Firestorm. At the speed of thought, he could create a lump of kryptonite the size of a Buick before Superman could touch him - whatever color kryptonite strips him of his powers in current continuity. Then, Firestorm encases him in an airless steel bubble, killing him.

Superman is weak against magic. Anyone from Zatanna to Dr. Fate to the Spectre has the upper hand against him.

Thor can go toe-to-toe with him, and if he could knock Supes down and lay his hammer on his chest, he wouldn't be able to get up. After a while, he'd starve to death.

Professor X could shut his brain down. Jean Grey could, too. As could any number of high-level psychics.

Deadshot, Deathstroke, and other supreme marksman could kill him with a kryptonite bullet. Without someone to assist in getting it out of him (like Batman had to do once), he'd be a goner.

Nightcrawler could kill him. It would be suicide, but he could teleport Superman into something solid.

Franklin Richards could kill him because Franklin Richards.

The Phoenix, whoever it is this week, could totally kill Superman. That's not even a contest.

Thanos, in possession of certain infinity gems, could absolutely kill Superman.

Kitty Pryde could kill Superman. She could phase and object through him and turn it solid - a variation of the Nightcrawler scenario.

Mr. Mxyzptlk could kill him with the snap of his fingers by transporting him into the heart of a red sun.

This is fun. Who else could kill him? Let's get creative tongue.gif