HF single has officially been out over a day

Lost In Xanadu

Favorite parts?

Least favorite parts?

Most interesting parts?

I love the "I stoke the fires" (or is it "I'll"?) part. Just hits hard and feels perfect to me. My least favorite would be the way "some days were dark" is sung... feels a little disjointed to me.

And, as I said in a different thread... I am interested in the sound in the background starting at 9 seconds, and continuing until at least the 30 second mark (might be longer, but that's as far as I can tell) The same sound returns later in the song, and I imagine it to be the sound of an old timey engine powering an airship. Anyone else have any ideas?

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

The part that's been stuck in my head is the way Ged sings "It didn't always feel that way" - with such power, I've usually been compelled to sort of air-sing along with it. Also loving the bass part right before the guitar solo.

The spoken section through the end of the solo is my single favorite part. That lovely rumbling bass taking the spotlight, the cool (tho' short) wah-drenched solo. I love the spoken section. Very cool.

I've even warmed to the "steel wheels" part, which I initially found a bit plodding and cumbersome. But the vocals hook me, especially Geddy's held out high part at the end of that bit.

I have to agree that the "Some days were dark" part is probably my least favorite part if I had to choose but I don't hate it. It's just not as good as everything else.

Favorite parts?

"I wish that I could live it all aaaaggggggggggggaaaaaaaiinnn!"

"I have stoked the fires..." is also amazing.

I am just loving the hell out of this song.

I love the high notes Ged hits with the 'again'. Gives me chills.

Also, I absolutely love the main riff (0:42). Awesome.

Also, Neil's powerful drumming and Ged's killer bass riffs make for an unbelievable rhythm section.

The only "bad" thing I could say is that I wish that Alex's solo was longer! Would love to see a bad ass 'Working Man' type solo. Maybe in one of the other new songs... 1022.gif

Hmmm... I like the intro, the music in the verses (not the vocals), like the ripping guitar solo and bass breakdown section, and absolutely hate the chorus (big steel wheels). One of my least favorite Rush choruses of all time. Sounds like an S&A chorus leftover to me.

It sounds like something the Beatles would do, 40 years ago. Not a fan at all and it feels incredibly out of place in a song trying to have a hard edge. Completely ruins the flow and sounds like it was written for a different song and just shoehorned into this.

Edited by trenken

Neil has balls in his drumming agian . 3 for 3 with the new stuff

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 25 2012, 11:54 AM)
Hmmm... I like the intro, the music in the verses (not the vocals), like the ripping guitar solo and bass breakdown section, and absolutely hate the chorus (big steel wheels). One of my least favorite Rush choruses of all time. Sounds like an S&A chorus leftover to me.

It sounds like something the Beatles would do, 40 years ago. Not a fan at all and it feels incredibly out of place in a song trying to have a hard edge. Completely ruins the flow and sounds like it was written for a different song and just shoehorned into this.

That is the best part of the whole song 2.gif

Wow! He actually LIKED something of a modern Rush song!! ohmy.gif wink.gif

Who cares what that troll does and doesn't like...

I'm just wondering what the 'ching' sound is during the guitar part at 2:10. It sounds like Mario hitting a box for coins! Loving every second of this song though. That sound is just confusing to me, it's off time and sounds out of place.

The only thing I don't like is Geddy's vocals when he says it "didn't always feeeel that waaaay".

The way Geddy does his vocals in spots kind of irks me. "Some daaaays werrreee darrrrrrrrk". Sort of sounds cheesy to me. But that's my only gripe.

I love the instrumentation on this.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

All of the playing is fantastic, but bass and vocs make this song for me.

The bass playing goes without saying - and while this may not be Ged's most "polished" delivery, he is singing with incredible passion and abandon that seems perfectly suited for the song and it's place in the story, keeping in mind that a lot of shit goes down between BU2B and Headlong Flight

wink.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 25 2012, 04:30 PM)

Wow! He actually LIKED something of a modern Rush song!! ohmy.gif wink.gif

Not really. Only half of one sentence is positive, the rest is all negative. beathorse.gif

The only parts that bother me a little are the "some days were dark" part (it just doesnt sound comfortable, like he could not come up with a decent-sounding way to sing that), and the spoken part (some kind of strange accent that makes him sound like a really fat Redd Foxx) And the "Hey man..." is kinda weird to me. And then after "I would neva trade to-mah-row for today" theres what sounds like a "yeahh"

Aside from those things the song kicks ass smile.gif

I forced two of my friends to listen to the song when it was first available on youtube. Neither of them knew of Rush. One of them asked how old they were (he thought they were in their mid-twenties), and the other asked me if they had two drummers. Based on those questions, I'd say Rush is back in a very good way.

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (Queslington @ Apr 25 2012, 08:26 PM)
I forced two of my friends to listen to the song when it was first available on youtube. Neither of them knew of Rush. One of them asked how old they were (he thought they were in their mid-twenties), and the other asked me if they had two drummers. Based on those questions, I'd say Rush is back in a very good way.

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

NICE!

I just cranked it through my sound system and my partner (who is NOT a fan) got up and slammed his office door shut in protest.

Yeah, Rush are back.

biggrin.gif

Pick it apart? laugh.gif

I love the music - very heavy and the jigging back and forth between the time sigs is Prog heaven. Ged's vocal are, as eshine notes, sung with abandon and are perfect for this song. Love the drums - go, Bubba! - and the guitar solo sounds like old-school Lerxst. Really loving this song! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 25 2012, 11:33 AM)
My least favorite would be the way "some days were dark" is sung... feels a little disjointed to me.

My very favorite part actually is when Geddy sings "some days were dark, ....some nights were briiiiiiiiiiiiiiight"!!

His voice sounds so strong and old school wink.gif

QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Apr 25 2012, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 25 2012, 11:33 AM)
My least favorite would be the way "some days were dark" is sung... feels a little disjointed to me.

My very favorite part actually is when Geddy sings "some days were dark, ....some nights were briiiiiiiiiiiiiiight"!!

His voice sounds so strong and old school wink.gif

I like that part as well. There is just flat out no way Rush can please all the Rush fans with every song. We all have our ideas of which version of Rush we want them to sound like now. wink.gif