HF single has officially been out over a day

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 25 2012, 10:49 AM)
The spoken section through the end of the solo is my single favorite part. That lovely rumbling bass taking the spotlight, the cool (tho' short) wah-drenched solo. I love the spoken section. Very cool.

I love the groove they lock into during that part. I wouldn't have minded that being extended a little longer.

And the line "All the highlights of that headlong flight..." is fun to sing along to.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 25 2012, 11:21 AM)
Also, Neil's powerful drumming and Ged's killer bass riffs make for an unbelievable rhythm section.

yes.gif They both really help to raise the song to a higher level.

The 45-50 second is just classic! All 3 tracks so far have killer intros.

QUOTE (MUSICinTheABsTrAcT @ Apr 25 2012, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 25 2012, 11:33 AM)
My least favorite would be the way "some days were dark" is sung... feels a little disjointed to me.

My very favorite part actually is when Geddy sings "some days were dark, ....some nights were briiiiiiiiiiiiiiight"!!

His voice sounds so strong and old school wink.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 25 2012, 11:09 PM)
I am a huge fan of the weird distorted voice. yes.gif

Me too, BRO!! trink39.gif

Reminds me of Double Agent...

And I love the guitar part at that time...makes me want to headbang!

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Apr 26 2012, 06:10 AM)

Count me in too. Very cool part. Love the guitars underneath it as well. It's a great break before launching into the solo section. Hardly cheesy. Sounds cool to my ears.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 26 2012, 06:36 AM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Apr 26 2012, 06:10 AM)

Count me in too. Very cool part. Love the guitars underneath it as well. It's a great break before launching into the solo section. Hardly cheesy. Sounds cool to my ears.

Yes, I invariably get chills during this section. Love Alex's rockin rhythm guitar work along woth the distorted voice. Hey now! 1022.gif

There's not much I dislike about the song. The verses/choruses are pretty solid and catchy, I especially like the "I stoke the fire...blah blah blah". I'm not overly fond of the vocals in the "Some days were dark..blah blah blah" section, but I really like the guitar sound behind it. The instrumentals make this song. My favorite part is the bass and guitar solo. Neil just jams the whole way through the song. Incredible. I'll have to give it a 9-strips of bacon (out of 10). bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif bacon.gif

When the instrumental section kicks off in the middle, they make it sound like you're about to be shot out of a cannon with that furious paced high hat and guitar riff... but then there's a letdown soon after, when it returns to that kinda slow jimi hendrix chord stuff. Would've been nice if they had maintained that furious pace all the way through.

Other than that, this track kicks @ss! 1022.gif

The chorus is my least favorite. Not because its bad, they just went back to it too much. If they had not gone back to it 2-3 times at the end it would be fine.

Also the chorus gets Vapor Trailey sonically. Gets really distorted in comparison to the rest of song. Not as bad as VT but it pushes it.

My only other complaint is that they cut the stunningly fantastic solo break as short as they did. Is it possible they didn't realize how nearly orgasmic that section is? Or did Ged say, "well enough of that cool stuff, that might get on the radio. I'd rather sing the chorus 3 more times."

Edited by Pound of Obscure

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Apr 26 2012, 08:03 AM)
When the instrumental section kicks off in the middle, they make it sound like you're about to be shot out of a cannon with that furious paced high hat and guitar riff... but then there's a letdown soon after, when it returns to that kinda slow jimi hendrix chord stuff. Would've been nice if they had maintained that furious pace all the way through.

Other than that, this track kicks @ss! 1022.gif

1022.gif