This is cool

Gompers

I received an email from an old friend just now. I thought I'd pass on his words (removing names to protect the innocent):

Hey Rich!! It's nice to hear from you! All ok with me and I hope with you as well! My brother ----- actually told me about the new album "Clockwork Angels" to be released June 12 - he's already heard the whole thing courtesy of his friend Nick Raskulinecz. He told me the whole thing is amazing, and Nick told him that Neil, Alex and Geddy actually consider it one of the best three albums they've ever done :-)

One of the best three albums they've ever done!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 20 2012, 11:09 AM)
I received an email from an old friend just now. I thought I'd pass on his words (removing names to protect the innocent):
Hey Rich!! It's nice to hear from you! All ok with me and I hope with you as well! My brother ----- actually told me about the new album "Clockwork Angels" to be released June 12 - he's already heard the whole thing courtesy of his friend Nick Raskulinecz. He told me the whole thing is amazing, and Nick told him that Neil, Alex and Geddy actually consider it one of the best three albums they've ever done :-)

One of the best three albums they've ever done!

Did they not say this about S&A also ?

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Apr 20 2012, 11:11 AM)
Don't they say that about all their new albums?

Find me someone who does not

Yeah, to be fair...I think artists usually think highly of their newest material. Anything new usually sounds exciting and fresh to an artist, I imagine.

However, one thing I will say is that I'm happy to hear that they feel this way. I believe that as long as the boys continue to love what they do, and continue to be excited by what they are writing and how they are playing, it will hopefully keep them motivated to continue writing and touring!

That to me, is fantastic and encouraging!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 20 2012, 12:15 PM)
Yeah, to be fair...I think artists usually think highly of their newest material. Anything new usually sounds exciting and fresh to an artist, I imagine.

However, one thing I will say is that I'm happy to hear that they feel this way. I believe that as long as the boys continue to love what they do, and continue to be excited by what they are writing and how they are playing, it will hopefully keep them motivated to continue writing and touring!

That to me, is fantastic and encouraging!!  1022.gif

Just spreading what I heard. And yes, artists won't be saying shit like, this record is going to suck. laugh.gif

The release of HF, Caravan, and BU2B do make a strong case for an excellent release. First releases aren't always a case for a strong album, i.e. VT => One Little Victory. But like the previews of SnA which were exciting and fresh, proving to follow with a top notch release, CA I hope fits the bill in similar fashion.

How can you sell it if you say anything other than something along these lines?

BUT glad they are HAPPY cuz this may lead them to go back to the drawing board AGAIN!

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 20 2012, 12:28 PM)
i knew it was just a matter of time until we heard them say something like this or that it's some of the best stuff we've ever done. laugh.gif i like 1 out of 3 songs so far so already it's off pace for being a top 3 album.

They are 3 for 3 with me...so still at 100%.

I guess it's still a possibility for me! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Apr 20 2012, 11:28 AM)
How can you sell it if you say anything other than something along these lines?
BUT glad they are HAPPY cuz this may lead them to go back to the drawing board AGAIN!

it's not they were going to come out and say it's good but not our best now go out and buy the music. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 20 2012, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 20 2012, 12:28 PM)
i knew it was just a matter of time until we heard them say something like this or that it's some of the best stuff we've ever done.  laugh.gif  i like 1 out of 3 songs so far so already it's off pace for being a top 3 album.

They are 3 for 3 with me...so still at 100%.

I guess it's still a possibility for me! biggrin.gif

Same here

I love Rush with as much passion as anyone on the planet.

But I have a hard time believing this will be better than my top 5 of

1)Permanent Waves

2)Hemispheres

3)Moving Pictures

4) Signals

5) Power Windows

No way it happens IMO. That top 5 is carved in stone.

However Snakes and Arrows is in my top 10! So CA could knock that album out. No way it goes above 9 for me......unless they absoltuely knock it out of the park.

Fingers Crossed...I would love nothing more than for this album to be an historic event.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 20 2012, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (Majestyk @ Apr 20 2012, 11:11 AM)
Don't they say that about all their new albums?

Find me someone who does not

The Doobie Brothers hated Minute By Minute so much that they broke up when it was finished. Michael McDonald played it for a friend of his and they both agreed that it wasn't very good. It was only after it became a big hit that they agreed to tour for it.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 20 2012, 08:52 AM)
http://api.ning.com/files/ZOPK0ee4CrT9Y5t9tBNx9IMgXgNTwiWmMmONhAbB3YC589EpyMjiyh5EzBOso-hcWC*UnO9QYqS-pXx4calMKfGhXj9MsFmg/lmao.gif

wow, then the album MUST be great, because Rush have NEVER said this before!

z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif laugh.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif

OMG....LMAO!!!

eyesre4.gif

Calm down.

Interesting - on the flip side, I remember reading an interview with Geddy about the release of Counterparts, and when asked he said something along the lines of:

"it's the best sounding album we've done in a long time, but I would definately have done some things differently"

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Apr 20 2012, 02:42 PM)
For once, I would love for an artist to just be like: our new work is good. Not close to our best, but we had fun making it.

No offense...but you're basically telling the band how they should feel.

Just because YOU don't feel that way about their new albums, doesn't mean that THEY don't.

If I wrote an album, and I legitimately felt that it's one of the best things I've written, no matter how late in my career I'm in, or no matter how awesome my past material is, then I'd say it.

Sure...we can all laugh it off like it's nothing more than a selling point, but if they honestly feel that way, then good for them. I believe their feelings are legit. Furthermore, the first three songs have been aces IMO.

This sounds bogus to me. Even if it is legit, who cares? Geddy, Alex and Neil have dropped some turds in their career, Caress of Steel being the biggest, and they've made some very odd choices here and there, so let's wait to hear it for ourselves and make our own judgments.