is headlong flight a farewell song

limbo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 11:52 AM)
I dont get these topics. Rush cant answer this, so we sure cant. If one of them, god forbid, knock on wood, gets very sick in a year or 2, then yes it's the end. They arent young. If they stay healthy and still have the desire to continue, then no it's not the end.

/topic

fists crying.gif

Fun-killer! angry.gif

waffen093.gif

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 19 2012, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 11:52 AM)
I dont get these topics. Rush cant answer this, so we sure cant. If one of them, god forbid, knock on wood, gets very sick in a year or 2, then yes it's the end. They arent young. If they stay healthy and still have the desire to continue, then no it's not the end.

/topic

fists crying.gif

Fun-killer! angry.gif

waffen093.gif

waffen093.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 19 2012, 08:12 AM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Apr 19 2012, 08:01 AM)
I just really hope it's not a farewell. It kicks so much ass. They still got it.

I agree. In a sense, they're just getting started! laugh.gif They've got such a new life with Nick.

But the album itself got me thinking this could be a Swan Song. Think of what they've done with CA: heavy, hard-rocking, progressive, a concept album... it's like they're giving us core fans everything we've always wanted. Why? Is this a "love letter" to the fans? And perhaps a "going out with a bang"?

Good Post!!!!

I am reminded by your post of something Neil said in Beyond the Lighted Stage about 2112.

He said something to the effect that they were under a lot of pressure to do 2112 in a more commercially acceptable manner and they just said "No we are going to do it our way or not at all. If we go down we are going down fighting, not just rolling over" That's not what he said but it sort of what he said.

This is Rush sort of saying "We are doing our last album the way we want, the way a lot of hardcore fans would like to hear and we don't care what Rolling Stone or the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame think. We are going out our way and just as if 2112 had failed we would have gone down & out our way, now we are going to go out our way, creating & with a bang" and boy does this album appear to have a bang!

I hope its not a farewell album but I have thought for some time that it would be and I think even more now that it will be.

The song and video imply it to me.

The more I think about it, "We Hold On" sounds farewell-ish.. a bit, but that's prolly just me trying to convince myself that it's not a farewell song.

QUOTE (Queslington @ Apr 19 2012, 06:24 PM)
There's two reasons why I don't think it's a farewell song (although I haven't heard it yet, waiting patiently for the album)

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih2zTaqVXfM 00:18

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LIhj3nhFQ0 00:22

Sigh of relief??

I thought so when I first heard it, and I still think it might be the beginning of a long goodbye. Not that they're going to quit at the end of this tour - I don't think even THEY know when (or if) they're going to quit (they may let nature make this decision for them), but it seems they want to tell us it's been a great ride.

Then again, Time Stand Still talked about "old friends growing older" - 25 years ago! And The Fountain of Lamneth, an incredibly astute metaphor for life and death, was written when they were in their twenties!

Maybe they've been saying goodbye for forty years - I hope they add a few more yes.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 20 2012, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Apr 19 2012, 06:58 PM)
Why do people jump to such polarizing conclusions?

Dude, it's what we do around here.

Welcome to the forum

QUOTE (Queslington @ Apr 19 2012, 06:24 PM)
There's two reasons why I don't think it's a farewell song (although I haven't heard it yet, waiting patiently for the album)

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih2zTaqVXfM 00:18

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LIhj3nhFQ0 00:22

I was about to post the link to Neil accepting the award on behalf of the band. At the time, I loved hearing his comments about them not yet being done.

Two things spring to mind.... for me.

1 ) They are contractually obligated to put out another album with Road Runner ( though I suppose it could be a greatest hits album? )

2 ) For Neil to basically say " we're not done yet " speaks volumes.

Anythings possible, but I don't think that they've consciously discussed it between themselves and decided to hang em up at the end of December.

If they want it to be, it is. I think not just all of them turning 60 before they're done touring this album, but also, Geddy has made no secret about how difficult it is getting to sing more and more of the back catalog. And though I know many will protest my saying this, but as good a song as it is, his voice sounds frail on it. A nice frail, but frail nonetheless.

In the official Rush video...

I WISH

THAT I

COULD

LIVE IT

ALL

AGAIN

(Rush)

Edited by MMCXII