is headlong flight a farewell song

limbo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Apr 19 2012, 09:01 AM)
Neil explicitly stated that the lyrics were inspired by the death of Freddie Gruber. He also said that he didn't want to live his life again.

goodpost.gif

Not a goodbye for Rush. The fire in this song may be an indication of a new inspiration. They simply won't quit, especially if they had fun making the record. They will be back.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 19 2012, 09:57 AM)
Neil explicitly stated that the lyrics were inspired by the death of Freddie Gruber. He also said that he didn't want to live his life again.

goodpost.gif

Not a goodbye for Rush. The fire in this song may be an indication of a new inspiration. They simply won't quit, especially if they had fun making the record. They will be back.

I sure hope you guys are right.

As far as quoting Neil when he said he would not want to live his life over again, I would not extrapolate that to be the absolute gospel on how he feels at either this present moment, or how he felt while penning the lyrics.

Life is more complicated then that. Surely, most people on this board have felt one extreme or another in their life?

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 11:03 AM)
funny talking about them being back...when the being back part has not even happened for this album yet ;-)

?

They are back currently...or maybe I misunderstand.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 19 2012, 09:42 AM)
I can see how many fans are seeing it as a farewell song, but I'm not so sure. confused13.gif

The guys will be turning 59/60 years old this year, so they are naturally reflecting on their lives, careers, and life in general. As long as they have something to say, musically and lyrically, they're gonna say it. Even though there are fewer years ahead of them than behind them, that's no reason for them to hang it up. As long as their health/physical condition allows them to play, they're gonna PLAY!! yes.gif yes.gif

I agree...they just need to be inspired. Specifically...Neil does. He just needs a creative spark...a theme to write about.

BUT...if they are to make another album after this one...I would think / hope that it would take less than 5 years to do so.

HF certainly sounds like that spark is still there...so hopefully they see that and believe that they can still do more...

QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 19 2012, 10:05 AM)

goodpost.gif

As far as quoting Neil when he said he would not want to live his life over again, I would not extrapolate that to be the absolute gospel on how he feels at either this present moment, or how he felt while penning the lyrics.

Life is more complicated then that. Surely, most people on this board have felt one extreme or another in their life?

Would anyone really want to live his/her life all over again? Really? Honestly? confused13.gif confused13.gif

I sure wouldn't. If I had a choice, I would go back to infancy and lead a NEW life. Not because I think my life has sucked, but because I would want to experience the NEW....not redo what I've already done.

That's what life is all about - EXPERIENCE. I want to experience everything possible..... 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 19 2012, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 19 2012, 10:05 AM)

goodpost.gif

Would anyone really want to live his/her life all over again? Really? Honestly? confused13.gif confused13.gif

I sure wouldn't. If I had a choice, I would go back to infancy and lead a NEW life. Not because I think my life has sucked, but because I would want to experience the NEW....not redo what I've already done.

That's what life is all about - EXPERIENCE. I want to experience everything possible..... 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Given the alternative, I would do it all again, especially if it it could be done with the "knowing then what I know now part"!

For example, I would have bought 2112 the very first day I heard it on the radio in 1976. laugh.gif

This doesn't really seem all that farewell to me. More like, someone looking back on their journey - saying there was good times, bad times but it was all worth it.

Is there any particular lyric that makes people think they are saying goodbye? I just don't see it. If anything, seems like a re-affirmation of what they've done. Or maybe we are all just reading too much into it, seeing as it's a song on a concept album and probably reflects on the story.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 19 2012, 10:22 AM)

Given the alternative, I would do it all again, especially if it it could be done with the "knowing then what I know now part"!

Hey! No cheating!! no.gif dazed025.gif no.gif dazed025.gif laugh.gif

I dont get these topics. Rush cant answer this, so we sure cant. If one of them, god forbid, knock on wood, gets very sick in a year or 2, then yes it's the end. They arent young. If they stay healthy and still have the desire to continue, then no it's not the end.

/topic

While I believe that this is part of the entire story of Clockwork Angels, I can see why people would think this is a swan song for Rush. But I don't believe it. They have at least 1 more album in them. But hey, if they call it quits after this, they've had an amazing 40 year run.

But, at the same time, fists crying.gif

QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ Apr 19 2012, 10:56 AM)
While I believe that this is part of the entire story of Clockwork Angels, I can see why people would think this is a swan song for Rush. But I don't believe it. They have at least 1 more album in them. But hey, if they call it quits after this, they've had an amazing 40 year run.

But, at the same time, fists crying.gif

On Second thought, It might be there swan song but not their final tour. This is their 20th studio album. I think it will be their last, and Headlong Flight would be a very good "Closer" on tour. It would be a very good song to end their 40th Anniversay / Farwell to Fans Tour! Sorry to say.

sad.gif fists crying.gif sad.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 19 2012, 10:44 AM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 19 2012, 10:22 AM)

Given the alternative, I would do it all again, especially  if it it could be done with the "knowing then what I know now part"!

Hey! No cheating!! no.gif dazed025.gif no.gif dazed025.gif laugh.gif

Logically, if you go back to do it over again but don't know that you have already done it all, from your perspective it is the same as having done it the first time through.

So saying you would not like to do it all over again is the same as saying you wish you had not done it at all.

We may all be on an endless replay loop and just not know it.

cool10.gif

From Neil Peart "In late 2011, my drum teacher Freddie Gruber, towards the end of his long and adventurous 84 years, was reminiscing among friends and former students. Often he would shake his head and say, 'I had quite a ride. I wish I could do it all again.' That is not a feeling I have ever shared about the past -- I remain glad that I don't have to do it all again. While working on the lyrics for 'Headlong Flight,' the last song written for Clockwork Angels, I tried to summarize my character's life and adventures. My own ambivalence colored the verses, while Freddie's words inspired the chorus 'I wish that I could live it all again.'" ... Edited by snowdog212

It crossed my mind at first, but I dismissed it. I saw the video this morning. They took color footage and made it black and white and at the end they merge new footage. The lyrics are all old timey/50s style. This is definitely a farewell for the band.

This is NOT a "farewell" song!!! Think about the context, people. As some others have said before, the reflective lyrics are from the hero's point of view. Its near the end of the album, and he's looking back at his life. Also, the "some days were dark, some nights were bright, I wish that I could live it all again" was taken right from Freddie Gruber.

This isn't Rush saying farewell. Rush have said they wouldn't do a "farewell". It isn't their style. Granted, this may be their last album and tour for all we know... But can't know anything about that at this point, can we?

QUOTE (Coltonz @ Apr 19 2012, 04:11 PM)
This is NOT a "farewell" song!!! Think about the context, people. As some others have said before, the reflective lyrics are from the hero's point of view. Its near the end of the album, and he's looking back at his life. Also, the "some days were dark, some nights were bright, I wish that I could live it all again" was taken right from Freddie Gruber.

This isn't Rush saying farewell. Rush have said they wouldn't do a "farewell". It isn't their style. Granted, this may be their last album and tour for all we know... But can't know anything about that at this point, can we?

Agreed. Was basically going to post this.

Besides, Neil is simply not the type of person that would write a farewell song.... not these guys personalities to do that.

Im watching it now and the whole thing with them playing in the 70s made me come to a conclusion that they really might be done. If thats so, if they do split, then Ill have to see the red "split-up" notifier on Metal Archives. angry.gif